'Alter Genesis,' 'High Class Pack 2019' Sets Announced for Japan!

• Volcarona GX - The ability nice. Softening the opponent for a KO. The atks are unimpressive except the fact that the main atk KOs Dedenne and most non-GXs. 4 Geodudes
  • Lunala - the ability doesn't include the GX. Solgaleo and Solgaleo-GX are different names. If we have a good Solgaleo, Lunala's ability will help. Plus, its a stage 2 which makes it a bit awkward. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Armaldo - In order to do more dmg, we need to rely on Pokemon Reasearch Lab. Not good. If we got 4 Unidentified Fossils in the discard, that's 220. KOs most GXs despite some that hits for weakness. Plus Diancie*, 240 KOs Pikarom ignoring the weakness thingy. Plus, if you're behind on prizes and you have basic F, 280 KO Tag Teams ignoring again, weakness. The problem is.. its reliance to Pokemon Research Lab which ends most of your turns plus the loss of Timer Ball, plus the fact that its a Stage 2 in nature lets it down. Plus, again the fact of the DCE loss. Ok, I'll stop. 2-3 Geodudes
  • Mawile - Meh. We got something better. 2 Geodudes
  • Drampa - MEEEEEEEHHHH!!! 1-2 Geodudes
  • Alolan Ninetales - you don't do too much damage. Like Rotom, you have to play more tools. Hence, this and Rotom make a good pair. We don't have CB tho. 3 Geodudes
  • Mega Lopunny & Jigglypuff TTGX - Welder is broken once more. Their atk costs is payable by Welder. Snipe 200 for 5 as its GX atk, I'm fine. 4 Geodudes
  • Tag Whistle - Better Pokemon Search and Tag Team cards. 4 Geodudes
  • Island Tour License - used for Prize Denials? 3 Geodudes. This thing is very questionable.
  • Cynthia & Caitlin - Built-in VS Seeker with some bunch of draw power. Nice! 5 Geodudes.
  • Red & Blue - After the Worlds, I don't see any GXs being playable and good. Dragonite and Magcargo r being used as discard fodder for MooMoo. If we ever get that, we got Red & Blue. 4 Geodudes
I'll update my set list soon. Just wait.

The ninth Tag Team for Cosmic Eclipse should be Naganadel & Guzzlord. My current list is assuming that the Carracosta-GX gym promo will be in our set as well, so that would leave two unknown regular GXs
Cramp! You're right. But still, I'll lump their FAs because its too weird to include them in SS Base which we don't know if we are keeping the card template of SM. (But they will). Cosmic Eclipse will consists of everything from SM11ab, SM12, and SM12a

Last edited:
As for the actual cards...

Jigglypunny is as gimmicky to be expected from a Jiglypuff card. At least it has Mew2 synergy.

Volcarona seems really powerful, but having to use Welder every turn to power it up is lame - yet here enters Red and Blue. Art is an abomination, but it makes a potential deck less Welder-dependant.

For that matter Red and Blue is a blessing in this post-rotation world. Evolution GX can now be viable, not only colorless and fire ones. I'm really happy about this card, now if only its art wasn't so ugly...

Drampa hits 140, and Dragon happens to have many energy attachment tools while also keeping Mysterious Treasure. May warrant some testing.

Lunala's viability entirely depends on the rulings - does Solgaleo GX count as Solgaleo for the purposes of the card? Does Solgaleo prism? 130 for PPC is already done better by Malamar and Giratina, so we also need to get a damn good Solgaleo out of this set to make this work... unless they want you to load Solgaleo and Lunala TTGX, and that's as stupid as it gets.

Armaldo is cool. A fossil deck doesn't have to rely on Unidentified Fossil with Research Lab, but the CC cost in a non-double colorless world is bad. I know potential 220 for C maybe would be crazy, but c'mon, fossils need all the love they can get.

Tag Whistle - okay consistency tool. Caitlin and Cynthia - ugly art, cute effect, I would rather Lusamine for discarded supporters. Draw 3 is cute but a deck that would seek to recycle supporters probably wouldn't bother.

Island License is... weird. Maybe used on decks teching gx on single prize decks, like Dedenne-Gx, but that idea probably warrants too much deckspace.

Alolan Ninetales - may be used on Rotom decks or warrant its own variant with teched Rotoms and using Fairy Charms now that the option is there.

Volcarona?! Nice! One of the best Gen 5's finally got something good! Mega Lopunny is cool too (even though lowkey, more excited for the Puff over Lopunny itself). I'm excited to see the tag team trainer full arts though. Those could end up being good.

