Discussion Granbull??

payton

Aspiring Trainer
So I’ve seen a video or 2 on a supposed rise in granbull and wanted to know if there’s a consistent way to play it and beat reshizard and baby blacephalon

Hmm, I imagine it depends on what else is in the meta. Granbull hits for 160, which isn't bad, but isn't a OHKO for Reshizard (or PikaZek), and opposing fast decks that can KO every single turn has to be just as good - which is hard. It's not as consistent as Zapdos, either, so even though it should theoretically have an advantage (taking 2 hits in general to KO) it's quite easy to escape rope/guzma out of Granbull into something OHKOable for Zapdos most of the time.

I'm not even sure it would win the Baby Blacephalon matchup more than 50/50 to be honest; while it would take 3 fire discards to OHKO, and would OHKO Blacephalon, it seems to me like Blacephalon might be able to do that more often than Granbull (and any turn there's not a Granbull out there it's taking easier KOs).

My feeling is the current meta wouldn't benefit Granbull sufficiently to justify playing it, and it would have the same hard time it did in the prior meta that basically killed off the deck.

If you want to play Fairy, I'd look at Gardy/Sylveon; that looks at least interesting!

Honestly, I think the rise, if there was any, was for the Zapdos swarm. It does trade well against Zapdos, but doesn’t do much against, like @snoopy369 said, Tag Teams.
So don’t count on it.

The deck that took 53rd place at the Champions League held in Kyoto. 53rd out of 1489 Masters Division players, which puts it in the top 3.56% of finishers.

Pokemon - 13
4 Snubbull LOT 137
4 Granbull LOT 138
3 Oranguru SUM 113
1 Ditto Prism Star LOT 154
1 Mew SM10 37

Trainer - 40
4 Apricorn Maker CES 124
4 Red's Challenge UNB 184
2 Diantha FLI 105
1 Guzma BUS 115
4 Pokegear SM9a 45
4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
4 Nest Ball SUM 123
4 Custom Catcher LOT 171
4 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
2 Switch SUM 132
1 Pal Pad FLF 92
3 Bodybuilding Dumbbells BUS 113
1 Spy Hood SM9a 46
1 Shrine of Punishment CES 143
1 Wondrous Labyrinth Prism Star TEU 158

Energy - 7
7 Fairy Energy 9

Granbull is definitely a top tier contender again! Secret hood helps improve its matchups against decks with alolan muk. The successful Japanese decks (like the one above) run heavy lines of bodybuilding dumbbells, which greatly improves the single-prize attacker matchups like baby blacephelon (they need to attach 3 energy, then discard 4 to OHKO you). Dumbbells also helps against Pikarom by requiring them to have electropower to knock you out with full blitz. Mew is another great addition that helps swing the Pikarom matchup, because they can no longer tag bolt and knock out two granbulls in one turn. And depending on the Reshizard build, Granbull can be very favored. It gets closer to 50-50 when they're running miltank + multiple turtonater, but if it's more of a streamlined turbo Reshizard build Granbull definitely has the edge.

Does anyone know why that Japanese deck list (or maybe others) cut out Magcargo? I'm a big fan of the Smooth Over -> Instruct interaction with this deck and I'm surprised that the deck performed sufficiently without it. You end up with some spare bench space (you really only need 2 Snubbull/Granbull + 2 Oranguru active at any time). I can see that Mew would be a good tech, but that still leaves you with 1 spot.

Having played the previous lists with Magcargo and the above list I posted, you just don't have the room.

You end up with some spare bench space (you really only need 2 Snubbull/Granbull + 2 Oranguru active at any time).

With the old school Granbull deck, you can get by with one Granbull, a second Granbull or Ditto/Snubull you can Evolve into Granbull the next turn, an Oranguru, and a Magcargo. However, you're vulnerable to Magcargo and/or Oranguru getting forced Active and OHKO'd. Against Pikarom, you even have to worry about both Magcargo and Oranguru getting OHKO'd. @_@ So you really want two each of everything, if you can manage it. Which leaves no room for Mew. =/

The Magcargo-less builds just take advantage of space for an extra Oranguru to keep drawing until you get what you need to clean out your hand.

Back