RisingRaichuu

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
AYES:
Gyms are back-yay, Alola sucked because they had no gyms
The Pokemon designs are, well, alright
Open world function looks like it could work

NOES:
Dynamax-literally just Megas and Z-moves but even less creative and another opportunity to give the TCG a host more power creep. I wonder how it will affect Grass Knot though?
The Pokemon names just suck. Like Alola but 10 times worse
Max Raids-basically just trials from Alola but even less creative, and more Pokemon GO integration
No Brexit jokes yet

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer
Well, I was referring to the dynamax- you are right that it is not just like raid battles, but the idea is similar and maybe a better comparison would be the totem Pokemon in Sun and Moon. My criticism is not on how useless or not the mechanic is, but how it's not new. It's not an original mechanic but another take on a very faniliar mechanic which they just twiked to fit to all Pokemon. It just doesn't feel fresh to me.
Maybe I am too quick to jump into conclusions with the evolutions, and I truly hope so but idk. I feel like there will be no new evolutions to old Pokemon. Again, hope I am wrong.

Also. I rather have Mega evolution to some of the Pokemon and not satisfy with just making them bigger and call it a day. It's too lazy to me. But perhaps it will turn up to be something else than what I curently imagine.

Also I am chilled. Believe it or not but it is possible to be calm and share negative opinions on something :)

Yeah, I will agree that Max Raid Battles are very similar to Totem Pokemon, only difference being some unknown improvements and that Max Raid Battles are optional.

And I will most certainly agree that they could have done without super-sizing the Pokemon when using Dynamaxing. Although, I guess it is a bit more impressive that just making them all flashy like Totem Pokemon.

SmiteKnight

Destroying half the universe one snap at a time
People are really bashing this game quite soon, we have only had 2 directs...

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
AYES:
Gyms are back-yay, Alola sucked because they had no gyms
The Pokemon designs are, well, alright
Open world function looks like it could work

NOES:
Dynamax-literally just Megas and Z-moves but even less creative and another opportunity to give the TCG a host more power creep. I wonder how it will affect Grass Knot though?
The Pokemon names just suck. Like Alola but 10 times worse
Max Raids-basically just trials from Alola but even less creative, and more Pokemon GO integration
No Brexit jokes yet

Yep. Overall it's not a very creative game from what it looks so far. But I am glad they brought up the gyms. They definitely made a brave choice with the trials instead of gyms, but I am glad they heard the fans and decided to scrap that idea this gen. I mean, come on.. if you want to make gyms more special just make a dark type gym

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer
Interesting thing is that it seems that the Wild Area is only the location where you can move the camera. Based on footage from this trailer and the previous one, as well as what is said in the Direct, it seems like manual camera movement is restricted to this area, but lucky roaming Pokemon seem to be in every route (at least in images on the Pokemon site, guess they haven't implemented it enough in the game to show it outside of the wild area)

Another thing is that it seems that the Pokemon available and terrain changes are in a seasonally fashion, similar to Gen 5 where the season changed every month and how the terrain changed most dramatically in winter due to snow piles. This means that the Pokemon available will change with the seasons and different items might become like accessible (like an item hidden under a pile of leaves in autumn, an item on a cliff that can only be accessed due to a snow pile in winter, etc.)

Also, it appears that more and more Pokemon will appear in the Wild Area as you defeat gyms. While there isn't any actual information to back this part up, based on Pokemon that were shown in the trailer, it would be weird for trainers with less than 2 or 3 badges to be able to capture Bewear, Rhydon, Golurk, Seismitoad, Tyranitar Braviary and Avalugg.

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
People are really bashing this game quite soon, we have only had 2 directs...

haha you are right- but, there are reasons to that

1) I was very disappointed from Sun and Moon in the way it didn't feel like a new generation aside from having new Pokemon. It felt like another generatiuon 6 game and actually worse than X and Y. They did add new things, like removing HMs and the totem Pokemon, but it just didn't feel enough especially with the graphics which were pretty much the same. The Z moves were ok but really they should have been introduced before Mega evolution.

