Watch Live: New 'Pokemon Sword & Shield' Info During E3's Nintendo Direct!

professor layton

Aspiring Trainer
Post a video if you’re allowed to. I’d love to hear your thoughts on the performance and quality of the game as a whole

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer
Well, just watched the Nintendo Direct and Treehouse showcase of Pokemon and nothing much was revealed except:

• Nessa, the water-type Gym Leader, with Drednaw being her main Pokemon.
  • The weather in the Wild Area is different depending on each area and changes each day.
  • The boss Pokemon in Max Raid Battles can use 2 moves per turn and once it loses about 50% health it puts up a barrier that takes 5 hits to break before it'll take damage. Your Dynamax Pokemon's attacks counts as two hits against this barrier.
  • You will lose a Max Raid Battle if you take more than 10 turns to defeat the Pokemon.
  • Some Dynamaxed Moves such as Rock and Fire Type moves have the additionally affect of changing the weather once they inflict damage.
  • Grookey can use a new move called "Branch Poke"
  • New Items "Pungent Root" and "Pack of Potatoes" were revealed.

And finally the most important thing; With Pokemon Home, you will be unable to transfer any Pokemon to Pokemon Sword and Shield that does not exist in the Galar Region Pokedex. This unofficially confirms that there is no National Pokedex in Pokemon SwSh and that for the first time (in my memory at least) that some Pokemon will be completely unobtainable, even through transfer. So essentially, you can store your previously collected Pokemon on Pokemon Home but unless they exist in the regional Pokedex of a Pokemon game on the Nintendo Switch, they cannot leave Pokemon Home (So this means that you might want to put off transferring Pokemon from PokeBank to Pokemon Home until you know the Galar Regional Pokedex, as the transfer from PokeBank to Pokemon Home is one-way and could result in you not being able to use that Pokemon in any currently existing Pokemon games at all).

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer
Posted it on the Direct/Treehouse article but here is my comment again, since this article will certainly get more traffic and comments:

And finally the most important thing revealed; With Pokemon Home, you will be unable to transfer any Pokemon to Pokemon Sword and Shield that does not exist in the Galar Region Pokedex. This unofficially confirms that there is no National Pokedex in Pokemon SwSh and that for the first time (in my memory at least) that some Pokemon will be completely unobtainable, even through transfer. So essentially, you can store your previously collected Pokemon on Pokemon Home but unless they exist in the regional Pokedex of a Pokemon game on the Nintendo Switch, they cannot leave Pokemon Home (So this means that you might want to put off transferring Pokemon from PokeBank to Pokemon Home until you know the Galar Regional Pokedex, as the transfer from PokeBank to Pokemon Home is one-way and could result in you not being able to use that Pokemon in any currently existing Pokemon games at all).

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
Ugh, that last bit about non-Galar Dex Pokemon being barred from Sword and Shield (and said issue affecting future games) is just disgusting to even read. Whatever happened to that promise Game Freak made when they announced Pokemon Bank?

I can only hope it’s just enforcing the usual yearly VGC restrictions and NOT an indication of some Pokemon being left behind in Bank to rot like festering garbage.

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
Pokemon is supposed to be for kids. I think this may be getting a little riscay.

Green778

It's always darkest before the dawn...
A NEW Pokemon was also revealed in the treehouse
D8zRafxWsAEC1yD.jpg:large

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer
Ugh, that last bit about non-Galar Dex Pokemon being barred from Sword and Shield (and said issue affecting future games) is just disgusting to even read. Whatever happened to that promise Game Freak made when they announced Pokemon Bank?

I can only hope it’s just enforcing the usual yearly VGC restrictions and NOT an indication of some Pokemon being left behind in Bank to rot like festering garbage.

I imagine that available Pokemon will be rotated every new generation so that you will eventually be able to use other Pokemon on later Switch games, if not in Pokemon SwSh. What this means is that it enforces a permanent casual and competitive meta change in Switch Pokemon games, which could bring much more life and change to the competitive meta.

But it also sadly means that the National Pokedex is likely dead from Generation 7 onwards because of this. It also means that Gen 4 and Gen 5 remakes are even more unlikely, if not impossible, unless all Gen 4 or Gen 5 Pokemon are in the main games for that generation otherwise it'll prevent interactability between the remakes and the main games of the generation.

Overall, as what was said in the Treehouse showcase, there are now over 800 Pokemon (possibly over 900, depending on how many are introduced in this generation), all with unique animations, movesets, etc. and the amount of data used by having all these Pokemon could very well limit the potential of new Pokemon games due to the sheer number of them now. So unless Gamefreak wanted their future Pokemon games to possibly be hindered by having to make data for all these Pokemon, this was, sadly, the logical conclusion.

Possibly in the future, we'll see Pokemon games that allow us to use all existing Pokemon but we probably won't see that until Nintendo's next console after the Switch, and even then, since the existence of so many Pokemon can hinder a Pokemon game's potential, Gen 7 may be the last generation where you can have every Pokemon in a single game.

But once again, if you don't get to use some of your old favourites in Pokemon SwSh, you'll very likely be able to use them in later Pokemon games.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Note it wasn't just data - it's also the 3d modelling, which is the first thing they mentioned in the Treehouse showcase. They have to do a ton of work to get each Pokémon into the game, and my guess is they didn't have time to put all of them into Sword and Shield. My hope is that over time they'll add more, maybe in "Ultra Sword and Ultra Shield" they'll get them in.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Not being able to transfer non-galar dex pokemon onto sword and shield?

Are you kidding me??? Unless they plan on sticking every pokemon in Galar this is a huge issue. Pokemon has been fantastic with comparability and now they're doing this? Even if Sword and Shield are somehow the best games in the series... Let me just go back to gens 4-6. I'm going to hold out on the hopes that maybe I'll be able to one day have all my Pokemon in new games, but for what we know now? This is stupid.

I just hope they come out with some new info on this, asap.

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
Maybe this is what made the leaker so angry and upset?

Extremely saddened and disappointed that there may never be a game wherein we can complete the National Dex released ever again.

That being said, I haven't entirely lost hope. With 2 or 3 games per Generation, in theory couldn't they spend time programming in ~500 per game...? With the help of a regular drip of Mystery Gift "DLC" Pokemon? Please :(

I mean, there better be a huge number of Pokemon in every regional dex moving forward, because we don't want the future regional dex formula to be "New Pokemon + as many Gen 1 'mons as possible + flavor Pokemon". So far SwSh has shown a ton of Gen 3+ Pokemon, which is a great sign, but just thinking ahead.

Let's hope that Pokemon who will be excluded from the Gen 8 games will get some extra love from the TCG and spin-off games. Who would have imagined that one day Pokemon GO of all places might be the only "game" that will contain every released Pokemon in some semi-meaningful way.

All in all, entire generations without all Pokemon included sounds incredibly depressing.

Now I'm just waiting for the (edit: official and explicit) announcement where they tell us that Mega Stones and Z-Crystals won't be in the game either, even though now the internet has my hopes way way way down in the gutter...

Last edited:

SmiteKnight

Destroying half the universe one snap at a time
This does suck that only certain pokemon can be transferred, but dont forget they can always patch the game, especially now that it is on a more stable console than the 3ds

Wechselbalg

brb
I'm more bothered by the fact that they are ready to dump both mega evolutions and Z-moves from gen 8 onwards...that's just not cool, Gamefreak. Dynamax has a lot to live up to now. (I still hate the visual representation of it though.)