Lusamine and Delinquent Banned from Expanded!

Otaku

The wise fool?
Yeah... true. But I've never played Standard, as I don't like to be restricted too much in using the cards I like. Oh, the irony here....

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Expanded lets you use anything from Black & White or later but not only is the metagame composed only maybe 20% of all the cards from the allowed sets, but it has a Ban List. Standard only allows the most recent expansions, but not only is there no Ban List, many cards that aren't worth using in Expanded have a purpose here.

If we take your logic and run with it to its logical conclusion, shouldn't you be an Unlimited Format player? ;)

DiaborMagics

Experienced Fox Trainer
Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Expanded lets you use anything from Black & White or later but not only is the metagame composed only maybe 20% of all the cards from the allowed sets, but it has a Ban List. Standard only allows the most recent expansions, but not only is there no Ban List, many cards that aren't worth using in Expanded have a purpose here.

If we take your logic and run with it to its logical conclusion, shouldn't you be an Unlimited Format player? ;)
Haha, true! Correct me if I'm wrong though, but the PTCGO does not support Unlimited for the versus ladder, right? Thing is the only place where I can play with physical cards nearby does Pokémon games when I'm at work and thus the only place where I can really play is online. Physical it's more a collection (though I'm trying to get more friends to be into it, but that's a bit hard XD)
I guess I really should try to build a standard deck at some point. I have been planning that for a long time, but yeah, there are many cards I like that I can't use... though IIRC reprinted cards can often be used, right? For example, I know Guardians Rising is rotating out, but Tapu Lele GX got a reprint for a special box. So, she can still be used, right? see, I normally don't have to think that much about it XD

Otaku

The wise fool?
Haha, true! Correct me if I'm wrong though, but the PTCGO does not support Unlimited for the versus ladder, right?

Correct, the PTCGO does not have a Reward Ladder for a Format where basically, the coin toss to decide who goes first also decides who wins. ;) Heh, and the PTCGO Unlimited Format may be better balanced than the real Unlimited Format, owing to the former lacking anything older than HearGold SoulSilver. @_@ I believe the Legacy Format, while no longer supported for On Demand Events (tournaments), is still an option for the Reward Ladder.

Thing is the only place where I can play with physical cards nearby does Pokémon games when I'm at work and thus the only place where I can really play is online. Physical it's more a collection (though I'm trying to get more friends to be into it, but that's a bit hard XD)

Understood; though I began playing back in 1999, I've been PTCGO-only since... 2014, I think.

I guess I really should try to build a standard deck at some point. I have been planning that for a long time, but yeah, there are many cards I like that I can't use... though IIRC reprinted cards can often be used, right? For example, I know Guardians Rising is rotating out, but Tapu Lele GX got a reprint for a special box. So, she can still be used, right? see, I normally don't have to think that much about it XD

The "previous printings" rule is that, if an older release of a card is not significantly different from the most recent release, you may use the older release in any formats containing the more recent release. "Significant" means anything that affects actual gameplay, barring
  • Things covered by general rulings or rule changes
  • Cards covered by errata
I believe the former means that you can still Switch from "Base Set" in Expanded or Standard (at least, with the physical cards). The original version of Switch released as a "normal Trainer", and general rule updates means we know to treat all such cards as "Items". Similarly, you can use even a copy of Potion from Base Set because an erratum was issued, overwriting the original effect with the modern one. If there hasn't been an erratum but the newer version is significantly different, you can't use older copies of the card. For example, Dunsparce (EX - Sandstorm 60/100) is mostly the same as Dunsparce (SM - Celestial Storm 110/168), but there are tiny (but gameplay significant) differences in both attacks that keep the new version from counting as a true reprint of the older one, so the older one is not legal for Standard or Expanded Format play.

It isn't just about having a "recent" reprint, however; the most recent printing still needs to be legal in that Format. Here is a copy/paste of the official announcement of the 2020 Standard and Expanded Formats... which go into effect as off August 15.

April 18, 2019
2020 Season Pokémon TCG Format Rotation
Find out which cards will be permitted in the 2020 Pokémon TCG Championship Series season.

At the beginning of every Championship Series season, Pokémon Organized Play removes older expansions from competition in the Standard format, with the goal of maintaining a healthy competitive environment. This rotation challenges existing players to create new strategies and enables new players to get involved in Play! Pokémon events using the most recent releases.

The 2020 season starts July 1, 2019, so players can get an early start on working toward the 2020 Pokémon World Championships. However, the rotation will not occur until August 15, 2019. Importantly, this means that the 2019 Pokémon World Championships, which take place August 16–18, will be the first major event to use the 2020 format and rules as currently listed. For other competitions taking place this summer, be sure to check the event's rules and regulations before attending.

The Standard format for the 2020 season will consist of the following expansions:

Sun & Moon—Ultra Prism and any expansions released afterward

Black Star Promo cards numbered SM94 and up

Cards from the following products are also legal:

Dragon Majesty

Pokémon TCG: Detective Pikachu

Starting with the 2020 season, cards from McDonald's Collections will be legal in the Standard format if they're functionally identical to a card that is currently legal in the Standard format. For example, Magnemite (McDonald's Collection 2018, 8/12) is functionally the same card as Magnemite from Sun & Moon—Ultra Prism, so it can still be used in the Standard format.

New expansions become legal for tournament play on the third Friday of the month they are released.

The Expanded Format for 2020

The Expanded format will remain unchanged for the 2020 season. Players should double-check what format is being used before choosing a deck to bring to their local events.

The Expanded format for the 2020 season will consist of the following expansions:

Black & White and any expansions released afterward

Black Star Promo cards numbered BW01 and up, XY01 and up, and SM01 and up

Cards from the following products are also legal:

Generations

Double Crisis

Dragon Vault

Shining Legends

Dragon Majesty

Pokémon TCG: Detective Pikachu

Black & White Trainer Kit and any Trainer Kits released afterward

McDonald's Collection 2011 and later

New expansions become legal for tournament play on the third Friday of the month they are released.

Please note that several cards are currently banned from the Expanded format. You can find the list of banned cards here.

Tapu Lele-GX has currently released as SM - Guardians Rising 60/145, 60a/145, 137/145, 155/145. Four releases, all treated as being from the same set. The "promo" version is actually what is referred to as an Alternate Art, and exists specifically so they can re-release stuff without extending its time being Standard-legal. Which sounds bad, but it means important Expanded Format cards can "safely" be re-released, and if the powers-that-be cared to, even Unlimited Format cards. The only confusion is fans have been using Alternate Art to refer to cards with... uh... different (alternate) art for years, but now it refers to stuff that has that the same Set/Card Number as the previous release, but with a little letter after the first number. Looks like most sources are referring to them as Yellow A Alternate Art cards, but I can't find the original announcement, which I thought said they had the option of using other letters if something needed such a reprint more than once.

I know this sounds complicated, but it mostly becomes straightforward after a bit. ^^'

DiaborMagics

Experienced Fox Trainer
Correct, the PTCGO does not have a Reward Ladder for a Format where basically, the coin toss to decide who goes first also decides who wins. ;) Heh, and the PTCGO Unlimited Format may be better balanced than the real Unlimited Format, owing to the former lacking anything older than HearGold SoulSilver. @_@ I believe the Legacy Format, while no longer supported for On Demand Events (tournaments), is still an option for the Reward Ladder.

Understood; though I began playing back in 1999, I've been PTCGO-only since... 2014, I think.

The "previous printings" rule is that, if an older release of a card is not significantly different from the most recent release, you may use the older release in any formats containing the more recent release. "Significant" means anything that affects actual gameplay, barring
  • Things covered by general rulings or rule changes
  • Cards covered by errata
I believe the former means that you can still Switch from "Base Set" in Expanded or Standard (at least, with the physical cards). The original version of Switch released as a "normal Trainer", and general rule updates means we know to treat all such cards as "Items". Similarly, you can use even a copy of Potion from Base Set because an erratum was issued, overwriting the original effect with the modern one. If there hasn't been an erratum but the newer version is significantly different, you can't use older copies of the card. For example, Dunsparce (EX - Sandstorm 60/100) is mostly the same as Dunsparce (SM - Celestial Storm 110/168), but there are tiny (but gameplay significant) differences in both attacks that keep the new version from counting as a true reprint of the older one, so the older one is not legal for Standard or Expanded Format play.

It isn't just about having a "recent" reprint, however; the most recent printing still needs to be legal in that Format. Here is a copy/paste of the official announcement of the 2020 Standard and Expanded Formats... which go into effect as off August 15.

Tapu Lele-GX has currently released as SM - Guardians Rising 60/145, 60a/145, 137/145, 155/145. Four releases, all treated as being from the same set. The "promo" version is actually what is referred to as an Alternate Art, and exists specifically so they can re-release stuff without extending its time being Standard-legal. Which sounds bad, but it means important Expanded Format cards can "safely" be re-released, and if the powers-that-be cared to, even Unlimited Format cards. The only confusion is fans have been using Alternate Art to refer to cards with... uh... different (alternate) art for years, but now it refers to stuff that has that the same Set/Card Number as the previous release, but with a little letter after the first number. Looks like most sources are referring to them as Yellow A Alternate Art cards, but I can't find the original announcement, which I thought said they had the option of using other letters if something needed such a reprint more than once.

I know this sounds complicated, but it mostly becomes straightforward after a bit. ^^'
Wow, thank you so much for your detailed response! It indeed sounds complicated, but don't most things you know little about? I'm sure you're right and once I get into Standard it'll be easy to understand in no time.
You started playing in 1999, that's awesome. I remember I got a few cards and a deck and I did not know how to play the game. Everyone just collected it at my school and we all thought energy was useless so we traded it away or scribbled on it, or whatever have you XD (though now I have so much energy I hardly know what to do with it either...).

Speaking of Base Set, one thing that stings is that I found back all of my Pokémon and trainer cards (albeit in bad shape), EXCEPT for my Blastoise and Poliwrath and movie promo Mewtwo. I did find my other Mewtwo. But that Blastoise was my favorite as a kid. I wonder what happened to it... :(
(all 3 of these non-promo cards were from Base Set, so you probably know which ones I mean).

Otaku

The wise fool?
Wow, thank you so much for your detailed response! It indeed sounds complicated, but don't most things you know little about? I'm sure you're right and once I get into Standard it'll be easy to understand in no time.
You started playing in 1999, that's awesome. I remember I got a few cards and a deck and I did not know how to play the game. Everyone just collected it at my school and we all thought energy was useless so we traded it away or scribbled on it, or whatever have you XD (though now I have so much energy I hardly know what to do with it either...).

Speaking of Base Set, one thing that stings is that I found back all of my Pokémon and trainer cards (albeit in bad shape), EXCEPT for my Blastoise and Poliwrath and movie promo Mewtwo. I did find my other Mewtwo. But that Blastoise was my favorite as a kid. I wonder what happened to it... :(
(all 3 of these non-promo cards were from Base Set, so you probably know which ones I mean).

Yeah, I was in high school back then, and not only was collecting a big deal, but the "cool" nerd clique actually let the "uncool" nerd clique hang out with them because of the Pokémon TCG.

I was part of the latter. XP

As for the cards you're remembering, including their reprints, it sounds like Blastoise (Base Set 2/102; Base Set 2 2/130), Poliwrath (Base Set 13/102; Base Set 2 15/130), Mewtwo (Base Set 10/102; Base Set 2 10/130), and Mewtwo (Black Star Promos 3; 14). Blastoise was a great card back in the day, as was the promo Mewtwo. There was a troll deck (before that was a term) built around the other Mewtwo you mentioned.

DiaborMagics

Experienced Fox Trainer
Ah yeah, that explains it. I wasn't even in highschool yet. All the young kids like me didn't know how to play the actual game :D Sometimes we did play though, but we made up our own rules.

And yeah those are the cards I meant. You know your stuff. Well, considering for how long you've been doing this, you're basically my senpai ^.^ (okay I'll stop there XD)