2) I have played every single Pokemon game and each generation up until Gen 7 has brought so much creativity that made you feel in a brand new world of Pokemon
with some key features that were brand new and creative. Some examples from each gen:
Gen 2 - the colors, shiny Pokemon, two regions - BIG improvement
Gen 3- the graphics, new console, the battle frontier, double battles.
Gen 4- Wifi battles, special and physical change, massive pool of new evolutions to old Pokemon.
Gen 5- Lets not talk about you my friend
Gen6- 3DS change, 3d Pokemon models, Wonder trands, the PSS, Super training, Mega evolution

If you notice as we move from generation to generation there are more noticable features, at least to me that make the new game feel really new and not just a slightly better version of what you have already experienced 100 times.

Also, I am an old Pokemon fan,(like many others) which means I naturally need more creativity and originality in a new Pokemon game after playing every Pokemon game for dozens of times.

Had I started to play Pokemon in the sixth generation I probably would have been amazed by Pokemon Sword and Shield, but it's not the case for me.

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
Interesting thing is that it seems that the Wild Area is only the location where you can move the camera. Based on footage from this trailer and the previous one, as well as what is said in the Direct, it seems like manual camera movement is restricted to this area, but lucky roaming Pokemon seem to be in every route (at least in images on the Pokemon site, guess they haven't implemented it enough in the game to show it outside of the wild area)

Another thing is that it seems that the Pokemon available and terrain changes are in a seasonally fashion, similar to Gen 5 where the season changed every month and how the terrain changed most dramatically in winter due to snow piles. This means that the Pokemon available will change with the seasons and different items might become like accessible (like an item hidden under a pile of leaves in autumn, an item on a cliff that can only be accessed due to a snow pile in winter, etc.)

Also, it appears that more and more Pokemon will appear in the Wild Area as you defeat gyms. While there isn't any actual information to back this part up, based on Pokemon that were shown in the trailer, it would be weird for trainers with less than 2 or 3 badges to be able to capture Bewear, Rhydon, Golurk, Seismitoad, Tyranitar Braviary and Avalugg.

That is a welcome thing. I think Gen 5 was too early with its graphics to implement the season changes and it never felt very noticable to me when playing. This game however has way bigger oppurtunity to make season change very noticable and a beautiful addition to how the game feels.

SmiteKnight

haha you are right- but, there are reasons to that

1) I was very disappointed from Sun and Moon in the way it didn't feel like a new generation aside from having new Pokemon. It felt like another generatiuon 6 game and actually worse than X and Y. They did add new things, like removing HMs and the totem Pokemon, but it just didn't feel enough especially with the graphics which were pretty much the same. The Z moves were ok but really they should have been introduced before Mega evolution.

2) I have played every single Pokemon game and each generation up until Gen 7 has brought so much creativity that made you feel in a brand new world of Pokemon
with some key features that were brand new and creative. Some examples from each gen:
Gen 2 - the colors, shiny Pokemon, two regions - BIG improvement
Gen 3- the graphics, new console, the battle frontier, double battles.
Gen 4- Wifi battles, special and physical change, massive pool of new evolutions to old Pokemon.
Gen 5- Lets not talk about you my friend
Gen6- 3DS change, 3d Pokemon models, Wonder trands, the PSS, Super training, Mega evolution

If you notice as we move from generation to generation there are more noticable features, at least to me that make the new game feel really new and not just a slightly better version of what you have already experienced 100 times.

Also, I am an old Pokemon fan,(like many others) which means I naturally need more creativity and originality in a new Pokemon game after playing every Pokemon game for dozens of times.

Had I started to play Pokemon in the sixth generation I probably would have been amazed by Pokemon Sword and Shield, but it's not the case for me.
Touché. I do feel like it might be beneficial for all of us pokéfans to stop dreaming up new wild expectations for each generation because we tend to disappoint ourselves (the leaks dont help), and instead appreciate the cool new smaller things, like the new pokemon and overworld pokemon in a main game (which i feel like that was overlooked, but i guess lets go had them too).

SmiteKnight

And besides, we still have e3 to look forward to, which i expect to show us even more stuff

Zielo

Caught 'em all.
I really like everything that was shown, although im not as excited for the whole Dynamax thing. Literally "It gets bigger" syndrome. I think it's still a step up from Z-moves, though, and I can't wait to see the multiplayer functionality.