EDIT: Lopunny+Puff could be good in Archie's Blastoise possibly?? Interested to see where this card goes.
Even in Standard I already see this as a super good tech for any deck using Welder, or maybe Malamar charging up the energies if the other attackers don't do it. PuffBunny (The nickname I'm gonna use at the moment) actually looks like a really solid card. All it takes is 2/3's of their bench to be GXs and it hits 300, and in Expanded if they decide to put down a bunch of GXs via Sky Field then it gets even better.

Woah, really cool to see a Volcarona card. One of my favorites and never thought it would get a big card.

It's got a lot of cool effects that could assist Blacephalon GX/Reshizard, but I don't think those decks are going to give up consistency just for passive 20 damage.

It might even stand up as a deck of its own. In some ways you can see this is a better Decidueye GX, and Decidueye GX/Zoroark GX was a respectable deck for a while. It's not like fire lacks the resources to recover its energy from discards (Fire Crystal) or lacks the ability to get that fire energy in hand in the first place (Fiery Flint) to loop its ability, and being a stage 1 that means you don't need rare candy or anything of the like. Most importantly, it means that you can much more easily get 2-3 of these in play faster than you could 2-3 Decidueye GX to start burning with the ability sooner.

The peak damage per turn with a board of these guys is 240 (4 abilities = 80 + 160 swing), and noteably as it places damage counters instead of does damage, stuff like Mew can't shut it down.

Don't really see Volcarona topping any competitive charts, but I'm always down to just play decks with Pokemon I like.

Drampa: 67
First Colorless card in the set: 73

Looking almost certain that the Jangmo-o line is gonna be in this set, with two Jangmo-o cards because it's a three-stage evolution line as per tradition in the main SM sets. The only other Dragon Pokemon after Drampa in the National Dex are Guzzlord and Naganadel.
Ultra Necrozma is also a possibility, but yeah, I agree with you!

I'm sorry, but isn't that Armaldo gonna be just a tweensy bit unbalanced? It's a stage 2 (essentially stage 1) non-gx that can hit 220 with 1 energy attachment, assuming you got it into play with pokemon research lab. add diancie prism, you can knock out low HP tag teams...

Trivia on why Cynthia & Caitlin

Back on the BW anime aka the Worst Pokemon Series in the anime, there was a competition in Unova where Ash and Friends were competing. In that arc, we see the return of Dawn and her Piplup and the debut of Cameron who smacks Ash in the Unova League. One of the battles in the tournament was Cynthia vs Caitlin. And as a Sidenote, Cynthia and Caitlin were from Sinnoh

Or just the fact that cynthia and caitlin are friends enough for cynthia to use her summer house in undella Town.

PuffBunny is alot like Snorlax & Eevee. It can be teched into certain decks for the match ups. Because we are in such a GX heavy format it'd be good to tech into almost any deck that can accerlate 3 energy. Welder based decks, Pikarom, Dialga Palkia Arceus, Malamar. Now it really depends on if we get any new trainer cards that'll help out non-GX decks outside of Malamar.

Red & Blue looks really good if we ever get any good Evolving GX pokemon, ATM that doesn't seem to be the case. We can look back at some previous evolving GXs that couldn't shine where Red&Blue will solve this issue. Possibly Lucario GX?

Cynthia & Caitlin. Cool Draw support+VS Seeker. Someone's going to make a scary combo with this supporter.

As for the actual cards...

Drampa hits 140, and Dragon happens to have many energy attachment tools while also keeping Mysterious Treasure. May warrant some testing.

Lunala's viability entirely depends on the rulings - does Solgaleo GX count as Solgaleo for the purposes of the card? Does Solgaleo prism? 130 for PPC is already done better by Malamar and Giratina, so we also need to get a damn good Solgaleo out of this set to make this work... unless they want you to load Solgaleo and Lunala TTGX, and that's as stupid as it gets.

No they don't. The prism and GX are part of their names so this ability only applies to "baby" Solgaleo. I imagine the Solgaleo in this set will probably have synergy with this Lunala so we'll have to wait and see.

Lopunny/Puff and Tag Whistle seem busted in ReshiZard. Guess red deck will stay BDIF for another three months.

Alolan Ninetales would make for an interesting no-energy deck with rotom.

Also, Lunala is listed as a basic Pokémon even though it’s not (too bad it isn’t actually one lol)

ok, so the new cards from this set seem busted, just want to make sure, Arceus Tag Team's GX + abilty counts for the whole game, right?

Back