$60,000 Mewtwo Card Lost or Stolen in the Mail, $1,000 Award Offered

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
Question.

What if a card was traded and not sold? What if said stolen card from a trade deal was worth $4k at the moment and was listed up for sale? Would the victim be able to reclaim said item if the item was stolen 3 years? What information would be needed to reclaim said card?

Any info helps.
Some sort of proof of ownership, transaction records, stuff like that. The victim I assume is the seller as I would imagine the 60K was held in escrow to be released on delivery.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Something this rare and worth so much should've been exchanged in person. Because of the rare chance that a third party decided to help themselves.

I hope the card shows up soon, but this is the kind of risk you run of you decide to mail precious cargo via the USPS.

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
Which is worth more - this card or the Illustrator Pikachu card??

What a shame it got lost or stolen....

gareth

Aspiring Trainer
Shame on them.

And also, a good warning. We don't know all the circumstances and requirements of this sale. But for a physical thing this valuable on the line, imagine how you'd handle moving that same cost in cash, then do that.

Best of luck, hopefully someone comes through.

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
This is really sad that something of this value has been stolen. But I must state that in the end you spent $60,000 on a piece of 20+ year old cardboard. That is not to degrade the fact that it was stolen and that it is wrong.

Lechu v 2017

Pokemon connoisseur
What I am seeing here is a court case, a kid-napping, and a government Investigation.
Wow, Imma real nerd.

MLdarknightmare

Aspiring Trainer
If it was even stolen, how would the thief know that, that specific package/letter included this 60k card? That doesn't make sense to me, unless one of the 2 victims specifically told someone that they bought/sold this card. I'm thinking that it probably got lost somewhere along the way.

Trey Hooper

Mew_fanatic
Question.

What if a card was traded and not sold? What if said stolen card from a trade deal was worth $4k at the moment and was listed up for sale? Would the victim be able to reclaim said item if the item was stolen 3 years? What information would be needed to reclaim said card?

Any info helps.
I believe the correct term for this is theft by receiving. The current owner of the card could be charged, as well as the person who traded it with provided proof, of course.

Ian Hatcher

Aspiring Trainer
Question.

Any info helps.

Really depends on a lot of things. If the card is taken out of the PSA case the seller and buyer are pretty much SOL as since there are multiple copies of this so proving it IS actually their card is pretty tough even though it is severely limited. They would have to prove the thief worked with someone or for USPS I'd assume if that was the case.

If someone unknowingly buys stolen merchandise though they are not legally responsible and wouldn't be charged however they would lose the property and are out the $$ unless it can be obtained from the person that sold the stolen merch. So for arguments sake let's say this card pops up after being sent to PSA in a few years after being taken out of the case. I would think the seller and buyer are pretty much SOL and would need to rely on the insurance to get their $$ back.

I heard the seller only insured the card for $50k too but that was said on Derium's twitch stream so not sure if that is true or not. Pretty stupid if true.

The Almighty Bidoof

Just your everyday MtF trans Bidoof worshipper
Really depends on a lot of things. If the card is taken out of the PSA case the seller and buyer are pretty much SOL as since there are multiple copies of this so proving it IS actually their card is pretty tough even though it is severely limited. They would have to prove the thief worked with someone or for USPS I'd assume if that was the case.

If someone unknowingly buys stolen merchandise though they are not legally responsible and wouldn't be charged however they would lose the property and are out the $$ unless it can be obtained from the person that sold the stolen merch. So for arguments sake let's say this card pops up after being sent to PSA in a few years after being taken out of the case. I would think the seller and buyer are pretty much SOL and would need to rely on the insurance to get their $$ back.

I heard the seller only insured the card for $50k too but that was said on Derium's twitch stream so not sure if that is true or not. Pretty stupid if true.
No one should buy an ungraded SSB. Plus there's more than enough scans of the specific card to know if it's the lost one anyway. So if one goes up, we'll know if it's the stolen one

Ian Hatcher

Aspiring Trainer
No one should buy an ungraded SSB. Plus there's more than enough scans of the specific card to know if it's the lost one anyway. So if one goes up, we'll know if it's the stolen one

There are potentially 7 more ungraded copies out there I believe so that is not necessarily true and might be tough to prove from a scan. I'm certain if one does or is submitted to PSA/Beckett that it will be looked into for sure.

Guess we'll see. Sounds like the seller is out $10k though so it really sucks for him. I would never ship a card like this International though. Stupid.

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!

That was the maximum it could be insured for. Ultimately, insuring it is probably why got it stolen in the first place since the insured amount is on the shipping label. You have to fill it out for customs, so it's not like that was optional.

Ian Hatcher

Aspiring Trainer
That was the maximum it could be insured for. Ultimately, insuring it is probably why got it stolen in the first place since the insured amount is on the shipping label. You have to fill it out for customs, so it's not like that was optional.

Agree, as soon as someone saw that label their fingers got really sticky I am sure. UPS has a maximum of $70,000 for express services so I'm sure they are kicking themselves by not doing that instead.