• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Baby Blacephalon (Post Rotation)

Shaneth21

Penguin
This is my favorite post rotation deck to play right now.

---

(5) Pokemon
4 Blacephalon UNB
1 Volcanion UNB

(18) Items
4 Acro Bike
4 Fiery Flint
4 Fire Crystal
4 Pokegear 3.0
2 Switch

(14) Supporter
4 Welder
4 Green's Exploration
3 Lady
3 Fisherman

(3) Stadium
2 Ultra Space
1 Heat Factory

(20) Energy
20 Fire Energy

---

I have seen some of these decks use Blacephalon GX, and while I totally understand why, I think just straight up Baby Blacephalon is more aggressive and better overall. You have to account for killing Tag Teams right off the bat, which the GX version cannot do unless it's up against specific Tag Teams. I run 20 Fire Energy which might seem like a lot, however it is a very comfortable amount that makes the deck super capable of killing Pikarom or Reshizard on turn 1 going second, netting half your prize cards right off the bat and refilling your hand.

Green's Exploration being able to nab Fiery Flint, Fire Crystal, Welder, and Ultra Space is amazing. Grabbing Ultra Space is usually super important to keep the Blacephalon train moving against other aggro decks. It is also a +1 handsize for a few turns, which matters when you need an extra card to pitch for Fiery Flint.

Volcanion is a nice Pokemon to start the game with (20% chance you will start with him), but also it serves as a counter to CLS Sceptile who nullifies damage from Ultra Beasts. The deck needs a counter to it.

Switch might seem out of place, but it is actually very good in the deck. Many decks use status conditions and you will need to switch out to another Blacephalon in order to keep up the aggression. There are other times where you need 1 extra turn to set up a mid-game Welder play, meaning you have to play Lady or Fisherman first to gather the necessary energies. Switch makes it easier to tag out into prepped Pokemon.

The deck is super consistent, but I'm all ears for another usable Basic Pokemon to counter CLS Sceptile while still being able to hold its own. It doesn't have to be Fire-type, which might ease my Water matchup, but it must have Fire/Colorless attacks with no Abilities so I can continue using Green's Exploration.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
I would suggest 19 fire energy and one beast energy. That extra 30 can fix numbers if you aren't able to get the correct number of energies in hand.

I know your deck is built for post rotation, but if you are using it now before rotation you may want a non-basic attacker in case you go up against a stall deck with Vileplume. I think a lot of people are using the Arcanine from Unbroken Bonds. But disregard if you haven't seen a lot of stall.

I do like the list, but Baby Blowns takes a MASSIVE hit with this next set because of Reset Stamp. It's even worse than Let Loose for this deck to deal with. How do you feel the deck can hold up with it?

I took out Victini Prism Star for Volcanion from Unbroken Bonds. I was starting some games with Victini and I would rather have something more useful with a 1 energy attack. Dealing 110 damage per attack is also not bad.

I would suggest 19 fire energy and one beast energy. That extra 30 can fix numbers if you aren't able to get the correct number of energies in hand.
I do own a Beast Energy and am going to try it out. I wonder how often it will show up during Welder plays, but I think overall it would be a great addition.

I do like the list, but Baby Blowns takes a MASSIVE hit with this next set because of Reset Stamp. It's even worse than Let Loose for this deck to deal with. How do you feel the deck can hold up with it?
Yeah Reset Stamp does seem crazy. I end a lot of turns with 8+ cards in hand, and the disruption seems very good against me. Topdeck mode is awful. Probably not a competitive deck once Unified Minds comes out :'(

Wouldnt brocks grit be better than fisherman? just because it lets you get 6 in any combination of basic energy and pokemon from discard?

edit: ignore me, just remembered fisherman is to hand, brocks is to deck

With no Wishful Baton you're gonna wanna have the option to Welder every turn, as a result, you don't wanna be relying on Greens' to find your stadiums in order to keep your bench full.

I would suggest adding 1 more Ultra Space, and a couple Giant Furnace, as well as 1 or two stadium Nav, this helps you to stay as consistent as possible.

I agree to take out the Fisherman (for the same reason) and instead put in a couple of Energy Spinner and a couple of Energy Retrieval.

I agree that maybe Volcanion instead of Victini is a good should, but then you lose one way of getting energy back in the deck which I think you would miss. Maybe have both?

Back