• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded A new take on an old classic (Vespiquen/Flareon)

John InCENAroar

Praising the Vish, Praying for Sableye V
So I'll admit, I'm not good at analyzing an expanded meta, but the revel of Roxie and the complimentary Koffing inspired me to make a vespiquen list, based off the one by Connor Finton, 2nd place finalist at Anaheim Regionals last year.

Pokemon (28)
  • Combee AOR (4)
  • Vespiquen AOR 10/98 (4)
  • Eevee PLF (3)
  • Flareon PLF (3)
  • Vaporeon AOR (1)
  • Ditto PS (1)
  • Unown AOR (3)
  • Koffing COE (4)
Koffing – Psychic – HP60
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Blast Bomb
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokemon is discarded by the effect of “Roxie,” put 1 damage counter on each of your opponent’s Pokemon. (Resolve Roxie’s effect first.)

[P][C] Poison Gas: 10 damage. Your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Poisoned.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1
  • Exeggcute PLF (1)
  • Tapu Lele GX (2)
  • Dedenne GX (1)
  • Machoke GUR (1)
Trainer (28)
  • Computer Search (1)
  • Vs Seeker (4)
  • Roxie (2)
Roxie – Trainer
Supporter

Discard up to 2 Pokemon cards from your hand (excluding Pokemon-GX or EX). For each card you discarded, draw 3 cards from your deck.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).
  • Prof. Sycamore (3)
  • N (1)
  • Special Charge (2)
  • Ultra Ball (4)
  • Battle Compressor (4)
  • Rescue Stretcher (1)
  • Choice Band (2)
  • Guzma (1)
  • Float Stone (1)
  • Parallel City (1)
  • Colress (1)
Energy (4)
  • DCE (4)
So the main reason I thought about Vespiquen to fit this combo with is because of the discard/draw engine of Roxie. Though there have been cards like this in the past, most notably Ultra Recon Squad, this Roxie combo has a secondary effect, spread damage. Though Roxie itself doesn't do damage, discarding a koffing spreads ten onto all opposing pokemon, bringing Tag Teams like Pikarom or Reshizard down just enough to be reasonably KO'ed by a Revenge attack at some point.

Just running some numbers, against Reshizard a vespiquen/flareon, after 2 Koffings Roxied, and a choice band attached, would need 20 pokemon in the discard, which is fairly reasonable to have in the late game after compressors, ultra balls, and pokemon getting knocked out. This number can be achieved even earlier, though, with the tech inclusion of Vaporeon, making it both water and grass type. Similarly, with the same conditions, vespiquen/flareon need 17 pokemon in discard to OHKO Pikarom, with a tech against them being Guardians Rising Machoke to prevent the bench damage from its GX attack. As for other expanded staples like trevenant, Seismitoad, etc., I would think they play similar to any other vespiquen deck, since the core is not that much different.

Last edited:

John InCENAroar

Praising the Vish, Praying for Sableye V
I could fit those in I guess, but I don't know what I'd take out for it. I could also fit in Counter energy for the same reason.