Discussion Best Blastoise GX partner?

jamashawalker

Ikouze!
Blastoise GX is an underrated amazing archetype in this CURRENT metagame. Once you get both GX and baby Blastoise set up it's a damn near Auto-win vs almost everything. However after playing with it since the start of this metagame, I have yet to find the better partner for Blastoise GX. There are two commonly built decks.
A-ninetales and Articuno. There are pros and cons to both versions. A-Ninetales is faster and more consistent but is an easy 2 prize Guzma bait. (Lost many games to that). Articuno keeps your set up safe, keeps your energy on the field, and a decent non-GX attacker. However it is a lot slower, and less consistent than Ninetales.

From your personal experience which Version of Blastoise GX do you like best? Any other archetypes you like to build with Blastoise GX?

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I faced one player at Madison with this deck (A9 variant), and I have to say it's really not a very good deck unfortunately. It is extremely inconsistent, and takes too long to set up. I beat them playing QuagNag, and one of the games _both_ of my naganadels were prized (and the 4th and 6th prizes I took respectively).

If you're going to play it, I think I'd focus on consistency - thus A9. But I don't think I'd play it, unless you just enjoy Blastoise (as my son does, and probably will build one for him anyway!)

jamashawalker

Ikouze!
I faced one player at Madison with this deck (A9 variant), and I have to say it's really not a very good deck unfortunately. It is extremely inconsistent, and takes too long to set up. I beat them playing QuagNag, and one of the games _both_ of my naganadels were prized (and the 4th and 6th prizes I took respectively).

If you're going to play it, I think I'd focus on consistency - thus A9. But I don't think I'd play it, unless you just enjoy Blastoise (as my son does, and probably will build one for him anyway!)

Aww that's a shame it didn't do so well. So far I've been leaning further away from the A9 build onto Articuno because of Guzma+Let loose. A good portion of my games I keep on losing because they are going after my vulpix before I get a chance to set up. Also the guzma two prizer is a real let down. The articuno is around a turn or two slower I'll admit that. I do enjoy having another attacker that can also protect my set up. I don't mind giving up 1 or 2 prizes early on. Especially against TTGX decks. And them not being able to Guzma allows the deck to beat Zapbeast. Most of my loses from Articuno came down to a bricked hand from that lack of consistency that A9 offers.

RisingRaichuu

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
2-2 A9tales, 2 Articuno is what I've been running.
I'm thinking of trying the 70HP squirtle with Green's Exploration as well.