• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Casual Decks for Fun and Learning

Steirnen

Aspiring Trainer
So, I have been thinking about joining the game, but while opnion online seems to be that theme decks have gotten better, they still have too much energy and pokémon cards, and little to no trainers which are the base of more serious decks. So, I decided to buy singles for 2 decks, one for myself, one for my sister. Yes, I am on a budget, not sure how much in dollars tho, sorry. (the cardlist below, is half my budget)
Also, I won't be following any format, this will be kitchen table for ease in finding cards and more variety.

For now, I only have chosen a skeleton of trainer cards:

2 Copycat
2 Crushing Hammer
4 Energy Retrieval
4 Energy Search
2 Energy Switch
2 Exp. Share
2 Field Blower
2 Fighting Fury Belt
2 Great Ball
2 Hala
2 Healing Scarf
2 Lysandre
4 Max Potion
8 Nest Ball
4 Ninja Boy
4 Pokémon Catcher
2 Pokémon Center
2 Pokémon Fan Club
4 Professor Juniper
4 Professor Sycamore
2 Professor's Letter
4 Rescue Stretcher
4 Super Rod
4 Switch
8 Ultra Ball

That's 41 cards for each deck, 19 slots open.
Opnions about this, to 2 beginners to the the game? (I do play Magic, she played some pokémon here and there)
Tips/changes to the skeleton, for fun games?

Also, obviously it's missing the pokémon themselves.
Mostly she likes Water types, then Grass types. And cute pokes like Teddyursa and Skitty.
I admit I also like some cute, but prefer 'coolness'. Solgaleo, Blaziken, Decidueye, Greninja, Lycanroc day/dusk forms, Zeraora, are all cool looking pokes.
Strategy wise, in Magic I prefer both the Aggro and Midrange archetypes, be aggressive, but also keep some [Muder]s and Exile spells in hand to assure that your creatures will actually be undisrupted on their rampage. I also prefer big creatures instead of a weenie army.

Thanks for any help!

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
My best advice is to look at winning deck lists in tournaments, then compare their card counts and analyze their strategies of winning. You can find them here:

http://limitlesstcg.com/tournaments/

No, these are not very budget friendly by any means, and you don't need to build the lists. But the lists are quite inspirational to use in budget decks, and show all sorts of deck strategies to figure out how to play. I've made all sorts of rogue decks using supposedly 'inferior' cards, and they are quite fun to play - Even against the meta-defining cards out there.

Last edited:

Steirnen

Aspiring Trainer
I gave some reading around, made the following list but it has too many cards, and too little of some(1 VS Seeker, 0 Cynthia) due to budget constraints.

1 Acerola
1 Acro Bike
1 Battle Compressor
2 Brooklet Hill/Mt Coronet/Rough Seas/Skyarrow Bridge/Steel Shelter/Wondrous Labyrinth
1 Cheren
1 Copycat
1 Energy Loto
1 Energy Recycler
1 Energy Retrieval
1 Energy Search
1 Eviolite
1 Field Blower
1 Fighting Fury Belt
1 Great Ball
1 Hala
1 Lady
2 Lillie
2 Lysandre
2 Mallow
2 Max Potion
4 Nest Ball
1 Pal Pad
2 Plumeria
1 Pokemon Fan Club
2 Professor Sycamore
2 Rescue Stretcher
3 Sightseer
2 Sophocles
2 Super Rod
4 Switch
1 Tate & Liza
1 Team Skull Grunt
4 Ultra Ball
1 VS Seeker
10 X Energy

What I could cut or increase or add?
On pokemons, I am considering Swampert/Venusaur/Sceptile for one deck, Scizor/Solageleo/Lucario/Umbreon/Sylveon for the other deck.

Fafnirchaos

Aspiring Trainer
Never played magic, however most ptcg usually go by very fast. That and with energy costs it's easier to just focus on single lines as opposed to multiple different lines - E.G 4 scythers 4 Scizors, as opposed to 1-1 or 2-2 lines, it can still work but your opponent(once he has energies down) will be chipping away or koing your active.

Also even well constructed decks brick, so having all different energy costs could cost you the game, you can try theme decks just to see how the game is played (they are the cheapest) and once you have the concept down, you'll be making decks in no time.