• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Spicy QuagNag (feat. Kyurem)

Knight_of_Ni

Aspiring Trainer
I've been playing around with this deck idea for a couple weeks and I'm seriously considering it as the deck to play at NAIC. The idea behind the deck goes like this since it's NOT straight quagnag:

If your playing against reshizard, setup quagsire and a naganadel or two and win. If your facing zapdos, weezing spread, or another deck focused around 1-prize attackers, try to set up quickly and take first blood and keep ahead on the prize trade. Zoroark/control and pikarom are my problem matchups, mostly because they tend to be faster than I am, and both play acerola to get around kyurem. For decks like hoopa/regigigas stall and malamar, laugh a hardy laugh, setup the kyurem loop, and paralyze everything into oblivion.

Here is my current list:

Pokemon:
1 ditto prism star
1 marshadow gx
1 onix
4 wooper (UBO)
3 quagsire (DMA)
1 quagsire (UBO)
3 poipole
3 naganadel
1 tapu lele gx
1 kyurem

Trainers:
4 cynthia
4 lillie
2 guzma
3 pokegear 3.0
4 ultra ball
4 nest ball
2 mysterious treasure
1 beast ball (this is actually really good with the 3-3 naganadel line, worst case scenario it fails and I get to peek at my prize cards)
1 pokemon communication
2 rescue stretcher
1 ultra space
1 viridian forest
2 choice band

Energy:
10 water energy

I feel like I should add a field blower in here to get rid of annoying tools/shedinjas. I've also considered adding a Lana to further help with weezing spread. Does anybody else have ideas for improving this deck against zoroark/control, pikarom, and zapdos? Please note that I play a heavier naganadel line instead of aqua patch. I feel like this is better when playing the kyurem, but if I can find room for an aqua patch or two, that would be great. If anybody has any ideas for other spicy techs I can add, please share. I strongly believe this deck has a lot of potential.

NaganadelIsBeast

Pun Intended
I recommend a couple of Stealthy Hoods. Vileplume became a little more popular in the 3 recent regionals, and as Kyurem’s a Basic, so it would definitely helped.

Knight_of_Ni

Aspiring Trainer
Thank you for the input. Does anyone have any other ideas for how I can improve this deck? I'm might consider dropping the marshadow gx for a 2nd onix.

I added a 2nd onix and I REALLY like it. I think my biggest problem now is going to be zapdos. They out-speed me and take a lead in the prize trade on T1 or T2. Is there anything I could add to my deck to help with this matchup specifically? This may sound slightly insane, but maybe a 1-0f naganadel GX could be a consideration just to use it's GX attack in the late game to reset the prizes. Just one of the many crazy ideas I have for this deck.

I'm also concerned with weezing spread a little bit, but I feel like I can take care of that matchup largely with naganadel alone. I still need to do more testing against zoroark variations, but I feel that the second onix will tip this matchup in my favor.

Finally, I do have some issues with getting energy discarded in the early game. I briefly considered adding a shuckle, but bench space is too limited and it hurts the consistency. I've also considered Sophocles as another way to manually discard energy, but I don't feel like its worth it.
Ideas? Questions? Concerns?
please share :D

Please be honest... is this a bad idea?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ecko9i6

Aspiring Trainer
Please be honest... is this a bad idea?

Yes, adding Naganadel GX in order to reset the prize count for both players is a bad idea. Generally, you want to stick to a set strategy and adding this will imply that you plan on being behind. You can't have 100% favorable match ups, which means that losing to Zapdos might just be something you need to accept.

On the other hand, you can do several things to improve this deck.

Get rid of Marshadow GX and Onix all together. You are already playing the Fighting Quagsire that does the same amount of damage as Onix does. You already have a fighting tech in your deck, no need to go and add more of them.

Kyurem is 100% unnecessary as the paralysis does almost nothing. Most decks play guzma or other switch cards so getting paralyzed does almost nothing. The damage is also pretty irrelevant so you might as well substitute it for something that hits harder.

Get rid of Mysterious Treasure, Beast ball, Pokemon Communication and Ultra space.

With nest ball, ultra ball and your draw supporters, you should have no trouble getting the Pokemon you need into play. Only having 2 Mysterious treasure doesn't really help you out that much so you might as well cut them for consistency. Same goes for Pokemon Communication. It is extremely important for you to get energy on the board so that you can use Wash out and using Viridian can let you grab one whenever you want.

My final thoughts:

Max our your viridian forest line
Add 4 wishful baton so that you can keep your energy. Field blower is almost non existent right now so you don't have to worry about them being useless.