Wooloo is a precious bebe, Corviknight is pretty neat, Drednaw is aight and reminds me a little of Rammus from LoL, and I don't think any of these are overly similar to pre-existing Pokemon. Pokemon has always had multiple "species" of one animal (think of how many rabbit and mouse pokemon we have). There are bound to be some similarities, just like real-world species differentiation, and I can really appreciate that they revisit a species they've already created and add a different twist to it.

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
Why didn't they reveal the types of the 2 legendaries??
Maybe they are introducing new types??

juunkmilk

3nd coming
✷i love wooloo and i love the dandelion. i dont care if we've had sheep or dandelions before, these ones are better. i love wooloo so much. i will probably give someone a tattoo of wooloo. i hope tomokazu komiya is tasked with illustrating at least one wooloo card
✷fan of dr. magnolia shorty and the girl with the star hair, also scottish pc is literally my wife. if they don't make her canonically scottish i will have a tantrum
✷interested in the steel mill lookin area with the metal staircase and in the broken up castle ruins or whatever
✷seems like a good variety of older gen pokémon available

✷overall i dislike the way the game looks, especially the pokémon models. losing the pixel outlines took away any character they still had. everything looks styleless and sterile. almost no mood to any of the settings (som exceptions, but nothing on the level of like, lost tower, old chateau, ruins of alph, etc)
✷absolutely hate the c4d looking attack animations, the red glow around the jumbo pokémon. absolutely no style. r.i.p. the iconic attack animations for swift, curse, metronome, etc.
✷i think the box legendaries are the worst ever, but i usually dislike the box legendaries. lunala was alright.
✷pretty uninterested in / unexcited about jumbo pokémon / the new gym format in general, but we'll see how it turns out.

really interested to see the rest of the creatures, the potential football hooligan bad guy team, how/if shiny hunting will work
overall i'm really excited, obviously, i am a person with an account on a pokémon forum

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
✷overall i dislike the way the game looks, especially the pokémon models. losing the pixel outlines took away any character they still had. everything looks styleless and sterile. almost no mood to any of the settings (som exceptions, but nothing on the level of like, lost tower, old chateau, ruins of alph, etc)

This. I must agree, the 3d models lack so much of what the original sprites had. But I did see a video explaining how hard it was to actually build all these 3d models and that it will take time but eventually (hopefully by gen9) we'll get more stylish 3d models of Pokemon and not the current ones.

It would be absolutely amazing if they actually make different models for each Pokemon based on the natures. (Adamant looking Pikachu vs a Timid Pikachu). That would blow my mind.

juunkmilk

3nd coming
This. I must agree, the 3d models lack so much of what the original sprites had. But I did see a video explaining how hard it was to actually build all these 3d models and that it will take time but eventually (hopefully by gen9) we'll get more stylish 3d models of Pokemon and not the current ones.

It would be absolutely amazing if they actually make different models for each Pokemon based on the natures. (Adamant looking Pikachu vs a Timid Pikachu). That would blow my mind.
yeah i'm also hopeful that the blandness has more to do with the scope of development than with stylistic preference. conversely though, it seems like things have been becoming more and more sterile and concept art-y since the beginning. og pokémon sprites had poses, facial expressions, weird cartooony foreshortening, etc. since maybe gen 3 things have been disappointingly devoted to the model, and worsening with every iteration. that doesn't mean this trend will repeat forever though, it probably depends more on what happens to popular aesthetics, especially for adjacent media. its no surprise that pokémon trainers now all look like every other thin-lines 2010s anime, or that the original designs looked more like 80s-90s akira toriyama characters

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
I absolutely hate the integration of Pokemon Go into mainstream Pokemon games. Call me nostalgic if you want to I don't care. But what I'm seeing right now are not the great games that Pokemon used to produce.

NaganadelIsBeast

Pun Intended
I absolutely hate the integration of Pokemon Go into mainstream Pokemon games. Call me nostalgic if you want to I don't care. But what I'm seeing right now are not the great games that Pokemon used to produce.

There better be Naganadel in this game! Otherwise I’m gonna fricking kill TPCi.