'Pokemon V' Mechanic Announced: Zacian V, Zamazenta V from 'Sword & Shield!'

Poke_collector

Aspiring Trainer
Oh boy, another helping of the same old legendaries on new chase cards. Although if they plan to focus on Legendaries like they did for most of Gen 5's EXs, at least that means we'll avoid another secret rainbow rare Charizard hysteria for awhile.

Don’t bank on it. Zard is the most marketable/ profitable Pokemon so TPCi will make it so the price goes high even if it’s not playable like BS zard

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
All terrible.
I think terrible is very malleable term
If these were released around the time of gxs starting, they’d be incredible.
But we just have had tag teams, which are basically 250 + hp Pokémon with rediculous attacks. So on their scale, not to good.
Victini shows some promise though. Imagine double weldering to it against, say, reshizard.
Easy 3 prize take

gema5

Aspiring Trainer
lol the power creep is real. Tag Team powerlevel in ex/gx like basics, and we have not seen the digimon max mechanics yet.

FilpACoin

The Best Typo
Maybe only Pokemon V can be Gigamaxed? These look like EXs.
At the moment, it looks like they're not going too crazy with power creep. Good. As a whole, they have sort of impressive HP, but none of them are breaking new grounds or anything. And their attacks are alright. They might just be the shiny cards, though, and not the actually good cards. Like Kommo-O GX.

ShaQuL

@KabutoKingTCG
Maybe only Pokemon V can be Gigamaxed? These look like EXs.
At the moment, it looks like they're not going too crazy with power creep. Good. As a whole, they have sort of impressive HP, but none of them are breaking new grounds or anything. And their attacks are alright. They might just be the shiny cards, though, and not the actually good cards. Like Kommo-O GX.

They look like EX's but look at those attack costs and the HP boost!! Tapu Koko gained 30 and Keldeo and Regirock both gained 40! If they seriously don't rework how they handle evolving and 1 prize Pokemon, then I have a feeling the start of this generation will just be massive basics continued... I miss being able to evolve my Pokemon, miss being able to stand a chance against a GX without one but with Tag Teams and now these, it's getting out of hand.

I think they seriously need to buff evolving basics and Stage 1's and make Stage 2's worth using if this is the direction they are taking. But at the same time, buffing all of those will just lead to more power creeping so I don't know...

Both Victini and Celebi look crazy good too, I am kind of excited but at the same time wary.

And what is the point of Koko's attacking stopping it from attacking the next turn?? It has free retreat!! No downside to the attack whatsoever, I wish they would rework retreat costs as well, I get that it's based on game stats, but come on, tiny Victini has 2, hulking Regirock only has 3 and of course Koko has zero...

Last edited:

KeoKeo

Aspiring Trainer
I know power creep is inevitable.
but come on they're literally buffed EXes

hope that V-Max mechanic is good.
it had better be.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Celebi V - First atk is terrible since you are going to strand a 190 HP V mon with Terrible weakness, 2nd atk for 150 for GC, I could take that but you can't land KOs tho. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Victini V - First atk, Good. Water types haven't been good ATM, and accel energy is nice. Second atk, Really good, that's it. 4 Geodudes
  • Keldeo V - First atk, garbage. Second atk, 50 + 30x is better than 50+20x which means 3 W will push the dmg to 140 and KO Reshizard. The way to accel the energy tho. NagaQuag. 4 Geodudes
  • Tapu Koko V - First atk, bad. Only good early game. Second atk good but weird, 3 Electropower will push to KOing most Tag Teams. 4 Geodudes
  • Regirock V - 210 dmg max FC, 190 for 3 is good but I don't like recoils. Groudon is our only way to accel F right now. So F types are screwd for Energy accel. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Vs - Basically buffed EXs.

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
This power creep is getting out of hand. Less than two months ago, Keldeo GX was printed with 170 HP which falls inline with its EX counterpart. Now Keldeo V (which is supposed to be bad competitively judging by only recent history with starter decks) has a whopping 210 HP... Tapu Koko and Regirock have been treated similarly. But the worst offenders are Celebi and Victini. They are supposed to be fragile but powerful legendaries and in their EX era, were both printed with 110 HP. Now they have a whole 70 and 80 extra HP respectively. Victini V has 190 HP, a number that only became common on a basic two-prize-giving Pokémon a couple years ago when the bulkiest ultra beasts were able to achieve it.

zzzeraora

Aspiring Trainer
Wow. This is bullshit. They need to make Stage 1 and 2's insanely strong or else this game will be finally be objectively, undeniably shit. I really hope they make OTHER BETTER changes because there is absolutely no way a CELEBI of all things should have 180 hp, when not even 10 years ago, it's average HP was 80-90 less.

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
If we still had Venusaur, Celebi would be awesome. Celebi's attack is a buffed Zoroark GX btw. Problem is that we don't have any way of boosting that damage since Lurantis and Choice Band have rotated.

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer
The power creep is real with this one. Power creep exists in order to make people get new cards, and to try and create change within the meta, otherwise people would only play older cards and we'd see the same decks thrive in rankings from the start of a rotation until the next rotation. The only viable way to get rid of the power creep (or at least reset it) would be to completely cut out all existing sets and state that only sets produced from a certain point onward would be in standard. These sets would of course have weaker Pokemon and more balanced mechanics.

The only issue with that being that it could possibly alienate all current players, whose entire card sets would become utterly worthless in standard and would be forced to buy large amounts of cards from the new set/sets in order to compete, and due to this requirement, could see the TCG player base drop either significantly, or not at all.

Another option could be that they produce sets without any power creep affected Pokemon and when rotation comes around, they cut off the sets affected by power creep and that resets the power creep. The problem is that this means that sales of Pokemon TCG would be reduced as players would have no reason to get the new sets as almost none or very few cards were usable in the current meta, resulting in lacking sales for the TCG and then when rotation rolled around, players that hadn't bought cards from the latest sets would be forced to stock up on lots on cards in order to keep up with the meta, but that still wouldn't help sales recover all that much, and for Pokemon as a company, such a slump in sales, however temporary, would be unacceptable.

In short, in order to reset the power creep, Pokemon would either have to alienate the entire player and force them to get new sets of cards in order to play the game in standard, or would have to accept a fairly significant slump in sales before the next rotation, in order to prepare the meta for a power creep reset.

Either way, both ways mean taking a risk and since Pokemon is a company, taking risks is something companies don't like to do. Also, with the reveal of Pokemon V and with Pokemon V-Max still to be revealed, a power creep reset most certainly ain't happening this generation.

Funnily enough, continuing the power creep doesn't present much risk to Pokemon as a company. By continuing the power creep, they promote the sales of new cards, and when they want to sell more cards, they increase the power creep by a little bit each time. Unless we see a reset of the power creep, I wouldn't be surprised if cards similar to "Zoroark and Legendary Pokemon" eventually become standard playable cards within the next decade.

51WDYl8iG6L.jpg

While the power creep almost certainly dooms the evolution mechanic to uselessness, unfortunately, the TCG has been Basic Pokemon orientated since the advent of Pokemon EX with Next Destinies in 2012, so ultimately, the power creep hasn't changed much of the game since then.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
Not looking forward to big basics yet again. I've grown so tired of this card game and have just strictly stuck to collecting cards I like... which is unfortunate.