Discussion GX & Tag Team-exclusive Effects in the Sword & Shield Era

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Perhaps I'm jumping the gun on this a little bit since Alter Genesis isn't even fully revealed yet and errata can, but I want to imagine I'm not the only person thinking about how the GX/Tag Team era of the TCG is going to clash with the upcoming V/V-MAX era of the TCG.

The main thing I want to accomplish with this thread is to compile a complete list of every card we know that will be in standard format for at least one more year (perhaps even more, i.e. Cherish Ball) that are exclusively effective on only GX Pokemon. I think I'll be able to cover the big ones myself, but I'm not fully knowledgeable on all card effects since I don't follow the TCG that closely so all help is appreciated (and I'll try to edit in everyone's additions to put it all in one spot)

I also want to open discussion on how people think GX decks (namely Tag Team) will fall into the mix. I hope this discussion will be on-going since obviously right now all we mostly have is pure speculation, but there are some incredibly crucial cards, i.e. Great Catcher, that I feel will have a pretty significant impact. Just like how Greninja BREAK still saw play during the dawn of the GX era, I do expect there to be some Tag Team decks that will perform throughout the upcoming standard format, but I think there's definitely more to think about and talk about when era shifts happen.

So without further ado, the list:

Pokemon

Glaceon GX
Hoopa
Alolan Ninetales (Fairy, Luminous Barrier)
Electrode GX (bringing this up because the ability doesn't work for GX Pokemon but can be applied to V/V-MAX)
Salamance GX (same as Electrode. The ability could give free retreat to all V/V-MAX Pokemon but not to GX).
Persian GX
Celesteela GX
Keldeo GX
Latios GX
Mewtwo & Mew GX
Umbreon & Darkrai GX
Aerodactyl GX

Items

Choice Helmet
All Fairy Charms
All Memories (In case they print a Silvally V/V-MAX this season)
Beast Bringer
Dusk Stone
Electromagnetic Radar
Cherish Ball
Tag Switch
Tag Whistle (a bit of a weird one since not exclusive to Tag Team Pokemon only)
Great Catcher

Stadiums

Shrine of Punishment
Power Plant
Brock's Pewter City Gym
Misty's Cerulean Gym

Supporters

Bonnie (technically I guess)
Coach Trainer
Brock's Training
Misty's Water Command
Red & Blue

My immediate thoughts about V/V-MAX decks are that Shrine of Punishment, Power Plant, and Great Catcher are going to be 3 of the most impactful cards that they will be immune to and will be part of the appeal of playing a V/V-MAX deck to begin with.

Things will kind interesting and/or awkward because you might play a Tag Team deck assuming that people aren't going to play Great Catcher because they assume they'll run into a V deck more often than a GX deck. I think Custom Catcher might become the gusting item of choice again come February strictly because it doesn't matter what kind of deck you run into.

Anyway, I think I've already gotten too long winded (as I usually do), so I'll cut it right there. Interested to hear other people's thoughts and if I missed any cards to consider.

Last edited:
Espeon&Darkrai-GX's first attack does 60 to a benched EX/GX.

I'm sure there are others in a similar vein, that do more damage to GXs and stuff.

Aerodactyl can only attack if there are no GXs or EXs on bench.

There's more, I'm sure, but I cbs researching rn.

Wasn't that the case with GX-s too? I mean, V-Pokemon look like a mix between GXs and Megas (fitting, since it's a rehashed, lazy mechanic in the games). It's possible they'll introduce new "V, V-MAX, GX" trainer cards - though I actually doubt it. It seems like they want to have a Standard where GX/V is a variable, just like GX/non-GX can be a variable. Possibly they'll have a Gust of Wind that only affects Vs and/or similar effects.

I'm just sad we'll probably never go back to just basics. Tag Teams are ridiculously degenerate, if we keep pushing it, we might as well just ask our opponent which deck they're playing and report the result without playing.

espeon & darkrai?

My bad, meant Umbreon and Darkrai (the dark lance attack that hits 60 to a GX or EX). Was thinking of that Tag Team and Espeon and Deoxys at the time of writing this up I think. I fixed it in the original post, thanks.

There are a lot of cards EX exclusive (Sigilyph DRX, Carbink FCO, Silver Bangle, Regice AOR, etc) so sadly, I wouldn’t expect an errata to previous cards in order to effect V/V-MAX pokemon

Back