First TCG Cards of Grookey, Sobble, Scorbunny, Zacian V, Zamazenta V!

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
card.php

But I don't know about thaaaat....

Did you seriously dig an e-reader era card to try and counter my theory?

Most grass neutral pokemon these days have electric weakness. Ludicolo, Mantine, about 90% of Kingdra versions (with the only exception I know of being BUS Kingdra), the Empoleon line, etc.

The only consistent exception are Grass/Bug pokemon, and apparently grass/poison in the sm era (Tentacruel was lightning weak until SM made it grass weak).

Also, as revealed by TPCi press release back in June, Sobble has tears as potent as 100 onions.

Final stage is going to be Water/Poison, I can bet on it.

Last edited:

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Water-type Volcanion and Water/Poison cards are weak to Grass these days. Though I think you're right, since this is a starter line and so is Empoleon.

The only water volcanion released are shining volcanion and prism star volcanion, both of which are weak to lightning in the tcg.

Tentacruel being weak to grass is an outlier - it had always been lightning weak until the SM era made it grass weak. I think that's the reason the Toxapex water card is also grass weak, as they tried to make the water/poison mons weak to grass even though it made no sense. It would be like making Swanna and Gyarados weak to grass.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Which they also did many times in Gyarados's case, until they finally figured out how much that didn't mesh with the games. If only they could do the same for making Eelektross weak to anything.

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
The only water volcanion released are shining volcanion and prism star volcanion, both of which are weak to lightning in the tcg.

Tentacruel being weak to grass is an outlier - it had always been lightning weak until the SM era made it grass weak. I think that's the reason the Toxapex water card is also grass weak, as they tried to make the water/poison mons weak to grass even though it made no sense. It would be like making Swanna and Gyarados weak to grass.
Ah, you're right. My bad. For some reason I swore Volcanion Prism was Grass weak.

As an aside, I wonder why Wishiwashi has been consistently weak to Lightning.

Zierant

Murcielago
The number of the legendaries in the set, what type usually aligns with being midway through the set? 138-139/202. Steel?

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
It seems random for Water cards (even for ones with secondary types in the older days, as only around Gen 5 did they start matching a bit more consistently to the video games, which is why I posted that Mudkip as the first example that came to mind, but we also had stuff like Gastrodon weak to Lightning or Seel weak to Metal in Gen 4). Some Oshawott are weak to Lightning, some are weak to Water. Water Starters should always be weak to Grass IMO unless they have a conflicting secondary type, but PCL just picks whatever they want sometimes.

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
Really wish we would get some fun weaknesses and resistances instead of this cookie-cutter crap. For instance, instead of a fire type Blaziken being weak to water it would be weak to psychic instead or Onix being resistant to lightning.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Ah, you're right. My bad. For some reason I swore Volcanion Prism was Grass weak.

As an aside, I wonder why Wishiwashi has been consistently weak to Lightning.

Probably to make it more of a Gyarados counterpart/simile? The first ever WishiWashi (in solo form) was weak to grass tho. I can't really explain that.

Sparkeagle

Aspiring Trainer
I wonder if the V cards are One attack mons since GX attacks are GX exclusive and they were included in the Solgaleo and Lunala jumbos so they didn't hide how many attacks and abilities they had

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
The number of the legendaries in the set, what type usually aligns with being midway through the set? 138-139/202. Steel?
Lost Thunder (214 card base set) had two Fairy cards at 138/139.
Team Up (181 card base set) had Trainers at 138/139.
Unbroken Bonds (214) also had two Fairy cards at 138/139.
Unified Minds (236) had two Darkness cards at 138/139.
Cosmic Eclipse (236) will likely have two Metal cards.

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
Comparing it to Lost Thunder and Unbroken Bonds, yeah, Metal or Fairy seems about right. Some combination of Fighting, Steel, and Fairy is what I figured these guys would be.

Probably to make it more of a Gyarados counterpart/simile? The first ever WishiWashi (in solo form) was weak to grass tho. I can't really explain that.
Makes sense, though they haven't done it for Milotic since the XY era.

Last edited:

Zierant

Murcielago
Lost Thunder (214 card base set) had two Fairy cards at 138/139.
Team Up (181 card base set) had Trainers at 138/139.
Unbroken Bonds (214) also had two Fairy cards at 138/139.
Unified Minds (236) had two Darkness cards at 138/139.
Cosmic Eclipse (236) will likely have two Metal cards.
Gonna guess they’re gonna be the obvious steel type. At least one of their typings. Wouldn’t count on them being dark since the leak mentioned an evil 3rd legendary.

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
At least 5Ban didn't get first dibs on drawing the single prize cards like the X/Y Pokemon did. Nothing against 5Ban, but I felt that them doing all the artwork for the first time the Gen VI Pokemon were in the TCG was kind of unfair to the other artists.

zzzeraora

Aspiring Trainer
Did you seriously dig an e-reader era card to try and counter my theory?

Most grass neutral pokemon these days have electric weakness. Ludicolo, Mantine, about 90% of Kingdra versions (with the only exception I know of being BUS Kingdra), the Empoleon line, etc.

The only consistent exception are Grass/Bug pokemon, and apparently grass/poison in the sm era (Tentacruel was lightning weak until SM made it grass weak).

Also, as revealed by TPCi press release back in June, Sobble has tears as potent as 100 onions.

Final stage is going to be Water/Poison, I can bet on it.
Agreed. Also, that one leaker who's been right about everything said sobble would have a spy theme....Don't spies poison drinks?

hervul

Aspiring Trainer
I like the clean V-card design, I was hoping they made something clean for the regular cards as well. Instead they went for that DATED curved metal style. Ugh!

GameOwl

I play Pokemon. Can you tell?
This probably took me way to long to figure out but I finally realized why the Solgaleo GX and Lunala GX cards from the Sun and Moon Collection Boxes didn't have types or energy costs! They were keeping it a secret! Which means V Pokemon probably do need energies to attack! Whew, that's a relief.

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Yay, new templates! I'm definitely liking these more than the SM templates. I wonder how evolved Pokémon will look?

It seems weird that they're hiding the Legendaries types, unless they're adding a new one. Seems pretty obvious that they'd be Steel or Steel/Fighting to me.