2020 Standard Format Announced, Goes Into Effect Before Worlds!

Raigetsu

Lightning Trainer
Why? When a majority of the cards are subject to rotate before Worlds, which means decks will adapt to Ultra Prism on...these sets will start to lose their value once Internationals are drawing to a close, and we know more about our August set.

hoard for when a generation or so has passed. My fiance and I have a tendency to keep packs out of rotation sealed.

Hemos

The demonic Shadow Lugia/Mystical Raven Witch
Does the Tapu Lele GX Tropical Islands box set not count as a reprint? I remember it being in those with a different art but am not sure if it is separate or not.
That one is counted as an alternate art reprint - it's not a BSP, as it has the Guardians Rising set symbol, so it'll be out of use come the rotation.

octotot

Aspiring Trainer
I've Created a list of most of the relevant things we lose from rotation. Let me know if I missed anything
  • Decidueye-GX
  • Vikavolt
  • Solgaleo¬-GX
  • Eevee
  • Oranguru
  • Great Ball
  • Prof Kukui
  • Skull Grunt
  • DCE
  • Timer Ball
  • Ultra Ball
  • Nest Ball
  • Alolan Tales (GRI)
  • Koko GX
  • Lele GX
  • Roc GX (GRI)
  • SudoWoodo
  • Honchkrow
  • Metagross GX
  • Sylveon GX
  • Every trainer from GRI other than Hala and Altar of the Sunne
  • Plume
  • Goli GX
  • Ho-Oh GX
  • Alolan Tales (Water, BUS)
  • Necrozma GX
  • Marshadow GX
  • Weavile
  • Garde GX
  • Acerola
  • BB Dumbbells
  • Rope
  • Guzma
  • Kiawe
  • Mount Lanakila
  • Plumeria
  • Sophocles
  • Weakness Policy
  • Wishful Baton
  • Shining Volc
  • Shining Genesect
  • Marshadow
  • Zoroark GX
  • Hoopa
  • Energy Retrieval
  • Magikarp
  • Buzz GX
  • Miltank (Saw play in Japanese ChariRam)
  • Counter Catcher
  • Gladion
  • Alolan Vulpix (GRI)
  • Garbodor
  • Devoured Field
  • Koko Promo
  • Psychic Lele
  • Counter Energy
  • Dhelmise
  • Alolan Muk
Solgaleo GX will still be legal because of the gold print in Ultra Prism. Long live the king!

theprp30

Aspiring Trainer
Bye bye Zoroark GX, you were a pathetic way to play while you were around and you will not be missed :))

Trent Piland

Aspiring Trainer
Should DCE not get a reprint then we are in dire need of special energy recovery. It will be quite disappointing to not see it reprinted right away.

With the PokeGear 3.0 I could see Lele not getting a viable replacement for a while..

We are also going to need a replacement in some capacity for Ultra Ball and Nest Ball.. I wouldn't mind seeing more type specific search like Mysterious Treasure.. ie Fire or Water, Lightning or Metal, Dark or Fairy, Fighting or Grass for Ultra Ball... Or even Net Ball equivalents for other typings. For now 4 Poke Comm will be a staple.

Another major reprint need is Guzma or a Gusting effect. Losing not only Guzma but Lycanroc-GX is rough. I suppose Fire may be alright with the TEU Ninetales, but there isn't many others available. EDIT: we do have custom catcher still I suppose.

Others such as Eevee, Nest Ball, Acerola, Escape Rope, Field Blower hurt as well.

On the up side we are keeping our staple draw supporters: Cynthia, Lillie, Erika's, Judge,
Secondary: Copycat, Tate & Liza, Blaine's Last Stand (Fire), Sightseer, and Ingo & Emmet

Last edited:

GameOwl

I play Pokemon. Can you tell?
I guess this means one-hit decks like Blachephalon and Ultra Necrozma will be the best option for Worlds. Two-hit decks won’t be very efficient any more without Guzma. I have only played Pokémon for a year and a half, and Lele was always there. This is going to be a weird Worlds.

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
I have lived long enough to see DCE enter the game, leave it, enter it again, and leave it again.

Refrigerated Elements

Aspiring Trainer
Worlds is going to be nuts with a entirely new format with both a new format and a new set. The sets included in the new format are not surprising at all. However rip my main deck since its just flat out going to be gone.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Expanded.
Lose weight, and just say goodbye to Black and White. Please.
This is all I wanted and I didn't get it.

But then again, my reasoning for it isn't because I care about the meta, it's because Computer Search is one of the last cards I need in BCR and the price is WAY too high for something with barely any collectible appeal. The good Ace Specs in general are mega bloated in price because of the game I think.

bunnybird12

Aspiring Trainer
Wow! This is surprising. I'm excited for a new format. Worlds will be very interesting to watch as it will all be new or at least partially different decks.

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
Do we have an accurate list of what's being lost? Asking for a friend.

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
No way does Ultra Ball and DCE rotate. UB can be replaced sure but DCE? You just killed so many decks or force them to run Malamar.

AcePlayz

Just call me, the Pokemon Master!
Do we have an accurate list of what's being lost? Asking for a friend.
Would you like me to make a list of everything, we will be losing? It would be the cards that have seen play. So for example Oranguru and Vikavolt, not caterpie, oranguru and vikavolt