• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Gatr-aid 2.0 (Riptide Feraligatr/ Zebstrika/ Hapu)

DKQuagmire

Who else but Quagsire?
SM75_EN_24.png

Its back again, and with some awesome new toys, since the original deck list profile I made for this card was way back in September 2018, post dragon majesty. I'll leave a link to the old 1.0 build of the deck just here to see how things have changed.
https://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/gatr-aid-riptide-feraligatr-honey-gather-ribombee.148382/

Pokemon 18
4 Totodile DRM 22
4 Feraligatr DRM 24
1 Volcanion Prism Star FLI 31
3 Zebstrika LOT 82
3 Blitzle TEU 44
2 Jirachi TEU 99
1 Keldeo GX

Supporters 16
4 Cynthia
4 Hapu* (Brand new supporter card)
3 Sightseer
2 Elms Lecture
1 Brock's Grit
2 Red's Challenge

Trainers 13
4 Acro Bike
4 Rare Candy
2 Viridian Forest
2 Escape Board
1 Energy Spinner

Energy 13
13 Water Energy

So here's a quick reminder, if you didn't click on the link at the top on how the deck is supposed to work. This deck focuses on attacking with Feraligatr from Dragon Majesty, while trying to get as many water energy as possible into the discard pile every turn, to really rack up the damage. Its downpour ability even lets it discard water energy from your hand, powering up its Riptide attack. After it uses its attack, you shuffle all the water energy in the discard pile back into the deck. Now you have to start all over to get the water energy into the discard pile so you can keep attacking every turn.

After the rotation we lose Ribombee from burning shadows. The one card that consistently got our Water energy from the deck so Gatr can use downpour again and again. We also lose our all ball search cards and Rescue stretcher, and the powerful Guzma supporter.

But it's not a complete loss. We gained a lot of cards in the past year to help the deck keep up, and one card in particular that comes out in Unified minds changes all that; and that card is Hapu.
Here's what the card reads according to the Unified Minds official set leak page on Pokebeach:
https://www.pokebeach.com/2019/07/official-unified-minds-set-list

Hapu – Trainer
Supporter
Look at the top 6 cards of your deck and put 2 of them into your hand. Discard the rest of the cards.
You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

So basically, Hapu is the same as Misty's Wrath, but for one less card. A staple card for the 2001 versions of Feraligatr who would use Misty's Wrath to fill up the discard pile with water energy from the deck so the Feraligatr can do huge damage. That's basically what we're gonna do with Hapu from now on.
87554_200w.jpg

Since the loss of Ribombee hurts this deck really badly, I tried looking into other cards that could potentially help us search, or run through the deck for water energy. Viridian forest is a nice option, but it's only once per turn and only 1 water energy. Still, you can discard 1 water from the hand to take a water from the deck which is pretty cool. Lost Thunder gave us Sightseer. A card that works very similarly to the old "Secret Mission" card which was also in the old Gatr decks (and released in the same set as misty's wrath). But Sightseer has the restriction of only letting you draw until you have 5 cards in hand. Secret mission didn't have any restrictions. If you had a 10 card hand for example and discarded 10 cards, you drew 10 cards.

The main engine for this deck comes from Zebstrika. It's ability allows me to quickly discard my entire hand to draw more cards. In the late game, if i've managed to use Riptide, basically the whole deck is all water energy, so I can happily discard my hand and draw more energy. I decided to use the 60 HP Blitle from Team Up. The reason for this is so I can search it out with Elm's Lecture.
Jirachi really helps you dig through the deck to grab those early game supporters like Elms lecture to really set up your board with Blitzle and Totodile, and Cynthia or even Hapu. Escape board has always been the obvious combo for any deck that plays Jirachi.

Some final noteworthy cards to point out. Volcanion prism star acts as your gusting card, which the opponent has control over, but can actually be used as a back up attacker. Acro bike helps us to mill through the deck. Red's Challenge, while being a slightly weaker version than Crasher Wake in this type of deck, is actually more consistent, as you can discard any 2 cards from the hand to get any card from the deck. Crasher Wake makes you discard 2 Water Energy to get any 2 cards from the deck. Crasher Wake may sound like the better card at first, but from testing this deck, you won't always have the water energy readily available to use Crasher Wake when he pops into your hand. The last card is Brock's Grit. This card is basically our replacement for Rescue Stretcher in the rotation. It was very tight for deck space, but I've managed to squeeze one in.

I hope you all enjoy this decklist and hope you guys will try it out!

Last edited:

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
Hey quag! Toad (used to be Sableye126) from the discord! I think you should play the energy fidget spinner card. Also maybe a lady or two.

Missilistico

Aspiring Trainer
Hi man, I see you quite often on TCGone.
I see a main problem for this deck: two energy attachment. If you start second, you lose. If your Feraligatr with two energies assigned is koed and you have zero energy assigned in the bench (it will happen quite often, since tag teams hit hard and fast), you lose. Can you think about a remedy for this?

PS I thought about Starmie from Team Up. Try considering it! :)

Last edited:

rewster1

Aspiring Trainer
What about lance -> dragonite? That would get your second water attachment. Or naganadel/e-switch. But I would think the main problem is feraligatr works against itself every time you shuffle all the energy back into deck where you don't want it, slowing your march to delete your deck. I would say the more zebras the better.

DKQuagmire

Who else but Quagsire?
I have decided to add a copy of Keldeo GX to the deck, to try and get around GX pokemon and Tag Team pokemon.
Since Keldeo GX is a brand new card in unified minds i'll leave this translation here for what it does.

Keldeo-GX – Water – HP170
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Holy Heart
Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokemon by the attacks of your opponent’s Pokemon-GX and Pokemon-EX.

[W][W][C] Sonic Edge: 110 damage. This attack’s damage isn’t affected by any effects on your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

[W][W][C] Resolute Blade GX: 50x damage. This attack does 50 damage for each of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

When your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

also i have dropped my jirachi and escape board count down to 2 each.

this has given me room to play a 3rd blitzle and 3rd zebstrika to increase consistency with the deck.
for the last spot i have added energy spinner to the deck, as i think that will be a cool inclusion to have.

Last edited: