Contest March 2019 CaC: Attack & Defense! (Results Are Up!)

when you 4th omega oof

Congrats to all winners and top 3 folks! T'was a great contest and I'm guessing I did okay-ish for something that I haven't done for a few years now. Looking forward to seeing everyone's improvements in the next competition, and best of luck to all who will be participating in the next one!

To say this is (i think) my first CAC I have actually completed, I'm happy with 37/50. I can't believe I put dex entry and stats on a GX though. Oh well

Believability: 8/15
Cannibal Fish is a perfectly fine effect by itself and can assist that Sharpedo you added for context with powering up without making it too easy to do so. Smell of Blood, however, is vastly overpowered for only one energy on an NFE Basic. With only one damage counter on a Benched Pokémon provided by a Carvanha, you’re suddenly doing 30 damage to your opponent for one energy, and with two or more you get to 50+, which is wayyyy too strong for a Pokémon that hasn’t fully evolved. And this isn’t even mentioning the fact that you can just get damage on a Benched Pokémon without this effect, which could shoot your damage over 100 for a single energy, which is absolutely insane.

My bad, I guess. The main point of Cannibal Fish was that you had to put damage counters on your Pokemon, and with 3-4 Carvanha in play putting up to 8 damage counters on your Pokemon each cycle, that'd be a huge risk to balance out; I assumed that without that many Carvanha in play you couldn't get the damage on the board in the first place. Also, the basic water or dark [Ouch... And of course it's only now that I see that I hadn't put that clause into the attack] Pokemon with the most HP are either Prism Stars or 120HP Wailmers, so I thought I'd balanced it out decently enough. I did try to think of ways to get damage on your bench without the ability, but struggled to think of anything... All I could come up with was the Reuniclus/Weavile/Klefki loop from that Unown DAMAGE deck.

I do get that it was way too strong for it's stage and the energy cost was definitely too low (would [D][C] have been better, or is even that not enough?), but I'll work to fix the balancing in future. If I remember correctly, that was the main issue in my very first CaC too. 34/50 is pretty disappointing for me, but I had heaps of fun making the card so this isn't a CaC I'll forget any time soon.

I got the dub..?
I thought, personally, that there was too much going on on the card to be too believable.

This is a wonderful card as always, Vi! You mentioned in your post that the website you normally use for wording was down at the time you made this, so the errors that you did make in this card are likely just an effect of that and thus should be easily fixable now that the site is back up. Keep up the nice work!
Awww, I'm a little heartbroken by the wording errors, but I realize I definitely should've looked over my entry again and tried to reference things where I could without this site, especially with the edit penalty. (First time invoking that?)

Congrats to everyone on their results! I'm glad I could share this entry I'm super proud of. I'm also glad I could get away with not having to judge this month, thanks NP.

-The effect happens at the end of your opponent’s turn and thus would automatically expire, so to make it actually work, specify it’s “your opponent’s next turn”. [-1 Point]
While this isn't a rebuttal, I did want to clarify the effect was intended to happen instantly, before your opponent deals damage with their attack. I avoided putting "your opponent's next turn", as it would imply decreased damage during your opponent's next turn, allowing you to stack both the offense and defense effects on top of each other for the turn, meaning you were attacking with absolutely no drawback. I simply didn't have a better way to word it, but wanted to strictly avoid using "next turn" for this purpose.

Nice work everyone, and especially congrats to @Gabs Kazumi and @Lord Goomy for taking out first place! It was tough competition, everyone did fantastic and should be very proud.

Funny story Jabber, I had fully intended to have a Rush In style Ability on my LvX, but realised that Pokemon can’t Level Up if they are on the Bench and wrote that rather useless Ability out of spite. xD

Funny story Jabber, I had fully intended to have a Rush In style Ability on my LvX, but realised that Pokemon can’t Level Up if they are on the Bench and wrote that rather useless Ability out of spite. xD
Yep lol, I believe you mentioned that in your OP and that's what I was making reference to. :p

I do think you could have gotten away with some sort of "Once during your turn, you may play this card from your hand to Level-Up 1 of your Benched Keldeo. If you do, etc" effect, though. The way you did it is neat design space, just not totally with the rest of the card.

Yep lol, I believe you mentioned that in your OP and that's what I was making reference to. :p

I do think you could have gotten away with some sort of "Once during your turn, you may play this card from your hand to Level-Up 1 of your Benched Keldeo. If you do, etc" effect, though. The way you did it is neat design space, just not totally with the rest of the card.

Did I mention that? Man it’s been too long. xD

It’s interesting, I’ve been inspired to take a more minimalistic approach to effect design lately thanks to the ideas of a few image and text based fakers, so that is definitely manifesting itself in my card designs. I’m trying not to complicate it or do too much at once, hahaha.

Last edited:
My bad, I guess. The main point of Cannibal Fish was that you had to put damage counters on your Pokemon, and with 3-4 Carvanha in play putting up to 8 damage counters on your Pokemon each cycle, that'd be a huge risk to balance out; I assumed that without that many Carvanha in play you couldn't get the damage on the board in the first place. Also, the basic water or dark [Ouch... And of course it's only now that I see that I hadn't put that clause into the attack] Pokemon with the most HP are either Prism Stars or 120HP Wailmers, so I thought I'd balanced it out decently enough. I did try to think of ways to get damage on your bench without the ability, but struggled to think of anything... All I could come up with was the Reuniclus/Weavile/Klefki loop from that Unown DAMAGE deck.

I do get that it was way too strong for it's stage and the energy cost was definitely too low (would [D][C] have been better, or is even that not enough?), but I'll work to fix the balancing in future. If I remember correctly, that was the main issue in my very first CaC too. 34/50 is pretty disappointing for me, but I had heaps of fun making the card so this isn't a CaC I'll forget any time soon.
[D][C] definitely would have been better, but that's probably still not enough. SuMo's not fully evolved basics are just so low power compared to Stage 1 NFEs/fully evolved Pokemon that just the idea of possibly doing 70+ damage is overpowering for them. You'd still need to lower it to 10x the number of damage counters (or maybe keep 20+ but make it so you can't add more than 40 damage in this way? It feels like it defeats some of the purpose of the attack capping it at two damage counters but would work for balance.).
While this isn't a rebuttal, I did want to clarify the effect was intended to happen instantly, before your opponent deals damage with their attack. I avoided putting "your opponent's next turn", as it would imply decreased damage during your opponent's next turn, allowing you to stack both the offense and defense effects on top of each other for the turn, meaning you were attacking with absolutely no drawback. I simply didn't have a better way to word it, but wanted to strictly avoid using "next turn" for this purpose.
In that case, the effect wouldn't actually work as it stands. Because the effect triggers at the same time Aegislash is damaged, you'd instead want to rework it to refer specifically to the attack that just damaged you, as the current wording can lead to confusion like I had.

Last edited:
In that case, the effect wouldn't actually work as it stands. Because the effect triggers at the same time Aegislash is damaged, you'd instead want to rework it to refer specifically to the attack that just damaged you, as the current wording can lead to confusion like I had.
Noted, thank you! I suppose I'd need to find a proper way to word it instead of what I went about doing and that requires me to take another look at my entry.

Another result I saw and just AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA and forgot to reply XD

Thanks for the contest! It's the first time I got the first place, I'm so proud of my Haxorus boi <3

I'll take the advice and try to refine my holosheets next time! This was the first time I tried shading in the art too (this part tends do terrify me bc I don't understand much yet) and I hope to improve with the next contests.

Back