Finished DUNGEONS AND DRAGONITES 3 - CANCELLED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vracken

Just a Ghost of the Past
What, Dungeons and Dragonites?!?!?!?!?

Yea, that’s right, I am going to try to run it, kind of. It has been a few years since the last game ended, maybe it should stay dead, but I have had a couple of people who knew I was originally going to run D&D2 ask for me to have my hand at it. So here I am. I found something I liked, I have some ideas. So on to the questions.

What is Dungeons and Dragonites?

It's a game of chance, and randomness. It might only be inputting commands for combat. It might have Role Playing. It might basically be some weird form of resource simulation. This is all depending on what the players want to do. At its core though, it is still based somewhat on the Dungeons and Dragons system.[/Spoiler]

How do you make a character in Dungeons and Dragonites?

This is where things are somewhat different than in the other games. Characters are going to be mostly pre-generated. This is where the Alpha in the title of this thread comes into play. This is as much a test for the system, as it is for me, as it is for the players. As such, character customization is limited to four things.

Do you want to be an ex-human (human transformed into a Pokemon) living in the Pokemon World? Yes/No
What starter do you want to play as?
What is your nature? (natures have no effect on stats, but they are important for other things)
What is more important to you, Damage or Accuracy?

The observant among you might notice that there is no asking for classes. There is no request for backstory, or skills, or anything of that sort. This is intentional. Should the first part of this game be successful, those things may or may not be added, but my plan is to slow roll things out, see what works and what doesn't. That way, I can adjust things that either I, or the players, or even the observers feel are missing.

So ah, what do I do? How do I do that?

Right now, all I need from players are those three points above to be answered, and for anyone interested in playing to tell me exactly what they want out of the game (even those that are slow to signups, so that if a full version ends up existing I can keep what they think in mind as well).

Do you want a strict combat game?
Do you want role playing?
Do you want a story?
What do you think of character death?
Do you want resource/inventory management?

How is the game played?

The game is, at this time, played by sending in action reports to me, in PMs. The first module will be based primarily around combat. So I will present players with options available to them. I am modelling maps off of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon universe for the time being, but it is up to players to maintain a map of the dungeon, and figure out where they want to go. This is probably going to lead to frustration at some points, but there is already going to be a lot of work placed on me without having to constantly update players on where they are and where they have been. This means the burden is on the players to keep things rolling as much as it is on me.

As for combat, things will be much like they have in other tabletop games. Combat phases will look something like this.

I will roll initiative for all players and all npc's.
I will require an action from each player. Please note that all actions have a chance to fail.
There are several available actions listed below.
  • Attack - Using a move
  • Move - Reposition oneself
  • Evade - Reduce a single opponent's accuracy for this turn against you
  • Clash - Reduce opponents damage to deal them low damage as well
  • Cover - Take cover behind something (such as an ally). This is an extension of the move action
  • Item - Use an item
  • Multi action - Take multiple actions (up to 5, permitting your action points). Multi action reduces accuracy and increases fail chance for all actions.
    • When submitting a Multi-action, please submit in order you wish them to occur. Earlier actions are reduced less than later actions are.
  • Revive - Revive a downed ally using Insight+Survival+Nature. Revived Allies come back with 1 hitpoint but also with a Pain Penalization until they recover hitpoints. Can only attempt a revive once per downed ally until that ally is revived
Then actions will resolve in order of those commands.
I will issue damage
Then it starts all over again (from 1).

Action Points
In there you will note that there is a term called “Action Point”. It is essentially how many things you can do in one turn. Your stats dictate how many you get per turn, and they directly affect your accuracy and failure rate. The more you spend in one turn, the less accurate your attacks become, and the higher your chance at failing any other actions you might take, as you are attempting to do many things in a short period of time. As such, if you really want something to succeed, focusing on just doing that one thing greatly increases your chances of success. For the alpha test, you likely won't have enough to do multiple actions at once, but as you level up, and get choices on where to spend your skill points, you will be able to change this fact.

