Discussion What Happened to Expanded Tournaments?

Expert_Occultist

Magic card player
The title says it all; why haven't there been any large expanded tournaments this... year? I'd like to see where the meta's at but finding top expanded decks has become next to impossible. Every tournament on limitless' tournament page is standard. Have there been any official announcements regarding this? Will there be any expanded tournaments in the future?

I also don't want to turn this into an "expanded's broken" or "expanded is a problem" thread. I just want to know where my favourite format (after old school cube ;)) went?

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
There were several US Expanded tournaments last year; there are in fact quite a few this year, also, some of the bigger US Regionals are expanded (Collinsville, for example, is).

Some regions don't have much Expanded, though, presumably due to lack of interest/attendance.

Kalnhobbs

Aspiring Trainer
Thank you but I've seen these before. Are there any expanded lists from after Unbroken Bonds?
I too am having a hard time figuring out what the meta and decks will look like in expanded with what Unbroken Bonds and Unified Minds have added to the format. There is not much to go off of right now as all the Big tournaments were prior to those sets releasing and finding info on lists that won cups and such are pretty few and far between. My best advice is start playing expanded online as much as you can and keep an eye on early expanded event results in Q1 of the 2020 Worlds season to get a head start on what expanded will look like until Cosmic Eclipse (which will then be flooded by Reshiram Zekrom).

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
The problem with Expanded meta is that the last Edpanded regional happens about a month before NAIC, and the next big Expanded Regional doesn't happen until a month or two after Worlds.

The 2019/2020 season will be weird. We don't get our first Expanded Regional until the beginning of November. The next is is exactly a week after that one--but neither will have Cosmic Eclipse legal.

Two months later, we gets Dallas, and then there's an Expanded Regional every month until April.

So for this year, we start expanded SUPER LATE, and end Expanded season SUPER EARLY.

Expert_Occultist

Magic card player
The problem with Expanded meta is that the last Edpanded regional happens about a month before NAIC, and the next big Expanded Regional doesn't happen until a month or two after Worlds.

The 2019/2020 season will be weird. We don't get our first Expanded Regional until the beginning of November. The next is is exactly a week after that one--but neither will have Cosmic Eclipse legal.

Two months later, we gets Dallas, and then there's an Expanded Regional every month until April.

So for this year, we start expanded SUPER LATE, and end Expanded season SUPER EARLY.

Thank you for this info. Now I at least know when to look forward to more tournament info