• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Magearna/Lucario

aaron2310

Aspiring Trainer
I'm returning player with a limited collection. I really enjoyed running the new Lucario at the Unbroken Bonds pre-release and then I saw Magearna's ability and wanted to have a go at putting the two together.

I was hoping to get some suggestions/feedback on the decklist as it's the first one I've built in some years.

Thanks in advanced :)

Pokemon = 18
Oranguru (Sun and Moon) x 1
Absol (Team-Up) x 1
Tapu Lele (Guardians Rising) x 1
Magearna (Prism) x 4
Riolu (not sure which version. Prism or Unbroken Bonds?) x 3
Lucario (Unbroken Bonds ) x 3
Dialga (Prism) x 1
Meltang x 2
Melmetal GX x 2

Trainer = 30
Metal Googles x 4
Metal Core Barrier x 4
Choice Band x 4
Guzma x 2
Judge x 2
Lillie x 4
Cynthia x 4
Switch x 2
Ultra Ball x 2
Red’s Challenge x 2

Metal Energy x 12

Getting energy will be critical. -2 Magearna +2 Viridian Forest

While I agree with the addition of Viridian Forest, removing 2 Magearna is not ideal IMO. I think remove any combination of Metal Core Barrier and Metal Goggles, because most time you will be bringing the tool back to your hand not discarding it. Adventure Bag could be helpful too. So changes would be:

-2 Metal Core Barrier or Metal Goggles
-1 Dialga GX
-1 Lillie

+2 Viridian Forest
+2 Adventure Bag

These are just my ideas, someone could have better advice.

I don't think I understand, Metal Core Barrier and Metal Goggles only work while they're *attached* to the Pokemon. Why would you use Magearna's ability to get them off the Pokemon? Am I missing something here?

I don't think I understand, Metal Core Barrier and Metal Goggles only work while they're *attached* to the Pokemon. Why would you use Magearna's ability to get them off the Pokemon? Am I missing something here?

I believe so. Lucario does 70 more damage if a tool was attached to it on the turn it was attached. So you would use Magearna to remove the tool, and then re-attach it from your hand for the extra 70 damage. Unless I’m missing something....

No, that is exactly the plan! And thanks for the advice, NaganadelIsBeast, I had actually ordered some Adventure Bags and completely forgot about them!

I was a little concerned about having bigger Pokemon for towards the end-game. Is the Meltang/Metal line going to be hard-hitting enough?

I thought about building this deck too. Personally I don't think I'd include any GX's but I have not tested this deck yet. I'd use Ultra Prism Riolu, since 10 damage is useless but you could potentially defend the ULP one from taking damage which could be useful at the start of a game; and also since that would be your main attacker, I'd include 4 Riolu and 4 Lucario, replace Metal Goggles with Metal Frying Pan (as it removes the potential weakness against Fire types which will likely become popular) and like others suggested, bring an Adventure Bag. I'm not entirely convinced by the need for Viridian Forest... but perhaps it could be useful.

Saying that, I think the deck could be more of a non-GX Shrine deck; including Shrine and no GX's would soften up your opponent and if you included one or two Dhelmise from GUR, you could potentially do 140/150 (or even 170/180 with Choice Band) damage per turn.

If you really wanted to include a GX in there, Kartana GX could be a quick game winner, for one energy you can use the GX to take the final prize. Or if you really wanted to include the Melmetal-GX, I'd also include a Heatran from CES and more energy in your deck to accelerate onto the Melmetal because otherwise you'll just be stuck with a GX on your Bench that won't be powered up in time.

Personally, I don't think Oranguru, Absol, Dialga GX or all 4 Lillie's are too necessary or useful, as you will want enough Bench space for at least 1 more Lucario line, 1 Magearna, 1-2 Dhelmise (if you include it) and 1 free for another Riolu if needed or Meltan/Kartana-GX (again if you went that route).

Let me know what you think, I cannot wait to try this deck out myself!

Edit 1: If you were to run the Melmetal GX, you could include a copy of Ditto Prism Star as an extra Meltan/Riolu.

