• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Water/Fire deck

LojoDaGreat

Aspiring Trainer
Need help to improve this deck
4 White Kyurem
2 Articuno GX
2 Lapras GX
Volcanion PS
3 Mareanie
2 Toxapex
entei GX
2Entei
3Salandit
2 SalazzleGX
2 Kiwae
3 Hau
3 Prof Kuku
2 Nest Ball
2 Timer Bal
1 Ultra Ball
2 Energy Retrive
4 Aqua Patch
9 water
8 fire

Last edited:

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Following are a few comments for your consideration:
  • First and foremost, you still have not submitted a complete, 60-card deck list... Also, why did you not list any energy and their respective counts?
  • Secondly, what is your deck strategy? For example, are you planning to primarily use White Kyurem as your primary attacker?
  • How do you plan to utilize Articuno GX, Lapras GX, Toxapex etc. This is important information, because my initial thoughts (given the 4 White Kyurem) would be incorporating a Pokémon that would accelerate energy-attachment onto your attackers... In this case, the TEU Blastoise could facilitate energy attachment acceleration, BUT at the cost of replacing a number of cards you've listed.
Thoughts?

LojoDaGreat

Aspiring Trainer
Following are a few comments for your consideration:
  • First and foremost, you still have not submitted a complete, 60-card deck list... Also, why did you not list any energy and their respective counts?
  • Secondly, what is your deck strategy? For example, are you planning to primarily use White Kyurem as your primary attacker?
  • How do you plan to utilize Articuno GX, Lapras GX, Toxapex etc. This is important information, because my initial thoughts (given the 4 White Kyurem) would be incorporating a Pokémon that would accelerate energy-attachment onto your attackers... In this case, the TEU Blastoise could facilitate energy attachment acceleration, BUT at the cost of replacing a number of cards you've listed.
Thoughts?
I want to use Kyurem as my primary attacker. I want to use my Toxapex as a poison setter that will add counters between turns. I have decided on the rest of the strategy

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
I want to use Kyurem as my primary attacker. I want to use my Toxapex as a poison setter that will add counters between turns. I have decided on the rest of the strategy
Decks built for streamline efficiency (the ones winning Worlds usually carry a single main attacker (which you’ve selected), a “bench sitter” (draw support Pokémon or things like Lycanroc from Guardians Rising), and MAYBE a backup attacked (usually only worth 1 Prize)
This deck (as the list you’ve built anyway) is not built for such speed and efficiency, for a few chief reasons.
1. The first is a rule I like to call the second rule of Pokémon: never trust theme decks. You, with around 22 Pokémon that frankly have nothing to do with each other, and a whopping 17 Basic Energy look like you’re one of the Pokémon TCG designers in charge of theme decks (except you have GXs, good for you). No offense.
2. Your lack of draw supporters (full list below) is quite disturbing and will end up with you taking a while to get much done in-game.
Hau (unused)
Illima (even less used)
Lillie (one of the top draw supporters around, play as many as you can.)
Professor Kukui (play 1 or 2 just for the damage boost.)
Hala (good in some situations, but not in this one)
Sopocles (good. Play 1-3 if you can’t find anything else.)
Wicke (strange, and okay. If you cant find anything else, this is acceptable.)
Cynthia (pricey, but totally worth it. Play 4 if you can.)
Looker (it’s the same as Hau.)
Crasher Wake (not a draw supporter, but pretty good anyway. play 1 if you feel like it)
Copycat (actually pretty good, I’d say the 4th best draw supporter. Play 2)
Tate and Liza (okay. Tied with Copycat in every way)
Blaine’s Last Stand (not that good. PLay 1 at most)
Sightseer (pretty good, I guess.)
Whitney (eh, it’s okay. Only play if you can find 4.)
Erika’s Hospitality (really good. 3rd best draw supporter, play 2.)

Top 5:
1- Cynthia
2- Lillie
3- Erika’s Hospitality
4- Copycat
5- Tate and Liza

If you can see what draw supporters you can scrounge up, I’ll build a little deck skeleton for you.
3. Pokémon Search (namely, Ball cards) are also abyssaly low.
4. Energy acceleration is nonexistent.

