'Hidden Fates,' Special Set Releasing in America This August!

CaptainJuuice

Aspiring Trainer
Really not a fan of the artwork on the regular GX cards, and the fact they're all Kanto. Can't wait for that tag team and the shinies though!

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I can continue Completing my Kanto FA Collection! We just need a Lt. Surge FA.
I'm hoping Surge will get one. It'd suck to have 7/8 of them (not including Janine) have them but just leave Surge out. It's the same pain of Suicune and Regice not getting EXs, or the remaining megas who never got EXs either. Maybe in the Best of Sun and Moon thing or whatever it's called.

Really not a fan of the artwork on the regular GX cards, and the fact they're all Kanto. Can't wait for that tag team and the shinies though!
I actually quite like some of the normal GX's. The Zard especially is actually one of my favorite ones this era due to how simple it is. I can see why people wouldn't like them though, but honestly that simplicity is a HUGE breath of fresh air for me. The shinies though, I share that excitement with you-I'm gonna be blowing a LOT of money on them, lol.

CynderDarkov

Aspiring Trainer
I just really want a playset of shiny Inkay/Malamar and shiny Rayquaza GX when it comes out. And also maybe shiny Poipole, but idk baby Naganadel isn't a shiny which is what I would use Poipole with.

K_la

Aspiring Trainer
Hard pass on wasting money for predominantly non-standard shiny cards. Of the new cards nothing stands out. I wonder why Pokemon does this? I'm sure profit margins would be higher if the did this for when most of the cards were playable.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
44 out of 163 cards in Hidden Fates are not legal in Standard right now. So let's get the misconception that "most of the set isn't legal" out of way; 75% of them are, and the ones that aren't legal have high collector appeal.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
I'm hoping Surge will get one. It'd suck to have 7/8 of them (not including Janine) have them but just leave Surge out.

I think their peace offering to Surge was putting him on a CHR in Dream League. I wouldn't expect to see Treaty get a full art print now.

Pone

Delta Species is best species
Sorry, but I won’t be buying product for this set. A hundred cards in the subset and you’re not even guaranteed to get one in a pack. Honestly that’s the kind of blatant cash grab that makes collectors stop collecting. Who at TPCi really thought that was okay? It absolutely blows my mind.

John Wick

Aspiring Trainer
F*** T&T
TCG Player is better source and eBay sellers have been selling for under 400. Definitely not going higher than that. Plus, TT has already been proven to sell NM only but keep Gem ones to grade and sell in their different account. Look it up you'll see. Never trust TT for cards to grade etc.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
People are insane to be buying anything that expensive from this set already when we only have a few stray Youtube videos to try to suss out what the Shiny Vault pull rates even are.

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
Sorry, but I won’t be buying product for this set. A hundred cards in the subset and you’re not even guaranteed to get one in a pack. Honestly that’s the kind of blatant cash grab that makes collectors stop collecting. Who at TPCi really thought that was okay? It absolutely blows my mind.

This 100000%. I was actually really excited about this set until this was revealed, and the fact that the cards in the "main set" that are not Shiny are useless, unplayable, boring versions of the same Kanto Pokemon for which we already have a million cards just adds major insult to injury. Seriously, what's the point?

It's really disgusting and makes the fun of opening packs lose its appeal. At least with the massive 200+ card sets, despite the litany of issues, there is some added fun in the variety of Pokemon you can pull. Now, I don't see the point of spending ~$60 on the ETB, for example, only to get 10 packs containing 97 filler cards and 3 shinies that will in all likelihood end up being Ralts, Riolu and Shuppet. The least they could have done was only included the Shiny GX cards -- that would have made this ridiculous decision a little more palatable. #BoycottHiddenFates

ArcaneVoidDancer

Aspiring Trainer
This 100000%. I was actually really excited about this set until this was revealed, and the fact that the cards in the "main set" that are not Shiny are useless, unplayable, boring versions of the same Kanto Pokemon for which we already have a million cards just adds major insult to injury. Seriously, what's the point?

It's really disgusting and makes the fun of opening packs lose its appeal. At least with the massive 200+ card sets, despite the litany of issues, there is some added fun in the variety of Pokemon you can pull. Now, I don't see the point of spending ~$60 on the ETB, for example, only to get 10 packs containing 97 filler cards and 3 shinies that will in all likelihood end up being Ralts, Riolu and Shuppet. The least they could have done was only included the Shiny GX cards -- that would have made this ridiculous decision a little more palatable. #BoycottHiddenFates
I 100% agree with this. TPC could have added a standard shiny card per pack, with the chances to pull a shiny GX card in every 3 packs. Now the issues is that if people are hunting for a specific card, (Charizard GX) they are at loss due to the chances of pulling a full art trainer, the gold rarity GX cards, a standard shiny card. a regular holo, or the average GX in this set. This set seems like a pure cash grab. I could understand maybe if most cards were playable, but theses are just reprints of your typical past GX cards that are now out of rotation. What is the point? They should have went with the Shining Legends model by limiting the pool of collectors sought cards.

zzzeraora

Aspiring Trainer
I think the Shiny Vault should have just been promos. Make a box for every type of Pokemon and include all shinies of that type.

Snowy Lilacs

Aspiring Trainer

Its the bastardized americanized way of life. Its all about the money, money, money.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
While yes TPCi wants to make money, the American pulls rates are still better than the Japanese equivalent where you get 1-2 shinies per box, and Japan is also the originating source that in Gen 7 started pumping out 10-12 sets a year that have to be combined into 4-5 English ones. So the money train cash grabbing isn't exactly an American-exclusive phenomenon lately...

Scoop

Literally a sheep
The pull rates are fine for me personally. It's better than the Japanese rates, or normal international set pull rates. And really, the fact that the normal GXs aren't playable isn't a bad thing-Im really refreshed to have something that's appealing for collectors like myself.

The fact of the matter is, Pokemon products are never a good deal unless you get them on sale. I don't see why this is a bigger deal than the other products that basically guarantee to give you less in the end. Even if theres tons of shinies in this set, you're still going to get more out of an ETB from this over an ETB from the latest set. I'd much rather get a few non GX shinies over getting a single filler GX that's worth 2 dollars aftermarket.

Yes, this set is huge, and I'd have liked 1 shiny per pack, but I'm not complaining about the rates. I'm gonna get the products for fun, and then complete the set by getting singles. Most of them besides Zards or anything meta will likely be affordable if they're printed a lot. It's simply infeasible to pull an entire set-singles are a collector's best friend.