I really think exp share would be an excellent synergy with multiple magearna, adventure bags, and a 2 energy cost. At least until rotation, and it's a cheap card anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions all. I've made some tweeks and gone for the following:

Pokemon = 16
Magearna (Prism) x 4
Riolu (Prism) x 4
Lucario (Unbroken Bonds ) x 4
Dhelmise (Guardians Rising) x 2
Kartana GX (Crimson Invasion) x 1

Trainer = 32
Metal Frying Pan x 4
Metal Core Barrier x 2
Choice Band x 4
Guzma x 2
Judge x 2
Lillie x 3
Cynthia x 4
Switch x 2
Ultra Ball x 2
Red’s Challenge x 2
Adventure Bag x 2
Viridian Forest x 2
Shrine of Punishment x 1

Metal Energy x 12

Is that looking a bit better?

Thanks for the suggestions all. I've made some tweeks and gone for the following:

Pokemon = 16
Magearna (Prism) x 4
Riolu (Prism) x 4
Lucario (Unbroken Bonds ) x 4
Dhelmise (Guardians Rising) x 2
Kartana GX (Crimson Invasion) x 1

Trainer = 32
Metal Frying Pan x 4
Metal Core Barrier x 2
Choice Band x 4
Guzma x 2
Judge x 2
Lillie x 3
Cynthia x 4
Switch x 2
Ultra Ball x 2
Red’s Challenge x 2
Adventure Bag x 2
Viridian Forest x 2
Shrine of Punishment x 1

Metal Energy x 12

Is that looking a bit better?

This is looking a lot better but you forgetting some important cards in this deck. More Pokémon search cards.
My suggestion:
- 1 Adventure bag (You're playing a lot of tools, you'll only need to use it once per game honestly)
-1 Magearna (You only need 1 out on the field. You don't need multiple copies out at once)
-2 Metal Energy (For the suggestion of Mt Cornet)
- 1 Red's Challenge (It's a niche card that can come in clutch but you don't want to use it over another supporter unless you have to)
+4 Nest Ball
+1 Ultra Ball

With that you'll have more consistency to get your Riolu's, Dhelmise, Magearna etc out a lot faster. Also I'm shocked no one has said Mt Cornet for your stadium of choice. With Mt Cornet you get a cost free Ultra Ball/Red's Challenge and you'll be able to always get 2 metal energy after a Lucario is KOed. Much better and more consistent.
If you can or if anyone else agrees with maybe teching in a few counter energy to be able to retaliate back after a TTGX gets that early turn KO.

Shrine, Dhelmise, Less Defensive tools, more choice bands all great choices!!

Thanks for the suggestions, jamashawalker. Would you think Cornet instead of the Viridian Forest?

Absolutely. It'll be a lot better for you, for that immediate 2 metal energy you need without needing to discard a card or dig through your deck to find another one. Turn 1-3 You should have an easy time find the necessary energy to attack.

Rightio! Thanks for the advice everyone. I've got everything ordered now, just waiting for the last cards to come and then I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl!

Have you considered Lucario&Melmetal GX Tag Team in this? I think it might have nice synergy; the GX attack plus using metal frying pan means Lucario takes 60 less damage - so 190 is needed to OHKO, which is crazy high. And Field Blower will likely rotate out, so you might actually be able to keep that tool on him...

- 1 Adventure bag (You're playing a lot of tools, you'll only need to use it once per game honestly)

I think i'll disagree with this. The point of Adventure Bag is to allow you to play reduced copies of each of the tool types, but be able to get the tool you need in that matchup. Having a couple means you have a good chance at getting it, having just one means it's often never going to see your hand. It also effectively reduces your deck size, which is nice (think acro bike or judge whistle) - one card that takes two cards out of your deck, so you have more time to get to what you need.

For example, you'll in some games want choice band to hit Tapu Lele GX for 170 (+Dhelmise). But when you're facing PikaRom, you want Frying Pan to protect you most of the time (to make it so you have effectively 190 HP if you played Lucario+MelMetal TTGX, for example), but if they bring out Tapu Koko GX maybe you want Choice Band. And against any fire type, definitely frying pan.

Even if you play 4 of each of these, you'll have *the wrong one* much of the time. You'll have 3 choice bands in hand while Charizard wipes the floor with your poor Lucarios.

Adventure Bag is one of my key must-haves for Zapdos/Jirachi - it allows me to play fewer choice bands and escape boards and still be able to get them when I need them. It *also* allows me to get *two*, which is even more helpful - one now, one later. And third, it's playable for no effect when you really don't want it in your hand.