Here would be my changes:
-2 Articuno GX (unnecessary)
-2 Laura’s GX (unnecessary)
-1 Mareanie
-1 Entei GX (unnecessary)
-2 Entei (unnecessary)
-3 Salandit
-2 Salazzle GX
-2 Energy Retrieval
-4 Fire Energy
-2 Water Energy
-2 Timer Ball
-1 Professor Kukui
-2 Kiawe
-3 Hau, but only if you can find 3 draw supporters on the top 5 list
Total: -26/29

That should clear up unnecessary clutter. It’s just gonna clog the deck, trust me.
+6 draw supporters (any, see the top 5 in list above)
+4 in any combination of Judge Whistle and Acro Bike, or +4 of each if you can (that’d go in the place where it says +4 any trainer)
+1 Slugma
+1 Magcargo (bench sitter, not attacker.)
+3 Ultra Ball
+2 Nest Ball
+2 Pheromosa (for Arceus <>)
+1 Arceus <> (energy acceleration)
+2 Tapu Koko/Basic Lightning type of choice (for Arceus <>)
+4 any other Trainer cards you want
Total: +26

The strategy with this archetype is to get Pheromosa, Tapu Koko, and White Kyurem up ASAP on the bench while Arceus Prism Star sits in the active. As soon as the 3 Benched Pokémon in question are there, attach an Energy to Arceus, and use Trinity Star. Search for [W][W][R] and attach it to White Kyurem. Now, you have one Pokémon up and running in as little as a single turn. If you can get multiple White Kyurem on the bench while Aceus is Active, you can charge up that one, too. Now, you should be hitting 160 damage a turn, more with Toxapex’s Ability. Pheromosa and Tapu Koko offer both A. Spread Damage to soften up Pokémon with more than 160 HP (Koko only) and B. Free retreat.
That’s my little spiel. That’s what I’d do to run a “newer” player into a more competitive scene.
See ya!

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
@Lord Goomy made some good points, especially the ones that pertain to streamlining and focusing your deck. With so many Pokémon in your original list, you've "cluttered" your deck to such a degree that it is not functionally "efficient" (i.e., well balanced mix of Pokémon (that have synergy), Trainers and energy), at all, in my opinion.

So, with White Kyurem being your stated main attacker, what other Pokémon could you use to compliment this attacker? You have a variety of choices; some you've listed. Other considerations you may want to review would be:

• Free-retreating Pokémon (e.g., Tapu Koko (Flying Flip)
  • "Strong" Colorless Pokémon (e.g., Tauros GX) that can use any kind (in most cases) of energy
  • Pokémon that would be potentially good "starters" (e.g., Lapras GX and/or Reshiram) and can take "hits" while you build up your benched Pokémon
  • Pokémon (e.g., GRI Salazzle) and that can abuse opponent's active Pokémon with its Ability
  • What deck type(s) (i.e., the "meta") are popular in your area? Do you want to incorporate counter Pokémon for these decks?
  • "Techs" - specialized Pokémon that serve a single purpose (e.g., Weavile (Rule of Evil, which inflicts 60 damage onto ALL Pokémon in play that has an Ability)
Also, one of the challenges of this deck is getting the necessary energy into play "fast" and onto the "right" Pokémon. A tactic I used was incorporating Wishful Baton and/or Energy Switch into my deck version. These 2 trainers provide additional flexibility.

Since you're running 2 types of Basic energy, 1-2 Energy Retrieval may also be helpful.

Most of my suggested deck deletions overlap with those suggested by Lord Goomy; so, following is just a suggested "final" draft:

2 Reshiram - its Outrage attack can deter opponents from attacking it
2 Tapu Koko - free retreater and can also spread damage
2 Turtonator GX - has 3 solid attacks
1 Volcanion PS
4 White Kyurem

Other Pokémon of interest include: Lapras GX and Tauros GX.

3 Aqua Patch
4 Cynthia
2 Energy Recycle System
2 Field Blower
3 Guzma
3 Lillie
1 Pal Pad
1 Rescue Stretcher
3 Sophocles - facilitates getting energy into discard pile
3 Stadiums (Heat Factory, Shrine of Punishment and/or Viridian Forest)
2 Tate & Liza
4 Ultra Ball
3 Wishful Baton

3 DC
4 Fire
8 Water

No doubt, this list reflects "my" style; but, I hope you find it to be a good starting point for you knowing that you can tweak it after testing. Also, if you have any questions, please ask, Enjoy.

I hope you find these comments helpful.