• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Janine’s Venomoth GX Deck - PLEASE HELP only one week left!

robot romeo

Aspiring Trainer
Edit: My gaming convention is a week away. I was really hoping to get some advice on this deck before I go. Is my trainer line terrible? Any trainer cards that I missed? Are some of these trainers a waste of space? I’ll take any suggestions anyone makes. Thanks again. :)

Hi, I’m just a casual player. I’m going to a tabletop convention at the end of the month and want to bring a fun deck to play a couple pickup games with.

I’ve decided on a post-rotation Venomoth GX deck. Bug-types are my favorite and I love the idea of using only Janine’s pokemon team. Here is what I have:

Pokemon - 12
3 Venomoth GX UB
2 Venomoth UB
4 Venonat UB
2 Tentacool UB
1 Gligar UB

Trainers - 35
4 Janine UB
3 Koga UB
3 Cynthia UP
2 Erika’s Hospitality TU
1 Lillie UP
1 Green’s Exploration UB
1 Professor Elm’s Lecture LT
1 Brock’s Grit TU

4 Net Ball LT
4 Pokemon Communication TU
4 Custom Catcher LT
2 Pokegear 3.0 UB
1 Pal Pad UP
1 Switch

1 Life Forest LT
2 Dust Island UB

Energy - 13
9 Grass Energy
4 Weakness Energy

This is my first attempt at deck building, I usually only play theme decks online. I figured I could start attacking with Venomoth’s 1 energy attack while I setup Venomoth GX’s 3 energy attack. And the more special conditions I can inflict the better. Gligar and Tentacool could be useful against Fire and Electric types.

I really would like to stick with the Pokemon line even though it’s more thematic than functional. But what would make this deck run better? What card quantities need to be adjusted? Should I add tools like Ear Ringing Bell?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:

K-Genesis

Aspiring Trainer
Hard to say anything about Gligar and Tentacool, I don't know what they do and can't search it up right now. If you're willing to diversify your line-up, I'd consider a 2-2 Parasect line. It deals damage to confused enemies between turns, so you can get back-to-turn knockouts on TT-mon after Koga's Trap.

About your Supporter line, I'd try to find room for a Surge. It's the only way you can use both Koga and Janine on a given turn, which can win you games. Replace Green's with Bill's Analysis and do include Ear-Ringing Bells if you decide to include Parasect.
Other than that, only through testing.

Items need more PokeGear 3.0. Janine is just too important to miss. Maybe one copy of Stamp for late-game situations. And Life Forest might not pull its weight, Venomoth isn't tanky enough

Finally, you need Triple Energy Acceleration. A 3-turn attachment with this meta is unfeasible. Accept the weakness to Fire, Reshizard knocks you out either way.

Let us know how you do.

robot romeo

Aspiring Trainer
Hard to say anything about Gligar and Tentacool, I don't know what they do and can't search it up right now. If you're willing to diversify your line-up, I'd consider a 2-2 Parasect line. It deals damage to confused enemies between turns, so you can get back-to-turn knockouts on TT-mon after Koga's Trap.

About your Supporter line, I'd try to find room for a Surge. It's the only way you can use both Koga and Janine on a given turn, which can win you games. Replace Green's with Bill's Analysis and do include Ear-Ringing Bells if you decide to include Parasect.
Other than that, only through testing.

Items need more PokeGear 3.0. Janine is just too important to miss. Maybe one copy of Stamp for late-game situations. And Life Forest might not pull its weight, Venomoth isn't tanky enough

Finally, you need Triple Energy Acceleration. A 3-turn attachment with this meta is unfeasible. Accept the weakness to Fire, Reshizard knocks you out either way.

Let us know how you do.

That’s great advice. I already have most of those cards. I’ll try it out. Thank you so much!