Sword & Shield Holo Pattern Revealed!

Scoop

Literally a sheep
It looks like a vertical tinsel pattern that's less vibrant. Interested to see how it looks in pictures, though before I pass judgement on it. Could end up being pretty alright.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Okay. But I can't imagine what the art looks like by just removing that holo pattern.

BW holo makes me hard to imagine the art.

Swampert Full Art

#GROOKEYGANG
I was thinking maybe a diagonal tinsel type pattern, but this is still decent. I wonder if this will also be used on the V cards, or maybe a second new pattern?

Snowy Lilacs

Aspiring Trainer
Meh its okay, but nothing will ever beat the original holo pattern from the Wizards of the Coast era cards

Oddish22

Aspiring Trainer
We have to see it in person to really judge it. It looks like BW 90° shifted, but finer and less bright, so you might be able to see the artwork better. It's OK, but it's already the second design part that makes me like SM better than SWSH, so for me BW < XY ? SWSH < SM.

autogatos

Aspiring Trainer
What was the holo pattern for S&M? Will we still get cards with other holo patterns (like how SM has galaxy, shattered, and a few others, not sure what the “main” one is)?

Sorry if these are obvious questions, this is the first time I’ve seen a new era released since I started playing (collected the base set as a kid in the 90s, but then stopped and just finally got back into the game right before Ultra Prism).

If this means no more galaxy holos, I will be sad. Those are my favorite. From an artistic perspective, a less symmetrical pattern is more visually appealing. I don’t love the straight lines here.

Edit: ok did some reading, is the diagonal wavy lines the “psychedelic” pattern/the main sun & moon pattern? And cosmos and cracked ice still appear on certain types of promos regardless of set?

Last edited:

KennethIverHansen

Aspiring Trainer
This somehow reminds me of the foil pattern for EX Cards....I Personally won't hate that, but I don't have a final opinion until "Real" pictures are shown

Oddish22

Aspiring Trainer
Edit: ok did some reading, is the diagonal wavy lines the “psychedelic” pattern/the main sun & moon pattern? And cosmos and cracked ice still appear on certain types of promos regardless of set?
1. Yes. 2. Possible, but we don't know for sure. It has been like that for the last 7 years, I don't know since when. But it has not always been like that. I personally don't like the cracked ice and wish the cosmos on the promos was a bit stronger (brighter).