Ruling Alolan Muk with Weavile

Kajishu

Aspiring Trainer
When Power of Alchemy is in effect and white off basics abilities does weaviles's evil Admonition get the damage boost from the abilities that muk shuts off? I think I know the answer but thought I would ask you fine folks. Thanks!

Otaku

The wise fool?
Ability: Power of Alchemy
Each Basic Pokémon in play, in each player’s hand, and in each player’s discard pile has no Abilities.

The underlined words are key. It doesn't just say those Abilities stop working, it says the card is treated as if it had no Abilities.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
When Power of Alchemy is in effect and white off basics abilities does weaviles's evil Admonition get the damage boost from the abilities that muk shuts off? I think I know the answer but thought I would ask you fine folks. Thanks!
Weavile's Evil Admonition attack is based upon the number of opponent's Pokémon in play that with an Ability, not whether if those Abilities are currently active. So, your Weavile will get the damage boost from all opponent's Pokémon in play with an Ability.

Braiden1235

Aspiring Trainer
Weavile's Evil Admonition attack is based upon the number of opponent's Pokémon in play that with an Ability, not whether if those Abilities are currently active. So, your Weavile will get the damage boost from all opponent's Pokémon in play with an Ability.
This is not the correct ruling
Ability: Power of Alchemy
Each Basic Pokémon in play, in each player’s hand, and in each player’s discard pile has no Abilities.

The underlined words are key. It doesn't just say those Abilities stop working, it says the card is treated as if it had no Abilities.
This is the correct ruling because it states that the it now has no ability not that they are just shut off.

Otaku

The wise fool?

As @Braiden1235 and I have pointed out, Alolan Muk expressly states that Abilities aren't just "turned off", it is as if the Abilities weren't printed on the cards in the first place.

Here is a related ruling, featuring the iconic Ability-denier and a the other Ability-punishing Weavile:

Rule of Evil (Weavile - Burning Shadows)

Q. Weavile's "Rule of Evil" attack does damage to each Pokemon that has an Ability. But if Garbodor's "Garbotoxin" Ability is activated would "Rule of Evil" only damage Garbodor?
A. That's right, because Garbotoxin says each Pokemon (except those with Garbotoxin) have no Abilities. (Sep 14, 2017 TPCi Rules Team)​

Last edited:

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
This is not the correct ruling

This is the correct ruling because it states that the it now has no ability not that they are just shut off.
Thank you for the update. Unfortunately, I did not read all involved cards sufficiently. Apologies OP.