• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard SM11 Dragonite GX (post rotation)

jo94

Gen 3 lover
So, I'm pretty excited for the new dragonite coming in SM11, and I had to make a deck out of it like immideatly. I evaluated the different options, such as mally, quagnag, mew&mew gx, but I finally decided to go with a turbo fire variant, which is IMHO faster and more consistent, because it allows to use green. Here is the list:

##Pokémon - 10

* 3 Volcanion UNB 25
* 3 Dragonite-GX SM11
* 4 Dratini TEU 117

##Trainer Cards - 34

* 4 Pokégear3.0 HS 96
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 3 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 2 Switch SUM 132
* 2 Fire Crystal UNB 173
* 4 Green's Exploration UNB 175
* 4 Welder UNB 189
* 1 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 4 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113
* 3 Acro Bike CES 123
* 3 Fiery Flint DRM 60
* 2 Choice Helmet LOT 169

##Energy - 16

* 13 Fire Energy G1 128
* 3 Triple Acceleration Energy UNB 190

Still I'm not sure on the energy count, since I feel that dragonite should abuse TCE, but on the other hand you need the right amount of fire energies to efficiently use welder and volcanion. I included nest ball just because we don't know what ball will we have. Let me know your though about it, and other possible options/variants more efficient than this one.

*EDIT
I edited the list, removed the green engine in order to use welder turn 1, jirachi will help find it. Also removed volcanion because it is too slow and in end game is useless. Victini* will be our non-gx attacker. Finally Cynthia and Lillie took green's place. Still not sure about the energy count (any advice?). The only flaw I see is the lack of universal search engines, if you don't start jirachi it will be a very hard match (maybe I need a fourth one)

##Pokémon - 11
* 3 Jirachi TEU* 3 Dragonite-GX SM11
* 4 Dratini
* 1 Victini*

##Trainer Cards - 33
* 2 Cherish Ball SM 11* 4 Rare Candy * 3 Escape Board * 3 Fire Crystal * 2 Cynthia
* 2 Lillie
* 4 Welder * 4 Mysterious Treasure * 4 Pokègear 3.0* 3 Fiery Flint * 2 Choice Helmet

##Energy - 16
* 13 Fire Energy G1 128* 3 Triple Acceleration Energy UNB 190

Last edited:

jo94

Gen 3 lover
Nest ball is rotating
Yeah, I know, as I said I put it just because i don't know what search item we will have. I hope for a universal search, or at least for basics.

I assume there will be a new useful ball, imagine that instead of nest ball

Last edited by a moderator:

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Just do treasures for the dratini and cherish ball for the evolutions assuming cherish ball comes on in sm11 that is otherwise who knows being dragons means it will still be more consistent than the other decks post rot

jo94

Gen 3 lover
Lance Prism Star with TEU Dragonite?

I thought about it at first, but lance is too situational, is one of, and without lele is difficoult to get it in time. Also, double stage 2 seems too cluncky to me.

I was also thinking that without the possibility to use the first attack is hard to cope with non gx decks, I don't think my list can afford to spam the attack 6 times, will run out of fuel

JumpluffTCG

Aspiring Trainer
I feel like Mewtwo Mew TTGX is a shoe-in. You can get one Dragonite GX out and start attacking with Mewtwo to protect the Dragonite, or skip the whole Rare Candy thing altogether if you just get a Dragonite in the discard. You won't be able to use Triple Acceleration Energy, but I think the benefits of playing Mewtwo as a basic and begin charging energies T1 is well worth it.

jo94

Gen 3 lover
I feel like Mewtwo Mew TTGX is a shoe-in. You can get one Dragonite GX out and start attacking with Mewtwo to protect the Dragonite, or skip the whole Rare Candy thing altogether if you just get a Dragonite in the discard. You won't be able to use Triple Acceleration Energy, but I think the benefits of playing Mewtwo as a basic and begin charging energies T1 is well worth it.
Do you mean as a "1 of" tech?

Alpacino

TEU Jirachi for trade! See my thread!
Have you also considered running Heat Factory and Salazzles (UNB) instead of the Green's Search engine? It would also free you up to run a 1-1 Ditto Prism & FairyTales GX line which could be really good for setting up Dragonites (without using your supporter).

The thing with Green's Search is you can't use it and Welder in the same turn, which might be bad for the deck. Having draw support also helps you dig for your TCE as well...Volcanion seems good your first turn, but it's not an engine that can fuel the deck for the entire game.

jo94

Gen 3 lover
Yeah I see, I thought about using jirachi to find what i need such as candy, flint, welder etc instead of green. Heat factory is surely something I have to include. Not sure about salazzle is a stage 1 and i alreafy discard lots of energies