• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Budget Decks for New Players

K_la

Aspiring Trainer
I am a high school teacher and have started a Pokemon club that has become popular with the students. Being an inner city school most of the students can't afford the cards, and I have provided 5 decks for the school. Many of the kids want to play in our local league but lack their own personal deck. I've been donating my cards to them, but am looking for new creative budget deck idea's so I can build them something that is fun to play, teaches them the mechanics, and will hopefully allow them a win or two in league play.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can handle parting with 2-3 GX's per deck. I can't afford to donate the more expensive cards (Cynthia, Guzma, Jirachi, Blacephalon, Shrine of Punishment etc.)

I'd love to see some decks that others have had success with, are inexpensive, and fun. My goal is to have a variety of types as well. Thanks for the help :)

You could use proxy cards. They are a paper print out of card that you can put on top of any real card (To keep the same strength) If you want a cheap playable deck I would play Gengar Omastar. I know play 4 Gengar & Mimikyu GX but they are only around $4 each (American) The deck will be much better when the next set comes out. You could probably find a youtube video about it.

I think that's awesome that you are doing that, and proxy cards could be a good idea (lets you turn those old bulk cards into cynthias and guzmas for the kids, etc), though if they are going to official tournaments that won't work. Also if there is a league nearby, you might have some networking opportunities there to trade into some decent budget cards, not to mention find out what the league meta is... if everyone is playing a couple of decks, we could crowd source the best budget counters to those decks. Like passimian hits weakness on pikarom, v-beatdown victini kos celesaur with a choice band, etc. If it's zapdos jirachi, ugh. Although I do play a-eggs a lot online with dumbbells, and making them three shot me is fun, if I can survive the setup turn.

Check out pokegoldfish.com , it has a lot of articles on ultra low budget decks (<30$) built around less popular Pokemon. They are a bit inconsistent, but that shouldn't be a problem against other equally cheap decks. You might have a lot of the cards you need for them in your leftover bulk.
Lost March, Rainbow Alolan Eggs, Venusaur Heracross and Tool Drop Doublade can also be made for about 40$ if you skip Cynthia, Guzma and a couple of other expensive supporters.

Back