Help Two Newbies Building a 40 Card Deck

Frédéric Schmidt

Aspiring Trainer
Hello everyone.
My girlfriend and I are veterans in drafting mtg but we are newbies with the Pokémon TCG.
We want to participate in a local tournament with the following rules:
- 40 card deck
- Expaned format
- 2 copies oft a single card, as definedby the cards's English title, except basics
- Common, uncommon, rares are allowed

So my questions are:
- How does the core of a 40 card deck look like (which/how many Trainers)?
- How many energy cards should I use at least in a 40 card deck?
- How many pokémon cards should I use in a 40 card deck?
- How many Stage 1 lines / Stage 2 lines can handle a 40 card deck?
- What Trainers should i consider if my deck uses a Stage 2 line?

Thanks for your help.

Moved thread from the Deck Garage to the Competitive Play forum, because the OP is asking for help with building a deck, not providing a list and asking for advice on it~

Hello! Sounds like a very unusual tournament: hopefully, someone on the board has experience with it. I can offer some advice, but please be aware I am just guessing. There are some things you might want to clear up, whether for questionable helpers like me or someone who actually knows that he or she is talking about. ;)

Hello everyone.
My girlfriend and I are veterans in drafting mtg but we are newbies with the Pokémon TCG.
- 40 card deck
- Expaned format
- 2 copies oft a single card, as definedby the cards's English title, except basics

• Is this a Constructed or Limited Format Event?
  • How many Prize cards are set aside at the beginning of the game?
  • Single-game matches, or best of three?
  • Sideboard?
  • Do you still have five spaces on your Bench?
  • Are Promos treated as their own rarity?

Yes, some of this should be obvious but we already have an unusual collection of restrictions, so I wish to avoid assumptions. :)

To clarify what I mean about "unusual", 40-Card decks are usually only a Limited Format in Pokémon. Pokémon, yet you refer to it as Expanded Format and sound like you're building your deck from your own cards.

The Limited Format doesn't actually follow the 4-copy rule at all; as long as there isn't a printed restriction printed on the card itself - such as with Prism Star cards or Ace Specs, provided you don't exceed the maximum deck size you can run as many of something as you pulled. The 2-copy rule exists, but I've only seen it in the semi-official, obscure 30-Card rules variant.

To be clear,
I'm not challenging you on what is being played, just trying to make it crystal clear you're playing using a very unusual rule set. Just one of having 40-card decks, the 2-copy rule, or the rarity restrictions would produce a very different metagame... and we're dealing with all three here!

With these answered, then we can at least attempt to give you decent answers to your own questions. ;)

Honestly, im not sure, this is a very out there format.

In a pre-release you have 40 card decks and usually you play around 15 energy, maybe 12 trainers and the rest Pokémon.

Try to build as consistently as possible, have one- two main goals for the deck and aim to focus on that

Hello everyone.
- 40 card deck
- Expaned format

So my questions are:
- How does the core of a 40 card deck look like (which/how many Trainers)?
- How many energy cards should I use at least in a 40 card deck?
- How many pokémon cards should I use in a 40 card deck?
- How many Stage 1 lines / Stage 2 lines can handle a 40 card deck?
- What Trainers should i consider if my deck uses a Stage 2 line?

Thanks for your help.

Never played that format before either, but...

If it's an expanded-eligibility event, then you have a huge number of cards available. This helps you get around the 2-of-each limit.

You might make sure the rarity restriction means no GX/EX - it probably does, but that makes a huge difference if it doesn't!

It's a bit different from draft or prerelease, because you can have a sensible number of supporters.

You probably have 4 prize cards. An option that would be stellar in 4 prize format would be Buzzwole, or any ultrabeast. That's because Buzz's main attack and also Beast Ring both are eligible to use turn one. Something crazy like:
Pokemon(7):
Buzzwole(2) (works on 4 prize turn) (1 fighting, 2 fighting)
Poipole(1) (for Naganadel)
Naganadel(1) (works on 3 prize turn) (3 colorless)
Celesteela(1) (works on 6 total prize turn - so perhaps 4/2, 3/3, etc.) (1 steel)
Pheremosa(1) (works on 1 prize turn) (2 grass)
Nihilego(1) (works on opp. 1 prize turn) (1 psychic)

Supporters (7):
Cynthia (2)
Erica's Hospitality (2)
Professor Sycamore(2)
Volkner (1) <- to get Beast Ring

Items(13) :
Beast Ring (2)
Fighting Fury Belt (2)
Nest Ball (2)
Mysterious Treasure (2)
Computer Search(1)
VS Seeker (2)
Friend Ball (2) <- with so many types you probably can use this, or else ultra ball, but i'm hesitant to discard too much here

Stadiums(2) :
Viridian Forest (1)
Ultra Space (1)

Energy (11):
Fighting (2)
Steel (2)
Psychic (2)
Grass (2)
Rainbow Energy (2)
Beast Energy Prism Star (1)

Might work; it would have to be really carefully refined and probably some of those UB's could go. But the _main_ point would be using Buzzwole turn one, so you'd want to have as much of a shot as possible at getting Buzz turn one (that is why you start 2 of them). It's possible a simpler list, really, could work just as well:

Pokemon(3):
Buzzwole(2)
Diancie Prism Star (1)

Supporters (8):
Cynthia (2)
Erika's Hospitality (2)
Professor Sycamore (2)
Guzma(2)

Items(21) :
Beast Ring (2)
Fighting Fury Belt (2)
Computer Search (1)
Nest Ball (2)
VS Seeker (2)
Red Card (2)
Rescue Stretcher (2)
Switch(2)
Acro Bike (2)
Enhanced Hammer(2)
Crushing Hammer(2)

Stadiums(2) :
Brooklet Hill (or Ultra Space) (2)

Energy (6):
Fighting (3)
Strong Energy (2)
Beast Energy Prism Star (1)

This would be pretty easy to play; basically you hope you start with Buzzwole, and if not you make sure to get it out ASAP and get Diancie out of active with Guzma/Switch. You have a ton of items and those hopefully get you what you need, you could even add a few more speed-up items or deck shrinking items, like Battle Compressor or Judge's Whistle or what have you.

Then, you just whack with Buzzwole, first turn for 120 with Sledgehammer, then Swing Around once your opponent is able to take a prize card (possible the first turn of course, but hopefully not!) Use Beast Ring at some point to put two of those fighting energy on one of your Buzzwoles. Use Rescue Stretchers to bring Buzzwoles back that you lose.

I imagine these could be improved significantly by someone who knows Expanded items/supporters better than I do.

Last edited:
Back