$60,000 Mewtwo Card Lost or Stolen in the Mail, $1,000 Award Offered

ninetales1234

Biscuit Taste-Tester
"Double-Stuffed Felony"

What is the endgame of the thief? Did they have a feud with the seller or buyer?

dom

Aspiring Trainer
Stuff like this is why i hate people. Whilst i hope it's merely a clerical error. given human nature it's more likely been stolen.

"The person would also never be able to sell the card in public because it features a unique holo pattern and would be immediately identified."

is the unique holo pattern on the card or on the psa graded case ?

if it's just the case couldn't they just break it out ? (not overly familiar with psa and their grading systems. ) then sell it on. even if the card becomes slightly damaged in the process its still worth a fortune.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
Stuff like this is why i hate people. Whilst i hope it's merely a clerical error. given human nature it's more likely been stolen.

"The person would also never be able to sell the card in public because it features a unique holo pattern and would be immediately identified."

if it's just the case couldn't they just break it out ? (not overly familiar with psa and their grading systems. ) then sell it on. even if the card becomes slightly damaged in the process its still worth a fortune.

Undoubtfully the unique holo pattern is the card itself, not the case. There probably is a way to break it out of the case but I don't know how well that works.

Of course there is always the chance whoever took it isn't looking to sell it back but will just keep it forever.

CESit

Aspiring Trainer

There is also the problem that very few of these cards exist. There are collectors out there (like SMPratte) that basically know where all of these cards are/whose hands they are in. If you were trying to sell this card, now that its public knowledge, you'd have to sell it to some bigtime collector and all of the bigtime collectors rely on the knowledge of someone like SMPratte for items as rare as this. Sure there may be some unscrupulous collector who might buy it for a personal collection... but they would never be able to show it off as knowledgeable people would be able to tell its stolen. And collectors like to show off after all partially

dom

Aspiring Trainer
they would never be able to show it off as knowledgeable people would be able to tell its stolen. And collectors like to show off after all partially

the article states "it’s estimated Pokemon only awarded nine to 18 sets of the three cards.."

Meaning no one knows for certain how many there are. one could turn up on yahoo auctions tomorrow (japans biggest online auction platform) that no ones heard of.

So if they get it out of the psa casing keep it safe and hidden, then list it on ebay 5-10 years later. No one would bat an eyelid.

We're talking about 10s of thousands of $s. Longer they wait the more valuable & waiting years to get away with it is realistically what they'd have to do if they're ever going to pass it on...assuming it's not traced back to them before then.

Last edited:

Lord Charizard

Aspiring Trainer
While theft is certainly likely, the possibility of negligence on the part of the shipping agency is also very high, especially if mailed via the USPS, as a rule, I NEVER make any deal over $1,000 unless I can meet in person. This type of thing happens far too frequently to trust such a precious item to the mail, be it incompetence on the part of a postal worker, or the actions of a pathetic thief, it's just too valuable.

I REALLY hope you are able to recover it! And that the only regret is that if it is a thief and he caught, that he be merely locked up rather than something more...fitting.

Sh1nyPants

Aspiring Trainer
Why was this card not shipped with the method that keeps it under lock and key all the way until the recipient signs for the package themselves?

Not saying it going missing is ok by any means, but to me it just seems negligent to send $60,000 through the mail without it being secured.

The-Kaiser

Starfleet Captain and Pokemon Trainer
Hopefully it wasn't destroyed in a glitched or broken Mail sorting machine

John Wick

Aspiring Trainer
Question.

What if a card was traded and not sold? What if said stolen card from a trade deal was worth $4k at the moment and was listed up for sale? Would the victim be able to reclaim said item if the item was stolen 3 years? What information would be needed to reclaim said card?

Any info helps.

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
Here's a lesson for all of you: if you've got 60 grand lying around to buy something over the Internet, go pick it up yourself.

Last edited:

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
the article states "it’s estimated Pokemon only awarded nine to 18 sets of the three cards.."

Meaning no one knows for certain how many there are. one could turn up on yahoo auctions tomorrow (japans biggest online auction platform) that no ones heard of.

So if they get it out of the psa casing keep it safe and hidden, then list it on ebay 5-10 years later. No one would bat an eyelid.

We're talking about 10s of thousands of $s. Longer they wait the more valuable & waiting years to get away with it is realistically what they'd have to do if they're ever going to pass it on...assuming it's not traced back to them before then.

The article also states that it has a unique holographic foil pattern that specifically identifies this card.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Question.

What if a card was traded and not sold? What if said stolen card from a trade deal was worth $4k at the moment and was listed up for sale? Would the victim be able to reclaim said item if the item was stolen 3 years? What information would be needed to reclaim said card?

Any info helps.
The point is that it would be stolen property no matter how it changed hands, and so would ultimately still be the property of the rightful owner - and thus anyone who traded for it or bought it would be out of luck once it was discovered.

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
$60K ?? I'll fly that card to you myself delivered on a satin pillow! Totally worth it.

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
Question.

Any info helps.
The card is still affected by special conditions: THEFT!

Orias

Still waiting for a shiny gastly card.
Question.

Any info helps.
I don't get it