Contest Image-Based Create-a-Card Faking Tournament (Final Results Are Up!)

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
Congratulations to all those who have made it to the semi-finals, and commemorations go to those who were eliminated. I can't wait to see what the next theme will be in this tournament.

Gabs Kazumi

Amateur Illustrator @kazumi.draws
I don't understand the -2 points in the third part of the Wording (since it's an attack and the opponent's Pokémon is defending it), but okay.

Also, my art style is very different from the ones used in the GX cards. I understand that I could've used the holofoils better (as I said when I posted it), but I would never get the same results as the others, since they use rendered arts from the official media.

I'll keep a close eye to the Wording next time (I got lost when I saw the massive amount of text, maybe that's why I let those mistakes pass e.e), thanks for the judging!

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
I don't understand the -2 points in the third part of the Wording (since it's an attack and the opponent's Pokémon is defending it), but okay.
Wow, you're totally right. That's my mistake; I made an assumption I shouldn't've made and didn't bother checking for a reference. You shouldn't have lost those 2 points and your score should be 39, same as steffenka's.

@Gabs Kazumi @steffenka I apologize to both of you for not checking my own scoring before it was posted. In the interest of putting exactly four people through to the next round (b/c of how NP's planned bracket works), we'll do a tiebreak challenge for the two of you as soon as possible.

Again, sorry about that. >.>

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
Round 1 Tiebreaker
For this tiebreaker, you will need to create a text-based card that functions as a complement to the card you already made for Round 1. These cards will then be scored on the text-based rubric, and the person with the higher score will advance to Round 2.
You have just over 5 days, or until 12:00 PM EST on Saturday, March 16th, to complete this card.
Good luck!

Tagging @Gabs Kazumi and @steffenka.

Last edited:

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
The drama of it all! Anyways, here's my tiebreaker entry! :D

[Basic] Tapu Fini-GX HP180 [W]

tapufini.gif

Ability: Mysterious Fog
If any Stadium card is discarded by an attack, flip 2 coins. If both are heads, leave the Stadium card in play instead of discarding it.

[W][C] Carrying Stream: 40 damage
Switch 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon with their Active Pokémon.

[W][C][C] Ocean Empowerment GX
Search your deck for up to 5 [W] Pokémon, and put them onto your Bench. Then, shuffle your deck. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game).

Weakness: [G] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]
Pokémon-GX rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Decided to go for Tapu Fini, since I felt it would be fitting with the "field"-based attacks and Ability I had going with Mega Gyarados. The Ability, is supposed to assist Gyarados' attack, though in order for it not be "Energy Discard City", I added the 2 coin flip onto it so that it wouldn't make Gyarados way too good. With the attack, you can get any Pokémon from your opponent's bench into their active position, after which (with Gyarados in play) it would be harder for them to switch out. Finally, the GX attack is a way of getting Mega Gyarados onto the field, without having to Evolve and Mega Evolve from Magikarp and Gyarados.

References:
Carrying Stream: Floette (Forbidden Light)
Ocean Empowerment GX: Metagross GX (Guardians Rising), Ho-Oh GX (Burning Shadows)

Wishing @Gabs Kazumi the best of luck! May the best card win! :p

Gabs Kazumi

I didn't thought that we would have a tiebreak in this tournament :eek:

Well, here's my entry, I hope you like it :)

Spr_5b_456_f.png

Finneon - [W] - 60 HP
Basic Pokémon

Ability - Stage Assistant
Once during your turn, after you flip a coin for a Neon Spectacle attack, you may shuffle this Pokémon and all cards attached to it in your deck. If you do, your Neon Spectacle attack does 30 more damage (before applying Weakness and Resistance), and count the coin flip as heads.

[W][W] Rookie Presentation 20+
This attack does 10 more damage for each Finneon in your Bench.

Weakness: [L] (x2)
Resistance: None
Flavour Text: It lures in prey with its shining tail fins. It stays near the surface during the day and moves to the depths when night falls.

With this card, my Lumineon GX's Neon Spectacle shines a bit brighter. With a bonus damage and a way to fix the results of the coin flip, this card was designed to, as the Ability says, be a Stage Assistant to the main card.

I tried to check references for the text, but I didn't found any besides Fliptini (which has a similar effect). I hope it's okay :)

Good luck to @steffenka! And sorry for any trouble I may have caused XD

Also, I'd like to apologize for my last reply, I read it again and maybe it sounded rude (?)

Thanks guys!

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Also, I'd like to apologize for my last reply, I read it again and maybe it sounded rude (?)
Nono don't worry, it was totally my mistake. I'll do my best to make sure it doesn't happen again. :p

@Gabs Kazumi @steffenka I'll get to judging the tiebreaker this week, and we should hopefully have the next round up on Sunday. So ... stay tuned for that, y'all! ^.^

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Is it worth revealing the theme for the next round so that everyone else can make a start and so you don’t have to move deadlines around?