Temporary Stat Changes
There are three tiers of stat changes both in the positive and negative. Each stat can only be affected once, but some moves affect things greater. For example, using Growl once, twice or thrice will only result in the opponents attack being lowered once. Using Charm will result in attack being lowered twice. Using both Charm and Growl will only result in opponents attack being lowered twice. This applies to all moves that have these sorts of effects

It is really that simple for you guys at least, I get the fun part of rolling the dice. I will explain the underlying mechanics of the system at some point, but for now, I mostly just want to see how it works live. If you really want to know, then please ask me after the first bit of combat. Hopefully I should get everything down pat by then.

Vracken, I am excited to try this out, but why are you doing things like this?

The reason I have taken so long to try to run Dungeons and Dragonites 3 has come down to the issues I saw in both of the first two iterations. The reason this is an Alpha is twofold. I want to test out the game system, and I want to see if we can make the forum setting interesting enough for anything beyond inputting commands and being told how you succeeded or failed. I am personally dubious that is going to work, but I believe it is worth trying. My goal is to isolate a few different interactions, such as character creation, progression, role playing, combat and world building to see how they stand on their own before putting them together.

Ok, cool, but I still have questions like ...?

Sweet as, ask them below, I don't want to hide much of anything behind a wall, I just don't want to waste time explaining things that don't matter yet.

What is the Premise?

All that matters right now, is you, and three others are going to wake up in a newly opened Mystery Dungeon, and your goal is to find your way out. Probably working with the other two, but that is up to you. If you wanna split the party, that is your choice, don't blame me if anything goes wrong.

Signups

Ok, this is going to be the contentious part. I am only taking signups for up to 4 players for this Alpha test. First in first served

@TheFlyingPidove
@Blakers
@Professor_jplap
@Ephemera
Cause we need it, signups will end as soon as there are four of them, or the 26th of July 2019 when I wake up NZT

Last edited:

qrorohill

formerly known as TFP
/Officially in

Do you want to be an ex-human (human transformed into a Pokemon) living in the Pokemon World?
No.

Turtwig.

What is your nature? (natures have no effect on stats, but they are important for other things)
Docile.

Accuracy.

A good mix between combat and exploration. Battles are great and all, but exploring gives us more 'space' to role play.

Yes.

Do you want a story?
Having a story would be great, but I could live without one.

I'd be alright with it if there would be a way to get them back. So if the death isn't permanent, I guess.

Yes, but I don't want the game to rely on items too much.

Last edited:

Blakers

Holder of the Holy Diamond!
In!

Do you want to be an ex-human living in the Pokemon World?
No

Froakie

Calm

Damage

I enjoyed the combat parts of the previous games but there was a lot of fun in the other parts of the game as well. So I'd like a little variety.

I would definitely welcome it.

Do you want a story?
Yes

I'm generally uneducated in D&D as a whole but for a game of only four people permanent character death could get a little dicey.

I think it would be good but I don't think it should be a huge make or break priority in the game.

Last edited:

Professor_jplap

Aspiring Trainer
I'll try it. In. Never done Dungeons and Dragons before, but I've wanted to try it out.

Do you want to be an ex-human living in the Pokemon World? No
What starter do you want to play as? Charmander
What is your nature? (natures have no effect on stats, but they are important for other things) Quirky
What is more important to you, Damage or Accuracy? Accuracy
Do you want a strict combat game? No
Do you want role playing? Yes
Do you want a story? Absolutely
What do you think of character death? What do you mean by that?
Do you want resource/inventory management? Absolutely

Vracken

Just a Ghost of the Past
I realized I worded the ex-human thing poorly, so if you guys could adjust your original answer with information regarding that ex-human means human transformed into a Pokemon. OP has been similarly updated

Ephemera

just a little longer...
I'd like to join the party!

Do you want to be an ex-human (human transformed into a Pokemon) living in the Pokemon World?
No, not really. I wouldn't mind it, but Pokémon are more interesting than humans, right?

Fennekin. (Wow, three of us are fire types, this may not be a good decision)

Impish

Damage

Combat is great, but exploring and interacting with the environment is often more engaging, in my opinion. So having both combat and interaction would be great! :D

Yes, please!

