Discussion Zebstrika or Jirachi for Card Draw?

K_la

Aspiring Trainer
What is everyone planning on doing to avoid bricking when Oranguru is rotated out? Will you use Zebstrika (Lost Thunder) as a replacement, or Jirachi (Team Up).

Oranguru has been a staple in almost all my decks, and with it rotating out it presents a significant hole in draw support. I worry that Zebstrika will sacrifice usable cards and lead to decking out, and Jirachi takes up many spots with escape board to get it out of active. It doesn't appear we will be getting a better replacement.

What is everyone's plan to address this draw support vacuum!

NaganadelIsBeast

Pun Intended
I for one, plan on using Jirachi, because it ha increased consistency, and is a basic opposed to Zebstrika. But the option between Zebstrika and Jirachi depends on the deck.

Zebstrika-Is useful for decks that rely on discarding cards. Good for Malamar and Blacephalon/Naganadel because of energy discard, and in Expanded for things like Vespiquen and Flareon for discarding Pokemon. Although, this takes up more deck space being a Stage 1.

Jirachi-Good in Lightning decks for searching Electeopower, Volkner, especially in Zapdos without PikaRom for searching Electropower and Choice Band because of low damage output. Also will be good in BuzzMosa and GengaKyu/Omastar because of their massive trainer counts.

This is just my opinion though.

Articuno_Aria

Articuno is UNO for a reason
Jirachi would also be good in Reshizard or other fire/turbo fire decks because it can search for Welder, fire crystals, firey flint, etc

momand

Aspiring Trainer
I honestly don't like Jirachi that much after rotation. Without Guzma we don't really have consistent ways to get it in the Active. I suppose Zebstrika would do fine, but we already have Dedenne GX which I feel should just be amazing post rotation, combined with thicker draw support (4 Lillie, 4 Cynthia, 4 whatever else)

NaganadelIsBeast

Pun Intended
Oh, I forgot about switching losses. Maybe it can be used with Pokémon with low retreat cost.

Water will be better after rotation. Why? Two simple words. Switch Raft.

ninetales1234

Biscuit Taste-Tester
I've been playing a lot of spread decks this year. Zebstrika is an easy choice. Zebstrika is guaranteed cards. Anything I run in my deck that's important, I run more than one of, so I'm willing to risk discarding them. The other advantage of Zebstrika is that you don't devote stuff to getting in IN or OUT of active position, which are *are* doing with Jirachi. However, Jirachi is good for a lot of stuff where you can use escape board on other stuff, like Malamar decks.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Post-rotation Jirachi is simply looking as good because we still have Switch (it was reprinted in Celestial Storm) and Escape Board. Of course we will need more mon-based consistency seeing how we lose a lot of balls, but Pokemon Communication can remedy the starting turns while you search for your Zebstrikas/Salazzles.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Aqua Patch was only from the GRI set, so it it will be rotating as well.
Yea I'm aware of that i was saying that the loss of aqua patch out weighs switch craft and that the loss of aqua patch will make water weaker than switch raft can make up for

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
Oh, I forgot about switching losses. Maybe it can be used with Pokémon with low retreat cost.

Water will be better after rotation. Why? Two simple words. Switch Raft.
We'll still have Switch since its in CES so it really doesn't matter they there's switch raft

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
[QUOTE="NaganadelIsBeast, post: 2988021, member: 130955"

Zebstrika-Is useful for decks that rely on discarding cards. Good for Malamar

This is just my opinion though.[/QUOTE]

malamar uses jirachi

rewster1

Aspiring Trainer
Koko, big buzz and rule of evil weavile are leaving, so I may try pidgeotto. Unless weezing really takes off.

EDIT Uh, I forgot about the new dewgong, never mind, salazzle and welder in every deck regardless of type.

Last edited: