'Unbroken Bonds,' May's English SM10 Set!

Kent Freeze

Aspiring Trainer
That weezing will be a very interesting and useful addition to a spread damage deck. Given the format is pretty basic heavy right now......I like it.

Duke Erebus

Aspiring Trainer
That Clefable seems like it could be a solid contender in Expanded, particularly. If you have 6 Pokemon with a Fairy energy attached, you can deal 190 damage (before other modifiers) for a single energy on a single-prize attacker. Combine this with Geomancy Xerneas and Sky Field, and you can easily have up to 9 Pokemon with Fairy energy attached for base 280 damage. It might be more difficult to get all those energy out in actual practice, but it still seems worth trying.

Kent Freeze

Aspiring Trainer
Rules question:

If I have the regular Persian in play (with the ability that makes Pokemon with cat day not need energy cost) + shining celebi in play can the evolved forms that have the cat day attack not need energy to do their attacks?

Would make for a very interesting incineroar deck.....

Kent Freeze

Aspiring Trainer
Rules question:

If I have the regular Persian in play (with the ability that makes Pokemon with cat day not need energy cost) + shining celebi in play can the evolved forms that have the cat day attack not need energy to do their attacks?

Would make for a very interesting incineroar deck....

After thinking this through, this can't work -- the shining celebi just says "can use the attacks of previous evolutions" which I think is different from having the attack.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
The wording is necessary especially in regards to saying it works on the turn you play down the pokemon otherwise this item would only work on the players first turn. Ambiguous wording is much worse because it causes judges like me to have to spell it out to everybody. But if someone asked me what this card did I would tell them they need to read more carefully.

Neither is necessary to mention. Trainers, attacks, abilities, etc. that evolve Pokemon bypass the normal evolution rules. Mentioning it is completely redundant, and can make people assume cards like Ultra Prism Gible that DON'T say that don't work that way.

At the very, VERY least, redundant reminder text like this should be parenthesized to indicate it doesn't change how the card functions, but most card games wouldn't include such information. (Or would include it in every single instance, which Pokemon also doesn't do.)

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
After thinking this through, this can't work -- the shining celebi just says "can use the attacks of previous evolutions" which I think is different from having the attack.

Aside from Pokemon BREAK and Pokemon LV.X, there is no way a Pokemon can "have" an attack that isn't directly printed on the card.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Neither is necessary to mention. Trainers, attacks, abilities, etc. that evolve Pokemon bypass the normal evolution rules. Mentioning it is completely redundant, and can make people assume cards like Ultra Prism Gible that DON'T say that don't work that way.

At the very, VERY least, redundant reminder text like this should be parenthesized to indicate it doesn't change how the card functions, but most card games wouldn't include such information. (Or would include it in every single instance, which Pokemon also doesn't do.)
Umm evosoda evolves the pokemon but adheres to normal evolution rules, Wally does not the distinction is necessary otherwise dusk stone would just look like a very specific evosoda. And an attack that evolves a pokemon is done in between turns so really it does follow the rules and if it didnt it would say so

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
Ah, I forgot that Magnezone/Zeraora is a thing, especially with Electropower nowadays.
Blastoise GX is underwhelming. A 60x as the modifier is super good, but the deck isn’t the most accessible place to have to pull Energy from again.
Whimsicott GX, while being a big meme, also has a really good GX attack. Beware!
How ironic that the Dusk Stone is going to be giving me nightmares.
Martial Arts Dojo? Eh, Fighting Dojo was better. I LOVE that Buzzwole can’t use this. That’s the best clause I’ve ever seen on any card ever.
Welder is going to be making an influence in the Blacephalon and other Fire decks meta for sure. If this card was for another type, say Fighting, I wouldn’t have stopped ranting by now.
Ah, TCE brings Evolution Pokémon back onto the scene! Silvally GX will surely be pumped up. Lickilicky can now meme for a single attachment. Awrodactyl can subvert the regular GX meta for a single attachment. Even Gardevoir GX can utilize this for an extra 90 damage! That’s a lot. So can baby Gardy from who knows what set can end up attacking for a single energy.
TCE is by far one of the most exciting cards in a while.
Blastoise-GX + Baby Blastoise is a thing, isn’t it?

kusa

Aspiring Trainer
I summon Whimsicott GX attach an energy and use TOY BOX GX to search the five piezes of EXODIA the forbidden one! now EXODIA Obliterate!

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
Umm evosoda evolves the pokemon but adheres to normal evolution rules, Wally does not the distinction is necessary otherwise dusk stone would just look like a very specific evosoda. And an attack that evolves a pokemon is done in between turns so really it does follow the rules and if it didnt it would say so

Evosoda and Rare Candy are worded that way specifically because they would otherwise be able to evolve a Pokemon the turn it came into play. (Heck, Rare Candy used to be able to do just that, and was errata'd.) I didn't even realize Wally shared Dusk Stone's wording, but that also doesn't actually affect how IT works, either. It's pretty common knowledge that effects like Eevee's Energy Evolution ability bypass the normal rules, and there are many, many rulings to that effect. Most of these effects do not mention the fact they can be used the turn the Pokemon came into play, even though they can be, because that's a basic gameplay rule.

Attacks are done during a turn. (Which is pretty obvious, since that would otherwise make cards like Diantha near-unusable.)

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
Clafairy with the move Bitch Slap, again. Gotta love that brand association.

Last edited:

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
This is as good a time as any to say:
kanto.png

Poor Lt. Surge

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
E4 + Champion Representation in the TCG:
-Kanto: 2/5 (missing Blue, Agatha and Queen Lorelei... a nightmare truly a nightmare)
-Johto: 5/5
-Hoenn: 6/6
-Sinnoh: 5/5
-Unova: 3/6 (Caitlin, Grimsley and Iris)
-Kalos: 1/5 (Diantha)
-Alola: 5/5

Ashblaze

Full Art Supporter Hunter
This is as good a time as any to say:
kanto.png

Poor Lt. Surge

This hurts me SOO MUCH, when it was revealed to not get one I flipped out, this pains both me and my binder so much 。゚(゚´Д`゚)゚。 , 。・゜・(ノД`)・゜・。

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
I seriously hope Surge gets banned at some point - Especially in expanded. Its effect is just too broken for a supporter to have. v_v