Do you want a story?
Definitely! It's the story and setting that help the players and the game master really get into the game!

I'm not averse to it, but if it is permanent, it should be really hard to kill the characters. There are only four.

It's really cool and interesting to have inventory stuff, so yes. It shouldn't distract from the main point of the game, though!

Vracken

Just a Ghost of the Past
There wont be any story for the Alpha test, this is a purely mechanical test for the time being, it will be a few short encounters. I will start sending out player information today, hopefully should have the game starting tomorrow, possibly the day after, I still have a couple of small things I need to work on.

Character Information has been sent, please let me know if you have any questions

Last edited:

Vracken

Just a Ghost of the Past
New Beginnings

How strange. You don't know where you are, nor why. In a small glen of some woods the gods only know where, you notice 3 Pokemon awakening to the same experience. You are surrounded by trees to all sides except north where a small path seems to twist further ahead. In which two Caterpie appear to be eyeing your group suspiciously, one gnawing on an Oran Berry. Your head foggy, you don't feel in danger, but something feels distinctly off. Whatever this place is, it doesn't remind you of any woodlands you may have been in before, nothing like anywhere you have been your whole life. You don't know why, but the last vestiges of your feral self urge you to escape this place.

qrorohill

formerly known as TFP
Good morning brothe--*realizes I am not at home, then notices the other Pokémon.* Hey, you guys okay? Do any of you know where we are?

Using Turtwig as my avatar so it's easier to know which Pokémon I am. Using Italic for when I'm not talking in character, and green for when I'm not talking in character or when my character is performing an action.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'll be using parentheses for when my character is thinking as well.

Last edited:

Blakers

Since I’m the only water starter here, I’ll be using this shade of blue for when I’m in character. I’ll use Italic for when I’m in character but not performing an action, and I’ll use parentheses when my character is thinking.

I don’t have any clue where we are, or who any of you guys are. Either way, I’ve got a bad feeling about this place. Do any of you know either of those Caterpie over there? Maybe they know something about this place.

qrorohill

formerly known as TFP
Yeah, this place feels way different than the forests I have been to. Even the plants look different. *notices the Caterpie*
..no, not this again. *withdraws into shell*

Blakers

Wait, what do you mean by “not this again”? Has this happened to you before or something? And what do random Caterpie have to do with it?

qrorohill

formerly known as TFP
*whispers while still in shell* My brother calls it the Caterpie incident, I just call it a nightmare. All you need to know is that I don't feel safe with Caterpie around. Are they still looking at me?

Professor_jplap

Aspiring Trainer
*whispers while still in shell* My brother calls it the Caterpie incident, I just call it a nightmare. All you need to know is that I don't feel safe with Caterpie around. Are they still looking at me?

*Scares off Caterpie with fiery breath* So, I'm sure you don't want to tell us anymore about this Caterpie incident- but that's ok. should we continue down the path, then?

Professor_jplap

Aspiring Trainer
Since I’m the only water starter here, I’ll be using this shade of blue for when I’m in character. I’ll use Italic for when I’m in character but not performing an action, and I’ll use parentheses when my character is thinking.

I don’t have any clue where we are, or who any of you guys are. Either way, I’ve got a bad feeling about this place. Do any of you know either of those Caterpie over there? Maybe they know something about this place.

(I think I'll pretty much follow this - red for when I'm speaking and parenthesis when I'm thinking. I'll use default text for when I'm speaking not in character)

Ephemera

just a little longer...
The path seems like our only option... what might be waiting ahead? I'd keep an eye out if I were you~

Since I don't want to confuse anyone by also using red, I think this is a good compromise. Italics is out of character thoughts and comments, essentially.

qrorohill

formerly known as TFP
*comes out of shell and notices the fleeing Caterpie* Ha, you better run!
Yeah I'm down to follow that path, as long as it doesn't have many more Caterpie.

Blakers

Going down the path sounds good to me, since we don’t really have any better options. We should be careful, though. There’s no telling where or what or who it could lead to.

Status
Not open for further replies.