I'd at minimum play what you had:

3 Choice Band
3 Frying Pan
2 Metal Core
2 Adventure Bag

But I might even try upping the bags to 3 (2-2-2-3), particularly once field blower leaves the game (or if you can recover them from discard). Then playtest the numbers in between these, see how often you get use out of the adventure bag vs. how often you prize/discard a vital tool.

Definitely more balls, nest balls and ultra balls, at least until rotation.

I'd also strongly consider playing Jirachi in this deck. At least until rotation, it's easy to include two or three, include a few escape boards, and then have *way* more consistency. If you're playing Jirachi then maybe you have less need for adventure bags (though I still like having one or two there, as the first one you find will net you an escape board for Jirachi and a something for Lucario). You could reduce to 3 choice band, 2 frying pan, 2 core, 1 bag, 2 escape board, and put Jirachi in for a Red's.

I feel like you are betting a lot on lucario tanking a hit, with no energy acceleration to stream attackers if one goes down. MCB may work, giving you 200 for a turn, but even one exp share could set you up for the game even if you are up against an ohko deck. Post rotation we may need a new plan... all I can think of atm is naga e-switch.

Have you considered Lucario&Melmetal GX Tag Team in this? I think it might have nice synergy; the GX attack plus using metal frying pan means Lucario takes 60 less damage - so 190 is needed to OHKO, which is crazy high. And Field Blower will likely rotate out, so you might actually be able to keep that tool on him...

I hadn't actually. He looks pretty interesting. If I were to try going for the big hitters, how many do people tend to run?

I think i'll disagree with this. The point of Adventure Bag is to allow you to play reduced copies of each of the tool types, but be able to get the tool you need in that matchup. Having a couple means you have a good chance at getting it, having just one means it's often never going to see your hand. It also effectively reduces your deck size, which is nice (think acro bike or judge whistle) - one card that takes two cards out of your deck, so you have more time to get to what you need.

That's another interesting thought. So playing search cards, allows you to play less of the specific cards so you have more options when you need it! Would you stick with 3 as the minimum for items or do even further down to 2?

I'd also strongly consider playing Jirachi in this deck. At least until rotation, it's easy to include two or three, include a few escape boards, and then have *way* more consistency. If you're playing Jirachi then maybe you have less need for adventure bags (though I still like having one or two there, as the first one you find will net you an escape board for Jirachi and a something for Lucario). You could reduce to 3 choice band, 2 frying pan, 2 core, 1 bag, 2 escape board, and put Jirachi in for a Red's.

They're still a little too much for my liking, unfortunately. I've only pulled one and haven't gotten around to buying anymore yet.

I feel like you are betting a lot on lucario tanking a hit, with no energy acceleration to stream attackers if one goes down. MCB may work, giving you 200 for a turn, but even one exp share could set you up for the game even if you are up against an ohko deck. Post rotation we may need a new plan... all I can think of atm is naga e-switch.

Outside of the metal Magazone, is there any energy acceleration that would suit this?

As always, thanks to everyone offering suggestions. :)

Lucario&Melmetal TTGX - not sure how many people play, my guess would be 1 or 2 at most. 1 is probably fine, if you prize it you still are okay.

As far as Jirachi, 1 is fine. I'd play 2, but you have 1, play 1. You don't need to add much else to the deck except an escape board (if you play adventure bag then 1 is probably okay, 2 is better but 1 is okay, you have some switching if you prize it).

For adventure bag, the main issue is how many do you need of each in the matchups you need them in, to actually be on the table. If 2 is fine, and even 1 if you prize one, then 2 is sufficient. If you really need 3 of choice band in some matchups, then you have to play 3. If for the *most* part you think 130 damage is enough, then you can play 2 of each card and not worry about it, excepting that with *so* much fire around, more frying pans could be needed if you have a lot of fire in your area (though RR&CZ TT will probably just blow you away anyway on the second Outrage).

And for metal acceleration - yeah, it's not really feasible. Metagross GX is another possibility (from discard), but basically you're going to need to have two turns for each Lucario; Mt. Coronet lets you pretty much guarantee to get out a metal every turn at least, but if your Lucarios aren't tanking a hit then you're probably losing.

Back