Help Decks for post-rotation

payton

Aspiring Trainer
So I am not going for points this year so next year im planning on trying to go to worlds so I am seeing what decks might be good after rotation assuming they rotate 3 sets including shining legends which means we lose tapu lele gx, lycanroc gx, choice band, field blower, marshadow gx, zoroark gx, ans marshadow just to name a few game-changing cards, plus these cards if their not in upcoming sets. Nest ball, guzma, rescue stretcher,and acerola. so if you have a good deck (tier 1, or 2) post rotation post it and ill give feedback is maybe test it.

Last edited:

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
It's rather early to guess what's going to be good post-rotation, when we haven't seen what's good post-Unbroken Bonds not to mention what's even in the August set.

It's pretty obvious that PikaRom and probably Zapdos will still be good, odds are some of the new Fire decks will be good; neither are losing anything absolutely vital, though Zapdos will be hurting some with a reduction in switching options (and particularly Guzma) as well as losing Tapu Koko GX as a PikaRom counter.

The bigger question is going to be what happens when Zoroark goes - what decks were kept in check by the persistence of Zoroark decks that will be more feasible now. Certainly, it seems likely PikaRom will be helped (with the decrease in fighting decks), but there's a lot more out there that's a big question still.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I thought that Guzma was being reprinted with new art in unbroken bonds? Did i see that incorrectly?

Guzma was reprinted in Night Unison (SM9a) in Japan, but it's common for trainers to be reprinted in Japanese sets without them regaining eligibility. Look at the card's image (on this page towards the bottom); it has an "A" next to the number.

It's currently hypothesized (to the point that it's very likely, but not officially announced yet) that those letters denote rotations - "A" will rotate out this year, leaving "B" and "C" for the 2019-2020 season. That allows for worldwide eligibility for cards, without removing the additional reprints they like to do in Japan.

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
Naganadel/Quagsire is looking really hype right now due to the new tools it’s getting. Kyurem from Unbroken Bonds, fighting-type Quagsire, and so on. Keldeo-GX, while it’s still a way away, is also great for the deck.

Blacephalon-GX doesn’t look like it’s going to die any time soon, since it still has what it needs and gets extra tools in Welder, Volcanion and baby Blacephalon.

Zygarde-GX gets more help too with the new baby Zygarde coming out, but I’m unsure if that’s in this set or next.

Most of the Tag Teams and even normal GXs coming out look good as well, but we’ll have to wait and see where they fall in relation to each other.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
If ultra ball isnt reprinted malamar will likely be one of the few decks that retains the consistency it has now zapdos for instance would be crap without its 2 main ball searches

payton

Aspiring Trainer
So now that the official rotation has been posted what are some deck ideas that you all have including unbroken bonds and if you need to night unison

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
We still don’t the contents of the August set, Unified Minds. Hard to make any predictions about decks with out know what all the cards we’ll have

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Yeah but people will have to make deck with that rotation for worlds

The meta is more important than the contents of the set, honestly, and that won't be clear until all of the legal sets are out in Japan. (Really, worlds meta won't be clear until after *worlds*, which is why I find myself very confused by having rotation pre-Worlds, but maybe they got tired of printing Zoroark in World Championship decks?

Either way, there's a lot of unknowns, which won't be resolved until July for the most part. I don't think anyone thinks PikaZek is going away, and certainly some sort of Fire based deck will be popular (whether it be Reshizard or Blacephalon baby or GX or something else). But so much more is unknown, especially how *quick* these decks can be post-rotation - with ultra ball, nest ball, etc., all going away.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
We have to know all of unified minds not just for new cards but to see if they reprint any cards. You cant start to analyze and theory craft decks for post rotation when your not sure if you need to be building without cards like DCE and ultra ball or not. Other than that if mewtwo&mew is some busted card you wouldnt want to spend all your time working on a lucario deck or anything else psychic weak

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Unified Minds will absolutely be legal for worlds (3rd friday of the month)... I'm fairly sure that's by design (i.e., they intentionally schedule Worlds to be the first day of the set's eligibility), just like they schedule a fair number of regionals on the 3rd or 4th friday right after a set comes out.

KK-Swizzle

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Malamar and beast box with new Naganadel gx come to mind as really good options in a meta with less ball search because they are very compatible with ultra space and mysterious treasure which we are keeping

NaganadelIsBeast

Pun Intended
Unless I’m missing something, I think custom catcher is it. I could see Zapdos slowly going out of the meta because of this. Really hoping we get reprints of Guzma, Escape Rope, I’d even opt for a Repel reprint if that what it comes to.

Alex Leblanc

Aspiring Trainer
Well, now we know that there are new gusting options (Great Catcher, and Ball Search (Cherish Ball). Zapdos will fall apart as we lose all non-GX Pokemon search aside from Mysterious Treasure and the loss of Guzma. Most non-GX decks will struggle.

The Pokemon with specific search post rotation will be Psychic and Dragon types, Lightning GXs, Basic Grass, Pokemon with 60hp or less, and GXs in general. There is also Pokemon Communication which can snag any Pokemon from the deck, assuming you have a Pokemon in your hand.

As for recovery cards we have Lure Ball and Brock's Grit
Choice Helmet will potentially be our go to Pokemon tool.

Gusting will vary among decks but either Custom Catcher or Great Catcher

I imagine Blacephalon GX, Pikarom, and Ultra Malamar will be the best deck options for the next format. I also believe those are the 3 decks that will perform best at World's this year. A dark type box with WEavile GX and Naganadel may also perform well seeing the versatility and the power of Dark Pokemon and Weavile GX.
Reshiram & Charizard will struggle slightly due to the rotation of certain cards like Kiawe and Nest Ball.

Draw support remains strong as we keep Cynthia, Lillie, Tate & Liza, Ingo & Emmet, Zebstrika, Dedenne GX, Salazzle, and we get the new Naganadel GX in Unified Minds
Feel free to note whatever cards I missed in these categories

Last edited: