General Neko's Moth-Watching Thread

Got a Nessus Sphinx today! I think I had one of these last year too but wasn't able to get any pics. This time I at least managed a couple, but I wish they were clearer... It took-off just as soon as I had focused in for the perfect shot. Dx

FxAdzKw.jpg

It almost looks like a wasp crossed with a hummingbird when visiting flowers for nectar.

Last edited:
New moths two days in a row, and it isn't even summer! :0

Eight-Spotted Forester. Check out those fuzzy orange legs!

SlGVkOb.jpg

Last edited:
I found this strange little guy last June, but I never posted it since the front half of the caterpillar was out-of-focus. Luckily, by scaling it down and sharpening the front half, I was able to make it somewhat presentable. I think it's a Horned Spanworm. The horns aren't toxic, but they can stretch 2x in length if the caterpillar is startled!

9jWmkok.jpg

I've yet to get an adult, but they're pretty neat too (especially the darker-shaded ones).

I also found these when I was going through some older photos. I was under the impression that they were two different species, but it turns out that they were both different stages of the Yellow-Striped Armyworm! The adult is #94 on my list.

8xoYfMS.jpg

Bonus: MOTH FACE!
akNLI6P.jpg

Last edited:
Some more newbies!

Sigela brauneata

A1ZeyA1.jpg

White Spring Moth

Sumvb1L.jpg

American Lappet Moth

xYfhU1R.jpg
kAkYLUi.jpg

And here's why the Rosy Maple Moth evolved so beautifully. Under certain conditions, maple seeds (samaras, helicopters, or whirlybirds) turn pink!

56ytn7E.jpg

Last edited:
Kicking off May with my first Luna Moth of 2019 and a pinkish-hued Walnut Sphinx!

jW39z3E.jpg

GFXHkGT.jpg

A few more things from over the past week:

Fervid Plagodis
cyxU9nL.jpg

Splendid Palpita
S2fL5Dn.jpg

Half-Wing Moth Caterpillar
93bhoF6.jpg
Qog3c74.jpg

It started gnawing my finger and I think it actually managed to get a tiny piece of skin! :eek:

Eastern Tent Caterpillar
i0uMCQp.jpg

EDIT: Got an Unspotted Looper (aka Copper Looper) tonight!

m364jtW.jpg

Last edited:
That Luna Moth looks S T U N N I N G with those green and purple hues! Was he a difficult one to find with such good camofluage?

That Luna Moth looks S T U N N I N G with those green and purple hues! Was he a difficult one to find with such good camofluage?
She (male Lunas have bushier antennae) was on the side of the house, so she was pretty easy to spot once I turned her direction.

I think it was last year or year before last that I barely caught a glimpse of Lunas in a tree thanks to their tails. I think I deleted the pic because it was blurrier than I'd like (photos over 5x zoom don't tend to take well without a tripod), but their green was a perfect match on the leaves! (I've got a tripod, but I never take it with me on my walks.)

Maple Looper
JzA4MRO.jpg

White-Blotched Heterocampa
AWKpMd3.jpg

Eyed Baileya
nPoPIUr.jpg

Green Leuconycta (aka Green Owlet)
hn8Efl3.jpg

Forest Tent Caterpillar
oYJ0PHA.jpg

American Copper Underwing Caterpillar
eyDohPb.jpg

I've updated my Facebook album in the first post to include moth caterpillars in addition to adult moths.

Last edited:
First bagworm of the year (another Mini Bagworm) and got a double high five from an Eight-Spotted Forester!

Baepgyd.jpg
gxYs6LP.gif

2DLpWQH.jpg

And here's something new: a Marbled-Green Leuconycta. Unfortunately, landing close to the light skewed the colors a bit. (I tried to fix it via White Balance and Color Correction, but it still seemed more striking in-person.)

WLmUKMy.jpg

Last edited:
Moth activity is picking back up!

JaIzrFJ.jpg

Doubleday's Notocelia Moth
gS0kmlQ.jpg

Yellow-Spotted Webworm Moth
vpqntpG.jpg

Decorated Owlet
Ra8zlJC.jpg

Jeweled Tailed Slug Moth
u42jtQB.jpg

Double-Toothed Prominent aka Base-Streaked Prominent
igQq9G5.jpg

Coleophora sp, a casebearer moth
cAiFk3s.jpg

Unadorned Carpet Moth
9K6rQjh.jpg

Adoxophyes furcatana
cbfJun4.jpg

Stained Lophosis (female)
pnyum3j.jpg

Male is #15 on the first post

Dimorphic Macalla Moth
r0mfH3O.jpg

Yellow-Shouldered Slug Moth
LNBov21.jpg

I think this is a dark example of a Tufted Thyatirine
zLR9qpr.jpg

Yellow-Collared Slug Moth
Vd3vNpU.jpg

Horned Spanworm Moth (male)
xZ2eRsE.jpg

Caterpillar in post #125

Packard's Wave
9bEVFv7.jpg

Eastern Tent Caterpillar Moth
R37DLKs.jpg

Caterpillar in post #127

Last edited:
When I posted my previous Virginia Creeper Sphinx, I mentioned that I wanted to find a green one.

Well, it happened.

0zblQSx.jpg

Not the boldest green they can be, but I'll happily take it!

Genista Broom Moth
fNRlMhi.jpg

I unfortunately didn't capture them here, but this species has yellow hindwings.