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Is it worth revealing the theme for the next round so that everyone else can make a start and so you don’t have to move deadlines around?
I would rather not until we know who's moving on. I don't want for both steff and Gabs to make a start and then only one of them get their card judged. :/

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
Good luck to both players in this tie-breaker. Horrible situation this as I hate tie-breakers, because it means one person is guaranteed to be eliminated!

NinjaPenguin

Round 1 Tiebreaker Results

Judge: @Jabberwock

@steffenka
[Basic] Tapu Fini-GX HP180 [W]

tapufini.gif

Ability: Mysterious Fog
If any Stadium card is discarded by an attack, flip 2 coins. If both are heads, leave the Stadium card in play instead of discarding it.

[W][C] Carrying Stream: 40 damage
Switch 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon with their Active Pokémon.

[W][C][C] Ocean Empowerment GX
Search your deck for up to 5 [W] Pokémon, and put them onto your Bench. Then, shuffle your deck. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game).

Weakness: [G] x2
Resistance:
Pokémon-GX rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Creativity/Originality: 12/20
The synergy is certainly apparent here. Mysterious Fog is probably my favorite part of the card, just because it’s an effect we’ve never seen before. It’s a shame it’d so rarely come into play given the odds on it, but I do like the effect. Unfortunately, there’s less to be said for Carrying Stream and Ocean Empowerment –– the former being a pretty generic effect in and of itself, and the latter being very similar to Dragonite-GX’s GX attack.

Wording: 8.5/15
- “an attack” -> “the effect of an attack” [-1 point]
- Need the “yours or your opponent’s” clarifying text for the Ability. [-2 points]
- “if both are” -> “if both of them are” [-1 point]
- The last clause of the Ability strikes me as really weird because it tells you, the user of the Ability, to do something that could apply to you or your opponent. There aren’t any effects like this one in recent memory, but in this instance I would draw from the actual Stadium rule itself, like so: “that Stadium card stays in play instead of being discarded”. [-2 points]
- Don’t need that comma in the GX attack. [-0.5 point]

Believability/Playability: 9/15
The card suffers a bit from Playability. I like what you were going with for the individual effects synergizing with individual effects on Gyarados, but the card strikes a strange balance between underpowered and barely beneficial (the Ability) and overpowered (the GX attack –– see Dragonite’s GX attack, on a Stage 2, for comparison). There’s also an aspect of questionable Believability with the Ability being allowed to stack –– if you really really really want to keep that Stadium card in play, you can Bench four Tapu Fini and flip for it four times.

Final Notes:
The synergy is evident, but the effects are in a weird place balance-wise.

Total: 29.5/50

@Gabs Kazumi
Spr_5b_456_f.png

Finneon - [W] - 60 HP
Basic Pokémon

Ability - Stage Assistant
Once during your turn, after you flip a coin for a Neon Spectacle attack, you may shuffle this Pokémon and all cards attached to it in your deck. If you do, your Neon Spectacle attack does 30 more damage (before applying Weakness and Resistance), and count the coin flip as heads.

[W][W] Rookie Presentation 20+
This attack does 10 more damage for each Finneon in your Bench.

Weakness: [L] (x2)
Resistance: None
Flavour Text: It lures in prey with its shining tail fins. It stays near the surface during the day and moves to the depths when night falls.
Creativity/Originality: 16/20
Stage Assistant works as a perfect foil to Neon Spectacle, removing the flippy element that might’ve made it unplayable and increasing the damage output to competitive levels to boot. It sort of reminds me of the things PCL is trying to do with Wishiwashi, only better executed. :p The synergy there is very well done. Rookie Presentation is nothing special, but the combo with the Ability is enough to carry you on this score.

Wording: 11/15
- “all cards attached to it in your deck” -> “all cards attached to it into your deck” [-1 point]
- “count the coin flip” -> “treat the coin flip” (References: Drowzee FFI, Cofagrigus PLF [-2 points]
- “in your Bench” -> “on your Bench” [-1 point]

Believability/Playability: 14/15
Despite the effect for the Ability being really unique, I can’t think of any reason why it shouldn’t be printed as an actual card alongside that Lumineon-GX. The balancing is all on point, and it actually functions as quite a boon to the Lumineon. -1 Point for missing ‘dex info.

Final Notes:
A well-thought-out combo with the Lumineon from the previous round. My only complaint aside from the wording is that Rookie Presentation is a less exciting part of the card.

Total: 41/50

Which means that Gabs Kazumi, whose Fantastic Finneon scored 41/50 points, has won the tiebreaker and is advancing to Round 2!
Sorry, steffenka, but that means that you have been eliminated.

Last edited:

NinjaPenguin

Round 2
The theme for the second round is No Abilities! This will work exactly as it seems. For this round, your card will need to be free of any form of non-attack effects, which includes (but is not limited to) Abilities, Poké-Powers, Poké-Bodies, Pokémon Powers, Ancient Traits, and held items. As always, be creative!

