Contest PokéPoetry! IX: Poets Strike Back (Congratulations, VioletValkyrie!)

Turtwig

Retired retired Mod. Jovimohnaeliackvid.
pokepoetry003_zpsc33d0b5d.png

This amazing banner was made by BigfootAUS! Thanks Bigfoot, you have serious talent!

PokéPoetry! #9

Well, PokéBeach, it’s been a while since we’ve indulged in a little Pokémon Poetry, hasn’t it? Now relax, this is just a fun competition to get your ink flowing again. The rules are very simple, but don't fret--I’ll link examples of past rounds down below.​

I. Signups: You must reserve a post in this thread that details your chosen style of poetry. Please add it to your entry post before the signup deadline!
Example:
Code:
Username: William Shakespeare
Chosen style: Sonnet (Iambic Pentameter)

II. Style: You may change poem styles while signups are open, and you are free to edit your poem until the voting phase begins. We only request that you update us so we can update the thread accordingly.

A few examples of the types of poetry are as follows:
  • Free Verse
  • Blank Verse
  • Haiku
  • Sonnet
  • Epic
  • Limerick
  • Song (duh!)
  • And many, many more... (Google's your friend)
III. Content: Once signups end, we will randomly assign a Pokémon with which you create your freestyle poem.
  • Your poem must at least contain five lines to be accepted, with the sole exception being a haiku. You’re free to otherwise loosely follow a style or rhyme so long as you mention it!
  • You must write your poem about that assigned Pokemon (that’s where the fun is, don’t change it!) by the stated submission date below. Failure to submit will result in disqualification from the competition, but you’re still free to comment and vote.
  • Be descriptive and creative! Don't be afraid to try something new.
IV. Plagiarism: Any instances of plagiarism will result in disqualification from the contest.

V. Grammar: Please make sure you use proper spelling and grammar! If there are too many mistakes (outside rhetorical purpose), we’ll ask you to fix it.

VI. Voting: Anyone can vote, not just the contestants! You will be able to choose up to three of your favorite poems during the judging phase. You can either "like" the contestant's post or send a PM to Turtwig with the name(s) of the contestants/poems that impressed you. All members of PokéBeach are encouraged to take part in the voting process.

This contest will be very relaxed, and you will be given the opportunity to write your poem in any way you desire. For example, if you are assigned a dark, gloomy Pokemon like Mimikyu, you are free to make your poem reflect upon that Pokemon's nature and type, or you may completely surprise us and write the complete opposite and incorporate the positives and playfulness of Mimikyu. It's all up to you!

4/27 - Sign Ups begin.

5/2 - Sign Ups end and Pokémon are assigned.

5/11 - Entries are due and voting begins.

5/14 - Voting ends and winners are announced!

If a poem here really catches your eye, let that author know in the thread! A few words can go a long way and feedback is always appreciated.

List of Contestants:
1. Celever (Free Verse) Mantine ELIMINATED Nah he just forgot
2. Blakers (Free Verse) Simisage
3. Ephemera (Free Verse) Flabébé
4. Nyan (Sonnet) Cosmog
5. NinjaPenguin (Triolet) Greninja Funny, ninjas...
6. Serperior (Free Verse) Pheromosa
7. NagandelIsBeast (Free Verse) Kartana
8. Jabberwock (Limerick) Azelf
9. VioletValkyrie (Free Verse) Riolu
10. TeamAqua4Life (Free Verse) Mudbray
11. Vom (Song) Magnezone
12. Lord Goomy (Acrostic) Mareep
13. Nyora (Sonnet) Pawniard Withdrew
14. RealArity (Song) Shuckle
15. bbninjas (Limerick) Corsola Eaten by Mareanie

Last edited:

Celever

Wheeeee~
Definitely sign me up. And those links in the OP are bringing back memories... hard to believe my first (I think first) round, PokéPoetry V, was over 5 years ago at this point. Hopefully this time my poem won't be an incoherent "narrative" of poorly assembled words just 'cos they rhyme, which based on rereading my PokéPoetry V submission seems to be roughly what my mind created :p

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Wow, this is a thing! I remember seeing PokePoetry in the archives many years ago but never had the guts to browse through it, ha.

I'll have to see about signing up. I could probably settle with a haiku, but I would want to put in a tad more thought than that and do justice to the competition. Maybe life will be nice? please

Ephemera

just a little longer...
I'd like to sign up, please!

edit: Free Verse is my chosen style.

Last edited:

Turtwig

Glad to see some interest coming through! Don't fret about the contents and quality just yet, you'll have 9 days to get your poems in after assignment! If you want some pressure off, you can always do free verse and work with your own rules.

Also, don't forget to state your style before signups end on Thursday! You're free to think it over and look anything up in the meantime. When in doubt, rhyme it out?

Celever

Wheeeee~
I'll make mine free verse. Will possibly go for a comic dialogue if I get a Pokémon I think it fits for, which afaik free verse best includes(?)

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
Wow, this is a thing? This is so cool. I've been meaning to write more poetry.

Sign me up! Just...kindly remind me if I push too closely to the deadline haha

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
Whoa, this is something I never knew existed! Sign me up, I'm more than interested! Put me in for free verse, everyone knows how much I love a haiku or three but I'm gonna keep spreading my wings here.

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
Whoa, this is something I never knew existed! Sign me up, I'm more than interested! Put me in for free verse, everyone knows how much I love a haiku or three but I'm gonna keep spreading my wings here.
Shoutout to @bbninjas for making me aware of this even though I've only ever written a single poem in my life? bb I don't know if you're up to something but it worked.

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Me? Up to something?

It isn’t possible, I assure you.
There once was a ninja named bb
Who didn't quite think or believe he
Could be in the slightest
Suspicious or biased
"I'm not!" he exclaimed, but could he be?

:U

Turtwig

Wow guys @Jabberwock is already flexing for this competition

I'm so excited to have 9 (potentially 10 with bb) people signed up already, thank you all for being a part of it so far! Maybe we can bring back the writing community with these contests. The good old days.

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
There once was a ninja named bb
Who didn't quite think or believe he
Could be in the slightest
Suspicious or biased
"I'm not!" he exclaimed, but could he be?
Wow guys @Jabberwock is already flexing for this competition

To be fair, props to Jabs for going in with a limerick of all things. If he's flexing before we start I'm going to have to show him something once we really get to it, though.