• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Our Lord Zard v2.0 (Charizard/Alolan Ninetales GX)

Lord Charizard

Aspiring Trainer
Been doing a LOT of testing, goin to several places for locals and free play, and this is the list I am currently using:

Pokemon:15

4 Charmander
4 Charizard
3 Alolan Vulpix
2 Alolan Ninetales-GX
2 Tapu Lele-GX

Items:21

4 Rare Candy
3 Nest Ball
3 Pokemon Communication
3 Ultra Ball
2 Choice Band
2 Energy Recycler
2 Rescue Stretcher
1 Field Blower
1 Switch

Supporters:8

3 Cynthia
2 Guzma
2 Lillie
1 Erika’s Hospitality

Stadiums:1

1 Heat Factory Prism Star

Energy:15

15 Fire Energy

Still having some setup issues, but running much smoother now, after testing I went with Nest Ball over Professor Elm. Thoughts? Getting all info I can, got a League Challenge on the 24th and Denver in early April, :)

I spy with my little eye no Elm's Lecture and low Nest Ball and Lillie counts , no wonder you have problems during setup. Either go 4 Nest Ball, 4 Lillie or 4 Elm's. I'd go with Elm's since you are running Lele-GXs and enough searchers to get them early.
You can remove a couple of energy if you don't have enough space, 12-13 should be enough with 2 Recyclers.
You might want to add a Charmeleon or two as well (doesn't matter which), you'll probably need it against non-GX decks or in case you get item-locked/discard too many Candies etc.
You might want to consider Jirachi instead of Ninetales if you can afford it, especially if you go for Elm's instead of Lillie-Nest Balls. It opens up a couple of deck slots you might want for extra utility cards like Guzma or Choice Bands, as was already mentioned.

Hmm, I had already tried Elm's, it kept getting in the way of the rest of my board, and Charmander kept getting KO'd much too fast being forced to use the 50 HP Charmander. And knowing I have no backup attackers like Zapdos or Lucario my opponents have no problem with spending attacks on the babies, . So to run Elm's and Analysis I would have to swap the Vulpix/Ninetales for an increased Flareon line, which would also compound the energy problem, this deck is very hard to stream with attackers against 1 prize decks, this is true, primary reason I run Flareon.

Only problem with Bill is I only own one, and all the copies everywhere I go are in use, sadly.

Hi Lord Charizard,

Increase the amount of draw supporters and consider a Jirachi engine to search out the Rare Candies in addition to Bill`s Analysis.

Pokémon (14):
  • 1 Victini Prism Star (beatdown)
  • 4 Charizard SM09 (beatdown)
  • 1 Charmeleon SM4 (evolves)
  • 4 Charmander SM4 (evolve)
  • 1 Ditto Prism Star (evolve)
  • 3 Jirachi SM09 (search)
Trainer (34):
  • 3 Bill's Analysis (search)
  • 1 Brock's Grit (retrieval)
  • 3 Guzma (control)
  • 3 Cynthia (draw)
  • 4 Lillie (draw)
  • 1 Rescue Stretcher (retrieval)
  • 1 Energy Recycler (retrieval)
  • 3 Escape Board (retreat)
  • 4 Rare Candy (evolve)
  • 4 Ultra Ball (search)
  • 4 Nest Ball (search)
  • 2 Shrine of Punishment (beatdown)
  • 1 Heat Factory (draw)
Energy (12):
  • 12 Fire Energy

The list above has worked real well for me. Victini Prism Star is a nice alternate attacker that also retrieves the discarded Basic Fire Energy which provides the deck with three options to recover discarded Basic Fire Energy. Between three Jirachi and three Bill's Analysis the deck should have little issues to find Rare Candies and Charmeleon is here to be used with Ditto Prism Star as the fifth Charizard to hit the board. Another benefit of this approach is that the deck is entirely non-GX based. Hope this provides some initial assistance.

Only 2 major issues with that list. One is purely a logistics issue, getting 3 Jirachi and getting enough time to properly playtest in time for Denver is quite difficult.

The other is Victini, I just don't like it, I used him for weeks, and he never once did anything but be a prize card for my opponent, I might put him back in if I decide to use Welder.

Overall I like the idea of returning to a Shrine build, it hits the numbers much better because of not needing to overload, such as needing 4 energy or 3/Choice Band to 1-shot a 190 like Buzzwole/Ultra Necrozma.

My only real debate is getting both the Jirachi and the time to properly test :(

Have you tried using Counter Energy with this deck? It would allow charizard to go from 0 to 4 energy easily against Tag Teams, and also spare itself from ability damage when attacking low HP mons. It would also have synergy with Victini Prism Star, since it would only need one attachment if you get down on prizes, and make it so you wouldn't have to bench it right away.

Never mind - I found that Charizard's attack only increases damage for each "card" you discarded, not each energy, so Counter Energy would be no better than one fire energy discarded.

*cries*

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you don't use Charmeleon, after your Rare Candies are gone, you have no way of evolving again. Perhaps a Meganium build could be good? That way you only need to draw 1 candy to go off, and from there you can toss out a constant stream of attackers, recycling them with stretchers and energy recyclers, without taking the extra turn for charmeleon.

Is Pokemon Communication better than Ultra Ball? I would think you'd first max out on ultras before comms.

The problem with Meganium is running 2 seperate stage 2’s, that’s just way to demanding on space and means that if I can’t get both out fast and then keep them there I’m screwed.

The problem with Meganium is running 2 seperate stage 2’s, that’s just way to demanding on space and means that if I can’t get both out fast and then keep them there I’m screwed.

Sure, I understand the downsides, but it is different than other strategies involving multiple stage 2s, since you only need one candy to get going.

Have you tried a single copy of Elm, to search with Lele turn 1? As opposed to 4 Elm.

Do you need 15 Energy? Since you attach it directly from the deck, I would think you wouldn't need that many. You could cut some to make room for another Nest Ball and/or Lillie (or anything), and you can add another e-recycler (or even brock's grit) to make up for the fewer energy.

I did mod my deck somewhat for CDC today, Upped Lillie to 4, Guzma to 3, Nest Ball to 4, added 1 Charmeleon and reduced my energy by removing Flareon (he was the main reason energy count was so high).

Flareon could hit like a freight train but required such a careful maintenance on energy, I couldn't just go in guns blazing if I wanted to have a 1-turn nuke setup. But I decided to try focusing om Charizard and keeping him streamed and alive, so we'll see how it goes.

Back