• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Blastoise GX (Post Rotation)

Shaneth21

Penguin
Been working on this deck ever since I bought the Team Up starter deck.

---

(15) Pokemon
4 Lapras TEU
4 Squirtle TEU
1 Wartortle TEU
3 Blastoise TEU
2 Blastoise GX UNB
1 Mew UNB

(17) Item
4 Rare Candy
3 Acro Bike
3 Pokegear 3.0
3 Pokemon Communication
2 Energy Recycler
2 Switch

(9) Supporter
3 Bill's Analysis
2 Crasher Wake
2 Professor Elm's Lecture
2 Cynthia

(19) Energy
19 Water Energy

---

Lapras is pretty insane compared to the normal power level of a rare. 1 energy for 40dmg, 2 energy for 70dmg, 3 energy for 100dmg, and so on. Usually Lapras is the starter and sets the pace of the game. You can choose to Confuse Ray for more potential setup time instead of raw damage early on. Professor Elm's Lecture lays the groundwork for the deck, setting up either 3x Squirtle or 2x Squirtle and the Bench Barrier Mew.

Ultimately you want to set up Blastoise GX with Powerful Squall Blastoise on the bench to fuel every turn.

I'm comfortable with 19 Water Energy, especially because I play Crasher Wake.

The thing I want to work on most with this deck is the Trainer lineup. For the most part it is fine, but sometimes it feels clunky.

- I really like Bill's Analysis, wondering if 4x is the right play because it searches for Rare Candy and I can get a Blastoise out easier.

- I love Crasher Wake, allows me to tutor for anything I want. I can easily snag a Rare Candy AND a Blastoise, Wartortle to bridge a Blastoise, or grab a Switch when necessary.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
I think 19 is a bit much, even with Wake. I say -2, +1 Brock’s Grit and +1 Pokémon Communication.

EDIT: Nevermind, you already have Brock’s Grit. Oopsy-poopsy.
Then I’d do:
-2 [W]
+1 Pokémon Communication
+1 Cynthia

Humble

Aspiring Trainer
Replace the two switches with Switch Raft. Does the same thing but switch raft heal 30 damage from water pokemon.

Fafnirchaos

Aspiring Trainer
What about greens search, get your blastoise up faster? Also maybe energy spinners, not saying it's bad but 19 energies is a little overkill. Imagine the mulligans.

Shaneth21

Penguin
I would cut a Brock and an energy for 2 Lillie
I just realized that Energy Recycler received a reprint in Forbidden Light. I have cut Brock's Grit for Energy Recycler. Do you think Lillie is better suited as a 4x than a 2x? I feel like if I am playing Lillie then I want to go all out and play 4.

Replace the two switches with Switch Raft. Does the same thing but switch raft heal 30 damage from water pokemon.
I thought about this as I was making the deck. The reason I run Switch is in case I am forced to start with the Bench Barrier Mew. Switch Raft will not allow me to switch Mew out, while regular Switch does.

What about greens search, get your blastoise up faster? Also maybe energy spinners, not saying it's bad but 19 energies is a little overkill. Imagine the mulligans.
I thought about Green's, but as soon as I get Blastoise out it becomes super dead. Crasher Wake is more consistent as it allows me to get Blastoise in addition to the trainers I would get such as Rare Candy. Bill's Analysis also works as a decent replacement for Green's Exploration.
Regarding the energies, I think I can afford to cut 1 or 2 for more trainers. Energy Spinner is a fine idea, I think I will try it out!

1 ditto<>
Are you saying I should run Ditto? I can only put Wartortle on it. I don't think I can Rare Candy Ditto into Blastoise.

I made some changes to the original decklist. Went with -1 Acro Bike for +1 Pokemon Communication.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Curious - have you made any further updates to this list? I made a similar-ish deck for my son (who loves Penguins, Piplup, and Squirtle/Blastoise decks, by the way) and am curious what you have made of this if anything!

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
You should play MewMew for sure imho. Getting Blastoise-GX in the discard seems much easier than setting it up as a Stage 2 attacker in addition to the Stage 2 support mon.

Shaneth21

Penguin
Curious - have you made any further updates to this list? I made a similar-ish deck for my son (who loves Penguins, Piplup, and Squirtle/Blastoise decks, by the way) and am curious what you have made of this if anything!
I put a Keldeo GX in because it's anti-GX but other than that it hasn't changed much. I do want to make some changes though.

You should play MewMew for sure imho. Getting Blastoise-GX in the discard seems much easier than setting it up as a Stage 2 attacker in addition to the Stage 2 support mon.
Not a bad idea at all.

Moultlava

Aspiring Trainer
What do you think of this list

1 Magikarp & Wailord-GX (SMP 166)
1 Volcanion Prism Star (FLI 31)
1 Blastoise-GX (UNB 35)
2 Jirachi (SMP 161)
3 Blastoise (TEU 25)
3 Lapras (TEU 31)
4 Squirtle (TEU 22)

19 Water Energy (TEU 199)