'Alter Genesis,' 'High Class Pack 2019' Sets Announced for Japan!

TatsuyaOrimuta

Aspiring Trainer
If we can find a good way too power Flygon up it's really good (aside from being a stage 2). I still can't believe we're getting a Flygon GX though like wow.

CynderDarkov

Aspiring Trainer
Wow a Sunflora. Wasnt there someone here who wanted that a lot? The first attack is very interesting that could borderline on possible abuse.

Flygon GX is..it's pretty ok. It can hit pretty big numbers actually. Maybe Red and Blue and the existing fighting support can help it achieve the attacks easier.

Gabs Kazumi

Amateur Illustrator @kazumi.draws
Flygon is one of my faves and seeing it in this card is pretty... disappointing. As if it were not enough being a Stage 2 card, which doesn't have support at all in our current format, the energy costs can't be accelerated at all.

I thought they would give it a nice Ability since it's a Stage 2 GX, like Solgaleo's Ultra Road or something, or even something to spread damage like the Flygon from Boundaries Crossed (?), but they went with the worst possible sandstorm-themed approach.

The art is nice and I want it in my collection bc it's still Flygon, but it could be better.

xTITAN

Training Aspirer
Nothing makes me happier than seeing a cool stage 2 Pokemon get a card with terrible attack costs and mediocre damage output. Thanks, TPCi, you really made my day.

xTITAN

Training Aspirer
Tiny brain: Using Sun Power to attack with ReshiZard for free next turn.
Big brain: Using Sun Power to attack with Sun Power for free next turn.

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
XRarj7i.jpg

PrairieDoc21

Professor
Advanced Member
How does sunflora’s first attack work with tag team gx moves? Do you get to ignore the bonus attack requirements too? Sun power one turn, double blaze gx for 300 the next because you can ignore energy costs? That’s how I read it at least.

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
Just realized if Alolan Ninetales is 56/95, the baby Tag Team must be a promo or from SM12a.
How does sunflora’s first attack work with tag team gx moves? Do you get to ignore the bonus attack requirements too? Sun power one turn, double blaze gx for 300 the next because you can ignore energy costs? That’s how I read it at least.
The additional energy cost is considered part of the effect and not technically the energy cost so you'd still need the extra energy for the bonus effect, as per attacks that copy other attacks but ignore energy cost.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
No, it's not part of the cost, it's an additional requirement.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Sunflora - first in 9 years!!! Good News. The first atk is nuts and abusable. Bad News. DCE rotated and its a Stage 1 and frail HP. hooo! 3-4 Geodudes
  • Azurill - First in 12 years!!! I don't think the ability would work. There's Will if you want. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Flygon-GX - 270 HP Stage 2 which KOs Pikarom for FFF with the fact that only Groudon will help you accel the energy and it is from the hand. Yay!! Also KO most TTGX with Diancie and Dojo. 4 Geodudes searching this out is very hard! (I dunno what happened to me)

Dusk Form Lycanroc

Champion of Alola
That Sunflora is going to be OP and will most likely make a lot of high energy cost GX worth something (Sad though that its only for Grass and fire type Pokemon)

Swampert Full Art

#GROOKEYGANG
I'm super glad we got this, but it's really shameful that Pokémon like this are getting new cards and yet half of the BW Pokémon haven't got a card in the SM era

GalaxyNinja45

Aspiring Trainer
You'd still need all the energy needed to get the bonus effect. The Sunflora lets you ignore the cost of the attack, it doesn't make it zero.
Example: Reshiram & Charizard can use Double Blaze GX for 200 damage without energy, but to get the bonus 100 damage and ignore other effects, you'd need 6 energy, as the attack's cost is still 3 fire + 3 bonus fire.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
I'm super glad we got this, but it's really shameful that Pokémon like this are getting new cards and yet half of the BW Pokémon haven't got a card in the SM era

57 Pokemon haven't been printed in SM, and only 25 of them are Gen 5s, which isn't that bad considering we could still get some more of them in Alter Genesis and there's more Pokemon in Gen 5 than any other Gen.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
You'd still need all the energy needed to get the bonus effect. The Sunflora lets you ignore the cost of the attack, it doesn't make it zero.
Example: Reshiram & Charizard can use Double Blaze GX for 200 damage without energy, but to get the bonus 100 damage and ignore other effects, you'd need 6 energy, as the attack's cost is still 3 fire + 3 bonus fire.

Do we have an already existing card effect that we can confirm this works this way? I'm not sure it wouldn't mean ignore it (so 3 would be sufficient).

If this Pokémon has at least 3 extra Fire Energy attached to it (in addition to this attack's cost), this attack does 100 more damage, and this attack's damage isn't affected by any effects on your opponent's Active Pokémon. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

[C][C] Sun Power: During your next turn, ignore all Energy in the attack costs of each of your [G] and [R] Pokemon in play (including Pokemon put in play during that turn).

Might change based on the english translation, of course...

Compendium-ex has this to say about Rayquaza-EX (which has an ability that is similar):

http://compendium.pokegym.net/compendium-ex.html said:
Q. What happens if Rayquaza-EX with "Rage Aura" is affected by something that could increase the cost of its "Special Circuit" or "Sky-high Claws" attacks?
A. Rage Aura sets Rayquaza-EX's attacks to specific costs, similar to when an effect sets a Pokémon's Retreat Cost to 0. Special Circuit would remain {L} and Sky-high Claws would remain {L}{L}.

That ability has the same core wording ("ignore"):

Rage Aura: If you have more Prize cards left than your opponent, ignore all Colorless Energy necessary to use Rayquaza ex's Special Circuit and Sky-high Claws attacks.

I think that suggests the attack cost is set to 0, and so the "3 extra fire energy" is indeed extra but extra to 0, not to 3, so 3 total attached would suffice.

Last edited:

zzzeraora

Aspiring Trainer
Nothing makes me happier than seeing a cool stage 2 Pokemon get a card with terrible attack costs and mediocre damage output. Thanks, TPCi, you really made my day.
I've noticed that not a single sun and moon set doesn't have this. And people get upset when i call them monkeys...