Gray-Patched Prominent
1FLe881.jpg

Dark Marathyssa Moth
zNrA2mA.jpg
fMOeXYf.jpg

Shagreened Slug Moth
sdgnrHK.jpg

Hollow-Spotted Blepharomastix Moth
2r4TRty.jpg

Diminutive Wave Moth
vly2dKo.jpg

Common Spring Moth
EPLQhZe.jpg

Yellow-Fringed Dolichomia Moth
Z66D22H.jpg

Cream-Edged Dichomeris Moth
e1SFv66.jpg

I also got another Dot-Lined White "poodle moth." I found a freshly-eclosed one last year, but this is the first time I've found one at my porchlight. Nice to see those antennae and spread wings!

waqLAYQ.jpg

aKBnIkx.jpg

EDIT: And my first male Io Moth!

4Nxu9kM.jpg

Last edited:
I found this guy a little over a week ago: a Grape Plume Moth. Probably my favorite plume moth so far! I normally just get the solid white or brown ones.

3JReOJC.jpg

More stuff:

Milkweed Tussock/Tiger Moth
Wxvb71T.jpg

Drab with closed wings, but it has a bright orange, spotted abdomen like most tiger moths. Its caterpillar is much more interesting.

Bristly Cutwom Moth
ZLikAot.jpg

Common yellow form of the Basswood Leaffolder Moth (the one I'd previously posted was white)
JlVwoIt.jpg

Granite Angle Moth, or just Granite Moth
XcQhawj.jpg

Waterlily Leafcutter Moth
BdhppFh.jpg

Large Maple Spanworm Moth (lightly-marked)
RVzbgsh.jpg

A more detailed example of the highly variable One-Spotted Variant
aPpf4Wv.jpg

Supposedly the "greener form" of the Colorful Zale (same moth, different lighting angles)
ljId5WJ.jpg

Sorghum Webworm Moth
7Vk8c9j.jpg

The "horns" on its wings are actually tufts of scales.

American Idia
B4XAvof.jpg

Small Mossy Glyph
HphrUgR.jpg

Eight-Spotted Forester caterpillar
zBEoAra.jpg

Adult is #163 on the first page.

EDIT: Over 200 species!

Last edited:
This past week wasn't too shabby! I got three of my favorites: the Rosy Maple Moth, Giant Leopard Moth, and Smaller Parasa—my first time getting any of them this year. I also got some newbies, but I'll wait to post those another time.

cHwjiyC.jpg
3GD0ape.jpg

nvlLNtb.jpg

And so begins National Moth Week 2019! Hopefully I'll have better luck this year than last year.

Here are some of those newbies I mentioned in my last post and a few I've gotten since:

Small Necklace Moth
LklkOQb.jpg

It gets its name from the series of white dots that resemble a pearl necklace. Its wings have an iridescence.

Elder Shoot Borer
o0hSFgH.jpg

Pink-Masked Pyralid Moth
ceSiHdZ.jpg

This moth has a very subtle pinkish sheen.

Cross-Lined Wave
Vo0V3d6.jpg

Hubner's Pero Moth
GoGOzMZ.jpg

They come in various shades of brown. The purple highlights are more noticeable on darker individuals.

Stinging Rose Caterpillar Moth
RTgdD1y.jpg

A close relative and near lookalike of the Smaller Parasa Moth. Their caterpillars, however, look vastly different!

Snowberry Clearwing
MIx36ai.jpg

Also known as the Bumblebee Moth. One of the "hummingbird moths."

Early instar caterpillar
6tDxMYs.jpg

Yellow-Vested Moth
5eDKUeO.jpg

Scallop Moth
fcVRjA6.jpg

Oval-Based Prominent
liC6znR.jpg

Large Mossy Glyph
rIDiaNG.jpg

And here I go again trying to turn Pokémon into moths: Theory: Dunsparce is a MOTH!?

Last edited:
Not a huge turnout this National Moth Week, but I did get a few newbies!

The Saddleback Caterpillar Moth isn't as well-known as its infamous caterpillar.
tFrmp4j.jpg

Early instar Virginia Creeper Sphinx caterpillar. Its horn is huge compared to its body, but it'll grow into it. (Hornworms don't sting, btw).
cUTK3aP.jpg

Adult at the top of post #135

The Pearly Wood-Nymph resembles the related Beautiful Wood-Nymph, but has a scalloped design.
e0f1n8G.jpg

A female Oak Besma Moth. Males are more heavily-marked.
i04WRoV.jpg

And, while not newbies, I got a pic of a Large Lace-Border in its natural environment and a clearer pic of a Skiff Moth.

RgVOfbz.jpg

SaLHsjt.jpg

Last edited:
Far out! How long is that horn on the Virginia Creeper Sphinx caterpillar? It's massive!

Far out! How long is that horn on the Virginia Creeper Sphinx caterpillar? It's massive!
I didn't measure it, but I'd guess just under 1cm based on full-size hornworms. The horn on this one only looks massive since the caterpillar is so young. The caterpillar will grow, but the horn will remain about the same length.

Last edited:
Just some small guys:

Olive-Shaded Bird-Dropping Moth
i4ul4wd.jpg

Pale Gray Bird-Dropping Moth or Schlaeger's Fruitworm Moth (impossible to distinguish by photos)
MlhpKYL.jpg

Labyrinth Moth
IXJJN0R.jpg

Yellow-Winged Oak Leafroller Moth
OcnC0qq.jpg

Last edited:
Back