Add 4 Aqua patch. Sure you have Naganadel, but honestly I think the 3-3 line is a bit thick. Consider doing 2-2 since you really need to have Quagsires on the bench.

Add Volcanion Prism star to the deck. It is a 160 HP basic that has a great ability and hits hard with the bonus of spread damage.

If you want to go for the spice, add Magikarp & Wailord GX. This will actually help you win the zapdos matchup. You hit an active zapdos for 100 and spread 20 to the bench with Volcanion Prism. Then you move Magikarp & Wailord GX to your active, attach enough energy to trigger the second effect of your GX attack and then watch your opponent cry. What happens is that you hit for 100 on the active zapdos and leave it with 10 HP. If your opponent has Jirachi's and Zapdos on the bench, they all take 20 damage. Magikarp & Wailord GX's GX attack does 10 base damage so it knocks out the active zapdos. If you have enough energy, then it also does 100 damage to everything on your opponents bench which would knock out all zapdos and Jirachi.

The bonus of having Magikarp and Wailord in the deck is that it's a strong tank and it has an attack that deals 180 damage. With Choice band, you can simply tank hits and knock out Stage 1's like Zoroark GX and Lycanroc GX

Knight_of_Ni

Aspiring Trainer
Thank you for the input, but I differ in opinion on a few things.
1) Kyurem is really good to use as an answer to weird rouge decks. True, people can switch/guzma around it, but more often than not, my opponent has to burn vital resources to pull this off. If not, Kyurem 2HKOs a lot of things.
2) The aqua patch/wishful batons are what make non-spicy quagnag lists notoriously inconsistent and slow. I would rather have a thicker naganadel line and more draw support.
3) Mysterious treasure, pokemon comm, and, yes, beast ball are all really good. I have dropped the ultra space for a 2nd viridian forest, and that seems worth it. Regarding beast ball, since I play such a thick naganadel line, its not uncommon to prize part of the line. Getting a card from my prize cards and getting to take a peak at my prize cards is worth 1/60th of the deck. Trust me on this one, nothing is worse than prize 2 poipole or 2 naganadel.
4) My current list no longer plays lele gx or marshadow gx. I have opted to remove any and all gxs. This helps with the prize trade in matchups such as zapdos and weezing spread. I don't think that margikarp and wailord TT is worth it for this reason. This deck relied on winning the prize trade. Also nothing is spicy about margikarp and wailord TT. Almost every normal quagnag deck plays it.
5) Volcanion prism star is good, but kinda awkward at times. Kyurem is better.

Thanks again for the input. I'll post my current list soon. I beg that you please try it out before commenting. The goal is to start taking prize cards no later than turn 3. My current list is insane in the mid to late game. While my opponent is busy digging for resources and missing OHKOs, I'm usually busy Rambo-ing everything. Enjoy!

Knight_of_Ni

Aspiring Trainer
Here is my current list the I referred to in my previous post:

Pokemon: 18
1 ditto prism star
1 onix
4 wooper (UBO)
3 quagsire (DMA)
1 quagsire (UBO)
3 poipole
3 naganadel
1 oranguru (instruct)
1 kyurem

Trainers: 33
4 cynthia
4 lillie
2 guzma
1 lana (@weezing spread: gg)
4 pokegear 3.0
4 ultra ball
4 nest ball
2 mysterious treasure
1 beast ball
1 pokemon communication
2 rescue stretcher
2 viridian forest
2 bodybuilding dumbbells (These makes life difficult for those pesky zapdos players and weezing players. Also some reshizard decks play shining lugia which eat this deck alive)

Energy: 9
9 water energy

This deck plays a little differently than normal quagnag. More often than not, your attacking with quagsire. The most difficult matchups for me are lost march (virtually nonexistent right now), weezing (I have heavily teched for this, I win ~50% of the time), and zapdos (the removal of lele gx should help). I sometimes have some difficulty getting energy discarded in the early game, but after a few turns I've usually discarded a few. Reshizard, zoroark, and vileplume/hoopa stall are absolute jokes to this deck and its almost impossible to lose. Pikarom can be a bit awkward, but I imagine once I get setup its similar to reshizard. Malamar/giratina can be interesting, and I usually can outspeed them and take first blood. This deck very rarely misses a OHKO in the late game against other single-prize attacking decks. I even stand a chance against decks like baby blacephalon, just because of this late game consistency. PLEASE PLAY ATLEAST 5 GAMES WITH THIS LIST BEFORE POSTING! THIS ISN'T JUST ANOTHER QUAGNAG LIST!