For this round, the matchups are:
@Gabs Kazumi vs @Nyan
@The Ωmega One vs @bbninjas

Here's the link to the updated bracket.

You have just over three weeks, or until Sunday, April 7th, at 12:00 PM EST to submit your cards for this round (the rest of the schedule in the OP has also been updated to reflect the tiebreaker). Good luck! :D

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
dd3w0bo-575dd62c-e324-4607-9f64-8d9de78e736d.png

Here's my entry! Whipped up the art for this last night after having the spoilers done for weeks. I'm pretty happy with the, uh, extended version of the art, but unfortunately I had to crop in for consistency's sake, so it's less pretty on here. Design wise, I decided to develop a combination that rewards players who continue to use Keldeo post-setup, as setup focused cards tend to become useless after their preferred phase. I reckon the synergy solves that problem effectively!

This card is designed to go along with my Keldeo Lv.X: [here].

Credits: @AwesomeEevee for the blanks and @aschefield101 for the holosheet!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Why do you all cut it so fine, tsk tsk! That would give me too much anxiety... :confused:

Gabs Kazumi

Good evening! (Actually here in Brazil we call it "madrugada", the period between 0:00 to 6:00 AM, but I don't think there's this distinction in English XD)

I'm almost falling asleep over the computer so here's my entry (the last, as always e.e)

Scrafty_Card.png

As seen in my other entries, you can tell that I really like Pokémon with Abilities. This theme was a bit difficult for me to think about, but I tried my best hahah

Scrafty is one of the Pokémon that were a core member of all my Unova teams. Before the advent of the Fairies, Scrafty was a good defensive mon, I remember annoying my friends when we used to battle with it, and this is the main inspiration for this card: it was made to mess with the opponent's table.

If the opponent's deck doesn't have a good Energy-moving mechanic, it will struggle against Scrafty. In the other hand, the natural counters of it are the Fairies: since their release in XY, moving Energies isn't a problem for them (in the actual meta, Gardevoir & Sylveon TTGX), and they hit Scrafty for Weakness, so I think its pretty balanced (?)

I went with a dual type so Scrafty could fit in both Fighting (focusing the first attack) and Darkness (focusing the team play) decks.

Swalot Celestial Storm - Attack Positioning
Incineroar-GX Guardians Rising - Attack Effect
Spiritomb Steam Siege - Attack Effect

All-Out Attack is a main mechanic of the Persona series, where the whole team attacks a vulnerable foe together. Scrafty is a common Pokémon of Bikers and Roughnecks, which often gather as teams, so I thought it was a good reference).

If you've read till here, there's a special surprise that I tried to make!

Scrafty_Card_Shiny.png

As I said in Discord, the other cards are AMAZING, I'm excited for the judging!

Wish you all the best of luck :)

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Good evening! (Actually here in Brazil we call it "madrugada", the period between 0:00 to 6:00 AM, but I don't think there's this distinction in English XD
I think we call that “an absurd hour in the morning” in English! :p

Nyan

She/They
Glaceon_GX.png
I decided to take the theme in more ways than 1, lol.

Although I usually do mix up from 2 Attacks and Attack & Ability, for CaC I usually do Ability/Attack, so this was an interesting change. Omega made this render and I decided it'd be perfect for this. Aesthetically, this is now among my favorite cards, i'm extremely satisfied with how it ended up looking. I brought down the text & GX bar because 1. I discovered you can do that (Compare Vaporeon-GX and Flareon-GX to Jolteon-GX. The text and GX bar are shifted for the sake of all the art being visual) 2. I really wanted to show off the detail in the render cause it's fricken impressive. You did a fantastic job on it, @The Ωmega One!

References:
- Registeel CES 96 (Cold Splitter)
- Alolan Ninetales LOT 132 (Cold Splitter)
- Golisopod-GX BUS 17 (Sudden Chill)
- Pachirisu LOT 80 (Sudden Chill)
- Alolan Muk SUM 58 (Freeze Up)
- Greninja BKP 40 (Freeze Up)
- Shiftry STS 11 (Freeze Up)
- Hex Maniac AOR 75 (Freeze Up)
- Cobalion-GX TEU 106 (Freeze Up)
- On Freeze Up: This was soooo complicated to word but I think this is the best I could possibly get it. Cobalion-GX uses the "During your opponent's next turn..." clause, whereas Greninja uses "Until the end of your opponent's next turn...", both for effects that directly apply to the opponent. However, Shiftry has an indirect/blanket effect, blocking out Stadiums and Tools until the opponent ends their turn. Hex Maniac also has the same exact effect as the attack and uses the "Until the end" clause. The only examples of "Until the end" starting a card effect is all for indirect effects (none of these are SM, but 3 are XY), but all causes of the use of "During" have had some effect directly applied to a single mon. This leads me to believe "During..." is used for directed effects, where as "Until the end..." is used for indirect effects. Either way, the end clause/italicising is confirmed from Cobalion-GX.

Freeze Up broke my head, lol. I think I put in my best effort on it though~