Discussion Unveiling my new favorite deck!

Good arguable point, getting weakness guard energy can be chance taking yes, but playing 3 isn’t as hard as you can imagine with all the right draw support in this list. 300 on turn 2 is too slow for this al well because I always choose to go second with this deck giving me the first attack and getting beedrill out and attaching a rainbow myself. Turn 2 I play switch and bring out beedrill. Knock out quick and simple, and then push up Ninetails for a wall. I get this all out every game consistently. Yes this deck loses to quaq most of the time with little to no gx Pokémon in that. It’ll lose to everyone of those type of decks, but it’s a deck that can win you cups, if you’re a good player! Acro is not better in this deck because you need to thin the cards in hand not off the deck, it’s been tried and doesn’t help anything.

I've been playing more Ability Reshizard to see how I can play against it, and trust me when I say Welder two turns in a row is a lot easier than I thought. If it's your turn going second, you have an exposed Rowlett Eggs in the active, during which case (weakness guard energy or not) I can take advantage of that with any of my non Reshizard attackers, leaving me up in the prize trade significantly. It'll be me taking 4 prizes(If you attack with Beedrill) and you only taking 1 or 2 going into my turn. And you still haven't set up another beedrill on the bench yet, so I am free to do take another prize card and win because you can't attack with beedrill or risk losing. And if you haven't come across this scenario at all then that is questionable because that is the bread and butter of ability zard at the moment.

All of that is said before the gusting on Ninetales. So they can gust before you set anything else up for a retaliation

In this case I’ll need to turn 2 scoop heads to get out of the situation.

That's not how it works. Your attack is evolving Beedrill with rowlett eggs in the active.Now we're going into my second turn since you always vouche to go 2nd. I have a non-reshizard in play with 3 energy attached. Depending on if you have a weakness energy or not determines if I want to GX attack with Heatran or just out right attack with baby blowns. Either way your rowlett eggs is in the active on my turn and I have the tools to KO it this turn.

While you can definitely set up perfectly ahead of me and I can brick or miss a welder in maybe one game. During that case I'd argue that ability zard is way more consistent at getting it's cards out in multiple matches

so I'm still a bit confused.

How is thinning your hand important? i mean, yeah, you play cynthia, but you really dont need to thin for it to work well. you could replace it with rare candy or order pad or anything that helps your deck to function. heck, you could run ingo and emmet or sightseer if you really care.

I think this deck can lose even to pikarom, as if you go second they can just custom catcher your lone beedrill, kill it, and judge you to a dead hand in the same turn. At the same time, they set up their tag bolt or elektross or whatever they could need to win.

I really dont know if this deck can work in the current meta. Maybe you have been playing against bad players or something, but in most people's local metas it's got generally negative matchups around the board and is probably only doing well as a deck people have no clue how to play the matchup around.

The hand thinning is important, because when you play this deck you wanna draw the cards you need off your resources like Cynthia, Or else you draw a bunch of dead cards. And drawing a card can be helpful too thinning 1 off the deck. It helps you fly threw everything smoothly.

This deck looks big brain. I’d suggest playing some sort of one energy attacker along with another beedrill line. I feel this would really struggle against tinatags unless you make a big brain custom catcher play on their gxs, but not all lists even play gxs.

Ok so I decided to give this deck a test and it went exactly as I predicted. It hates non-gx decks, takes an auto loss vs them and it loses SUPER hard to Abilityzard and Mewthree. Aside from my wins from my opponents quitting before the coin flips, my other wins came from my opponent bricking for 4 turns. I only had 1 win vs Pikarom because they had no answer vs Alolan ninetales, it wasn't beedrill or eggs being a problem for pikarom just the Alolan ninetales. Vs Reshizard and Mewthree they did not go well at all. The scenario I said happened MULTIPLE times. Also I couldn't find the weakguard energy turn 1 at any point during those games. Chose to go 2nd at every opportune coin flip. While I did set up Beedrill consistently against them and even got an attack off one time it was way too late. They were ahead in the prize trade 4-3 only needing one KO for them to win the game.

I wouldn't call this deck anti-meta nor anywhere near Meta. I originally believed before post rotation happened that Rowlett eggs would be alot better due to the lack of fire decks. But this metagame proved me completely wrong. Fire types are stronger than they were during the Unbroken Bonds metagame coming in full force. Playing Rowlett Eggs is a big liability to even have in your deck while abilityzard is the most common and easiest deck to pilot.

reshizard can be rough for sure. does Pikarom still play zapdos? if they're really desperate, they can attack with koko prism, which they could figure out in a bo3 world. I'd say worst matchups are and zard deck/welder and friends and tinatags, which arent losses you could afford to take.

blacephalon is kinda rough too.

reshizard can be rough for sure. does Pikarom still play zapdos? if they're really desperate, they can attack with koko prism, which they could figure out in a bo3 world. I'd say worst matchups are and zard deck/welder and friends and tinatags, which arent losses you could afford to take.

blacephalon is kinda rough too.

Some list do play zapdos and some don't. If I were pikarom Idk if i'd play zapdos or not. Not too familiar with Pikajudge this stage in the metagame lol
And yeah Blacephelon is also a bad matchup. Basically you have a bad match up against the top 4 decks in this metagame which to me doesn't say "anti-meta" The only good matchup you have is against Gardeon. Which isn't really a hoorah thing to brag about lol

If I were to change this deck, I would just lose the rowlett eggs engine all together and go straight Alolan ninetales+Beedrill+Rare Candy. As I stated towards him before leaving your Rowlett eggs exposed against Welder based decks is a HUGE liability :p Even if so the Beedrill engine is gimmicky at best. You're accepting the loss towards non-gx decks and focusing on KOing two TTGXs. Which isn't a terrible idea when said on paper

I've been hunting for big brain rogue decks that can beat the meta ever since me and piplup founded Team Megan Bonnett. I would love to try this out if it had answers!

Some list do play zapdos and some don't. If I were pikarom Idk if i'd play zapdos or not. Not too familiar with Pikajudge this stage in the metagame lol
And yeah Blacephelon is also a bad matchup. Basically you have a bad match up against the top 4 decks in this metagame which to me doesn't say "anti-meta" The only good matchup you have is against Gardeon. Which isn't really a hoorah thing to brag about lol
pikarom usually either runs zapdos or hoopa, so the zapdos versions are a negative matchup and the hoopa variant is a 50/50 ish machup

I tried the deck, and it's pretty meh. The bigger flaw is that it autoloses against 1 prize deck, such as Psychic Malamar, and Blacephalon (Burst + shot Exeggutor + 2 bees). Moreover, its reliance on non searchable cards such as Rainbow Energy and Super Scoop Up is pretty bad. Sorry but I don't like! Advice for another sloppy deck: if you like sloppiness as much as I did, you could try a Meganium box with Beedrill and Rampardos!

Yeah this deck turned out not to be the greatest atm, I’ve entered a bigger current event and could see the finals, it’s something I’ll highly reconsider when the next set comes out!

Back