Help League play, how to start kids off?

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I've started a new league at my LGS, and have basically entirely 5-8 year olds right now (quite a few of them). I'm the only competitive player there (other than my 7 year old!) and most of the kids are barely at beginner stage, other than my kids none had played a match before they joined other than a few pre-releases.

So far I've been having them play various theme decks, and a few decks I constructed to hopefully be theme-deck level but slightly more consistent, although one or two of them prefer to play (badly) constructed decks.

Theme decks however are madly inconsistent - I try to have them play the more consistent ones, but they still can't really win except by accident for the most part.

What's the best way to help them have more fun and get a bit of experience? Should I encourage them construct their own decks, give them some basic deck trainer kits (I have a million Hau etc. trainers I'll never use, while I can't give up Guzmas or Cynthias, there are plenty of trainers that are easily given and make a passable deck), or keep up with the theme decks (especially, have them keep playing the same one, or play different ones?)

I do hope to have league challenges starting in the summer, but I'm for the most part not worried about highly competitive seven year olds - more about kids having fun and learning how to play better, and having a shot to win any game they're in with other similar level kids.

In particular, anyone who's successfully helped kids this age without too much in the way of adult support would be much appreciated. I do have a few parents who hang out, but none of them have any past experience; it'll take months before any of them are useful for training, for the most part.

(If this belongs in another forum, please move it - I was torn between the main forum and the Competitive Play forum, but it is technically Play Pokemon...)

Thanks!

AlphaVoxel

Definitely still in development...
Forum Mod
Hey!

Yeah... the parents aren't exactly helpful, but when they are, they tend to be a bit too helpful... Anyway, when dealing with younger or newer players, I've found that the best route is to start with theme decks, then eventually help them learn enough to build their own deck using their own cards. This does take a bit of time, and I still have a few kids who try to play "school rules" (and are immediately shut down by myself or the store employee that helps me run things), but it does work.

Here is what I would suggest:
1. Continue with what you have been doing. Teach them the game using Theme decks, as this will help them get a general feel for how the game works, as well as introduce a few basic mechanics (Damage, Weakness/Resistance, etc.).
2. After you feel they sufficiently understand the game, it might be a good idea to throw together some basic decks, maybe a step or two up from Theme Decks, with less Pokemon/Energy, and more Trainers. This kind of helps them get used to the idea that Trainers are super helpful.
3. After you feel like they know enough to be able to build their own deck, encourage them to do so. I love seeing the looks on kids' faces when they finish their first deck.

This is probably some of the best advice I can offer for now, but for the most part, it works. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks,
-Alpha

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
I've been running a League for almost a year now. I have two decks that I use that, between the two, use about 90% of the current game mechanics that they could possibly see. This is because, as was said earlier, most Theme Decks are dumpster fires that burn hotter than the sun.

That and I've seen kids come in with 18 booster pack-palooza and expect a deck to be made from it. Or they use Evolved Pokemon only and zero basics. Or no Energy.

Always have a "bowling alley shoe rental" deck handy. And the deck I use isn't meant to win, but have fun and make them do goofy stuff (Misty's Duel, Team Galactic's Wager, Blaine's Quiz #2, etc). I'm in the middle of revamping muy build for newer players, I can post if if you'd like.

Couple of cards to point out:

- Hoppip (EX Team Rocket Returns) is perfect for learning as it can be difficult to KO as well as open the entire Special Condition library.

- Lucky Stadium/Battle City - Both Stadiums do the same thing. From experience, newer players are kids constantly disregard Stadiums. Lucky stadium/Battle City forces them, or allows you, to remember that they get a beneficial effect every turn. I like this over most "passive effect" Stadiums because after they end their turn you can go, "you could have used Lucky stadium." They learn, but it takes a bit.

- I use a Flying Pikachu deck with GRI Victini and Electrode-GX. Electrode-GX isn't a very domineering GX when it comes out, but it also has an ability that brings the conversation of cost/benefit analysis about. YEs, you lose two prizes, but you set yourself up and don't have to worry for the rest of the game.

- Sophocles is a better Supporter to utilize than Professor Sycamore/Juniper. NEw players don't want to lose ANY cards, but Sophocles is a bit "gentler" and allows more of the strategic thinking of "what cards in our hand are helping now/what can we hold onto"

- Kids and new players LOVE Hypnotoxic Laser. Also opens door to Special Conditions.

- New players and kids who watch a ton of the anime don't care too much if the deck is themed. I originally had a Pikachu deck and a Team Rocket themed deck. Didn't go over as well as I'd have liked, so if you do build something, have it be cohesive and easy to understand (no Propogate Exeggcute) and it'll go over better than a custom themed deck.

Let me know if you have any questions