Discussion Alternatives Post-Rotation & Good Decks Post-Rotation

alakazam1228

Aspiring Trainer
With many meta-changing cards like Tapu Lele-GX, Ultra Ball, Guzma, Nest Ball, Zoroark-GX, etc. leaving the Standard Format once rotation begins, what decks do you guys think will be good, and what alternatives do you guys think will be used in decks to compensate for the loss of great consistency tools that were so prominent in many decks?

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
I'm only concerned with control decks. Control loses a bunch of good cards and, up to this point, not much is available to replace it. We currently know of 2/3 of Unified Minds (we don't have any spoilers for anything in the third set...Miracle Twins? Wonder Twins?). Here's what I have so far:

- Unless we get something incredible in the next set, we have little to no "Ball" support. Things like Ultra Beasts will be big because Ultra Space is a Stadium that acts as a free "Ball" every turn.

- I think the new Naganadel-GX will be the replacement to Zoroark-GX in terms of Zoroark-GX / Oranguru control. Even if you uise a 4-4 Naganadel-GX line with 4 Ultra Space, you can search out a Poipole/Naganadel-GX through 'Space, UB-Trade it for 3, then put it back into the deck with Oranguru. And when you use Ultra Space, you shuffle the deck afterwards, meaning the stuff you shuffled in could be drawn as opposed to forever being at the bottom. Crushing Hammer and Lusamine don't rotate due to them being Secret Rares in Ultra Prism. That said, I think the deck DIES to Naganadel / Quagsire and anything that can get Energy back VIA Naganadel because there's not a whole lot of disruption beyone Crushing Hammer, Mars, Jessie & James; and there's not much in terms of stranding options because Guzma is out of the format. Custom Catcher is seriously the most viable option.

- Naganadel / Quagsire will be the most viable 1-Prize deck. This is especially helpful because it combats the Fire decks that will be rampant as Blacephalon-GX doesn't lose much and I don't think the Charizard & Reshiram-GX decks lose much either.

- Because UBs will be good, things like Unbroken Bonds Marshadow and the new Tapu Fini in Unified Minds must be considered as techs.

- I think the format will START as very Item dependent, menaing something like a solid Gengar & Mimikyu-GX / Omastar deck could be massive. It doesn't lose much to rotation, but it does have some serious consistency issues due to its weird design.

DM_nightshade

Aspiring Trainer
do we have all the card confirmed form japan for the next release? if not... It's hard to tell exactly what will be the meta and good decks out there. For now I think fire deck as blacephalon (baby) , Quaqusire variant , Malamar Variant and control deck will be the most played deck.... the new expention will bring lot of feature for TagTeam Gx cards so every TagTeam out there will be differently Playable too.

NaganadelIsBeast

Pun Intended
I think after the rotation the format will be pretty slow, because of lack of search and switching your opponent’s active.

Sceptile CES could become playable, because it prevents damage from UBs.

As Merovingian said, trainer punishment could be big after the rotation.

JumpluffTCG

Aspiring Trainer
Just play PikaRom. Electromagnetic Radar is basically Ultra Ball on steroids, and you can search out Dedenne GX with it which is something no other deck can really do because Ultra Ball is gone. It's very easy to build a "turbo" PikaRom list using a couple of Dedenne GX and some Acro Bikes, and it's probably significantly faster, more consistent, and more powerful than everything else at a glance.

NaganadelIsBeast

Pun Intended
There are going to countees for PikaRom. Cards line Blacephalon will OHKO it, and ReshiZard can get a KO on T2 with Choice Band.

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Of course, we all say it’s slow, but that’s also what we said about when VS Seeker and Shaymin EX rotated, and the speed wasn’t that drastically changed.
It’ll be tough.
Stage 2 decks die because we lose Beacon Vulpix and Timer Ball.

alakazam1228

Aspiring Trainer
Of course, we all say it’s slow, but that’s also what we said about when VS Seeker and Shaymin EX rotated, and the speed wasn’t that drastically changed.
It’ll be tough.
Stage 2 decks die because we lose Beacon Vulpix and Timer Ball.
I mean not every stage two deck. We get Rowlet and Alolan Exeggutor TTGX in Unified Minds, and they can get a free grass stage two turn one so that seems pretty strong, but I def get what you mean.

AcePlayz

Just call me, the Pokemon Master!
With many meta-changing cards like Tapu Lele-GX, Ultra Ball, Guzma, Nest Ball, Zoroark-GX, etc. leaving the Standard Format once rotation begins, what decks do you guys think will be good, and what alternatives do you guys think will be used in decks to compensate for the loss of great consistency tools that were so prominent in many decks?
I have created a decklist for a Post Rotation Reshiram and Charizard TTGX Deck, over in the deck garage

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
Keldeo GX will be good with nag/quag and fini (for a 1 prizer).
Also, decks that can use elm effectively will not be hurt as much because elm+p. comm is an ok search. Or just p. comm.
That's what I'm going to use in my mally.
A high count of elm and p. comm with treasure and a heavy count of viridian to discard those energies.
Because gust effects will be limited, the malamars (and inkays) I get out will stay out so I don't really need to get 3 inkay down turn 1 to guarantee 2 mally turn 2.
Also, don't forget about jirachi.
Jirachi start, with an elm for 3 inkay, then p. comm in 1 for an attacker, attach to attacker
That'll be my ideal start

jo94

Gen 3 lover
I'll play blacephalon gx, otherwise i'll go with naganadel/turtonator. Mysterious treasure + ultraspace and tou get everything you need. Salazzle as draw engine.

rewster1

Aspiring Trainer
Omastar may be big, not only with G&M TTGX but also combined with either paralysis or "can't retreat" attacks. Which means tate and liza may see a resurgence (or a surgence, really, since it hasn't been that great so far). It would be the only way to get a trapped pokemon out in that situation. Sightseer will be better in the absence of ultra ball, to thin while holding onto combo pieces. I'm thinking the fire support cards may just become a package that lots of decks play, even if they don't have fire attackers (2 fire energy is just as good as a DCE, so welder works for more than just fire decks).

Fafnirchaos

Aspiring Trainer
I'm looking forward to post rotation, nerf some of these OP decks. A change of pace needs to come, especially with 85% of the games I play are against pikarom... and let's face it if you can't make a pikarom deck you shouldn't be playing, it's basic's on steroids.