Discussion Zapdos Ultrabeasts strategy against Weezing?

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Does Zapdos Ultrabeasts have a meaningful strategy to defeat Weezing, or is that matchup just an autoloss? That's the one matchup I haven't been able to figure out yet. Too hard to avoid benching very many, and hitting 120 is pretty hard. I do play Kartana so I get the Buzzwole turn and the Kartana turn at least to hit 120 twice; always seems like there's more Weezings waiting in the wings.

I don't really see a good tech for the matchup, either; stealthy hood will protect a Pokémon or two perhaps, but it's pretty easy to get 10 damage on the pokémon and then the 20 just compounds. Not sure it's possible to include several Enhanced Hammers, unless the meta swings far in Weezing's direction.

NaganadelIsBeast

Pun Intended
Does Zapdos Ultrabeasts have a meaningful strategy to defeat Weezing, or is that matchup just an autoloss? That's the one matchup I haven't been able to figure out yet. Too hard to avoid benching very many, and hitting 120 is pretty hard. I do play Kartana so I get the Buzzwole turn and the Kartana turn at least to hit 120 twice; always seems like there's more Weezings waiting in the wings.

I don't really see a good tech for the matchup, either; stealthy hood will protect a Pokémon or two perhaps, but it's pretty easy to get 10 damage on the pokémon and then the 20 just compounds. Not sure it's possible to include several Enhanced Hammers, unless the meta swings far in Weezing's direction.

Yeah, I was thinking about this too. I think the best way to counter is ways to recycle Electropower (Electrocharger), or rely on UBs.

jamashawalker

Ikouze!
Hilariously I've been seeing random Drifblim UPR tech into a bunch of decks to counter Weezing spread HARD. It's a bit of a stretch being a stage 1 attacking for a DCE but it works if you really hate weezing lol

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Hilariously I've been seeing random Drifblim UPR tech into a bunch of decks to counter Weezing spread HARD. It's a bit of a stretch being a stage 1 attacking for a DCE but it works if you really hate weezing lol

Huh, that's interesting. If you're playing the Blitzle line then you could put this in with a ditto <> and then have an easier time getting to Zebstrika in other cases.

jamashawalker

Ikouze!
Huh, that's interesting. If you're playing the Blitzle line then you could put this in with a ditto <> and then have an easier time getting to Zebstrika in other cases.
Yeah that's a possible route. It'll be tough to find the space but at least it won't be a complete waste of space if you're playing Zebstrika as well. Weezing is popping up everywhere online and proving that it's worth the tech spot

JumpluffTCG

Aspiring Trainer
The problem with Ditto Prism is that it dies before it gets a chance to evolve if they have a Weezing in play. You bench it, it then takes 10 from Detention Gas, another 20 from Weezing's attack, and another round of Detention Gas KOs Ditto. You'd have to Guzma a non-Weezing target and not KO it, just to bench Ditto. Not saying it can't work but that's an extra hurdle to jump if you're thinking of tech'ing Drifblim.

But yeah, if you bench more than 1 Pokemon in this matchup you're kinda dead I think. You literally have to have a board of Zapdos + single retreat mon with an Escape Board and try to play with that for a bit. If you're somehow able to get a lone Koko GX swinging for 130 every turn then that's also really good since you'll probably be able to net 3 or more prizes with it. And I suppose your final ace in the hole is a BuzzMosa Beast Game GX to get 2 prizes off a Marshadow or something.

I don't play either deck super often, but the one time I did play the ZapBeasts vs Weezing matchup, I actually won with a lot of luck, by limiting my bench to 1, and getting the final 2 prizes with BuzzMosa as I inevitably still fell behind on prizes.

[edit] First game I played on the ladder tonight was this very matchup. Yeah the matchup's horrible. Just hope you draw into a bunch of Electropowers I guess lol

Last edited:

rewster1

Aspiring Trainer
I have never played zap beasts, so take with a grain of salt, but what about a lucario/melmetal tech? I get that it would suck to lead it, especially against a fire deck, but on the other hand buzzmosa is already in there. With 20 psychic resistance plus the GX attack, you block the attack damage completely. A stealthy hood or metal goggles would make it completely invulnerable except spell tags and they only have 4.

Or if that's too much of a liability, how about an exoskeleton registeel instead? Blocks 40 psychic already and you can one shot weezings if you get 3 energy on (1 rainbow).

Missilistico

Aspiring Trainer
What about Tapu Koko Gx and the new Zeraora? Tapu Koko just hits for 130. Zeraora discards special energies!

rewster1

Aspiring Trainer
I'm pretty sure Koko melts in two turns with spell tags, and they will try to play TAEs against zeraora, take it out in 2 hits plus a guzma to push it to the bench to die, while you do 60. Even with a hood on, I don't know if you can discard enough energies to win if you aren't taking prizes.