Discussion Post Rotation Meta predictions

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
Hey everyone! I’ve seen the unified minds list, and it now gives us a better handle to discuss early meta for 2020! So, here is my question: what do YOU think might be a popular or good deck to play? My money is on a Malamar toolbox, especially now with the mewtwo and mew tag team, as well as the Giratina and garchomp tag team.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
IMO, ReshiZard will still be very competitive and a Tier 1 deck. Fiery Flint, Fire Crystal and Welder are awesome complimentary support, as well as Salazzle (for supplemental card-draw support) and Ninetales ("Gust of Wind"-like pulling opponent's benched Pokémon to Active position) ==> AWESOME!

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
IMO, ReshiZard will still be very competitive and a Tier 1 deck. Fiery Flint, Fire Crystal and Welder are awesome complimentary support, as well as Salazzle (for supplemental card-draw support) and Ninetales ("Gust of Wind"-like pulling opponent's benched Pokémon to Active position) ==> AWESOME!
I agree. I also have noticed some Malamar variants might be good. I’m lookig at Tinachomp and mew2 variants, hoping one of them I can play. And let’s not forget dark box!

K-Genesis

Aspiring Trainer
In no particular order, decks competing for t1 status:

Green's Reshizard
MewMew Malamar
Dark TT Box

Interesting contenders:

Pikarom
Naganadel-GX/Porygon-Z
Gardeveon
Blacephalon-GX

Budget options:

Aegislash
Chandelure/Charizard
Alolan Exeggutor

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
ReshiZard, PikaRom, Naganadel GX (the Unified Minds one), and any of the Tag Team GXs coming out in Unified Minds are meta contenders. Even if it's just for the reason of no one understanding your gameplan because the deck is new and unfamiliar, that's basically the kind of deck I tend to see win at Worlds or Nats - the deck no one expected coming.

My personal hunch is whoever predicts the best way to counter Mewtwo & Mew GX toolboxes is going to win Worlds, because that card should be getting a ton of attention and included in most lists strictly for having a 270 HP attacker that can use any other GX's attacks and searchable by Cherish Ball that GX-centric decks are already running.

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
In no particular order, decks competing for t1 status:

Green's Reshizard
MewMew Malamar
Dark TT Box

Interesting contenders:

Pikarom
Naganadel-GX/Porygon-Z
Gardeveon
Blacephalon-GX

Budget options:

Aegislash
Chandelure/Charizard
Alolan Exeggutor
Some possible things missing: Keldeo decks, malamar with tinachomp, baby blacephalon,

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
I think Keldeo is a valuable tech in water decks in the same fashion that Alolan Ninetales with Luminous Barrier was for a time, but I don't think it would ever really warrant being run as a deck of its own. Immediate issue is that Net Ball is fair game for grass decks post rotation, and that means free easy access to any all kinds of grass Pokemon, including non-GXs that could easily OHKO. With Weak Guard Energy coming out, I don't think it's impossible to see powerful grass decks roaming about (also because I think ReshiZard drops in value post rotation anyway and most people are going to move towards Psychic & Dragon based Malamar builds.) Shaymin Prism Star basically eats Keldeo alive with only 3 energy on the field.

Long term issue is that we expect Sword & Shield expansions to be coming by February, and if those introduce a new type of card that isn't GX and is meta relevant, then Keldeo becomes pretty moot.

JGB146

♫♪.ılıl|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lılı.♫♪
Lost March is actually a lot better post rotation. I don't like Altavilla's list all that much, but with some tweaks it can end up in a pretty good place.

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
Lost March is actually a lot better post rotation. I don't like Altavilla's list all that much, but with some tweaks it can end up in a pretty good place.
I saw this discussed in a separate forum, and i must disagree. This is a quote from there: you can’t recycle attackers, you lose Natu (no DCE).. you only have 4 attackers the lentire game which all have 70 HP. Spiritomb loses Nest Ball so it’s really slow and meh.

All Single Prizer decks get f-ed by Reset Stamp also.

JGB146

I saw this discussed in a separate forum, and i must disagree. This is a quote from there: you can’t recycle attackers, you lose Natu (no DCE).. you only have 4 attackers the lentire game which all have 70 HP. Spiritomb loses Nest Ball so it’s really slow and meh.

All Single Prizer decks get f-ed by Reset Stamp also.

That would be the case if you didn't change anything about the deck. That's why the deck has to change though. I'll be doing a video soon on the LV5 Channel over a couple of the options that can make it work. They even beat current format meta decks at least as often as not.

And reset stamp is rarely as bad as you think it is, based on my testing.

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
That would be the case if you didn't change anything about the deck. That's why the deck has to change though. I'll be doing a video soon on the LV5 Channel over a couple of the options that can make it work. They even beat current format meta decks at least as often as not.

And reset stamp is rarely as bad as you think it is, based on my testing.
Really? How many are played in each deck you test against?

JGB146

It has varied from zero up to 3. Lost March sets up fairly easily with P Comm, lots of pokemon, Elms, and the Emolga engine. Having your opponent essentially play a Cynthia on you early on can actually be quite helpful. And by late game, you are already set up to take OHKOs, so you don't need much and (should) have thinned your deck pretty well. In matches where it makes sense, I sacrifice my resource management Oranguru early on to enable extra uses of Lost Blender, P Comm, Net Ball, and Cynthia.