Games Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Megathread

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
To be honest the only newcomers I'm not looking forward to are Ken and Isabelle, everyone else looks like they'll be fun to play as. Spirits also looks interesting.
Can we just talk about how Ungrateful so many people were? It was honestly frustrating. Sakurai poured his heart and soul into this game, and gave us SO MUCH, and yet people still complained, soley cuz they (myself included (I didn’t complain tho)) put their faith in a leak.
A fake leak to be more precise. the hoaxer revealed himself (it was that same fool that bought an obscene amount of Rosalina amiibos on release and refused to sell them to people that wanted them because he hated the character) after the Direct and how he pulled it off.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Just in general, people will be salty about everything. That doesn't mean there is a genuine reason for it, other than people being spoiled.

It's simply human nature to whine, complain, and be salty about things when they don't go your way, or suit your interests.

I am, very excited for this game. While I don't have a Switch yet, I do hope to get one for Christmas. Will I ask for the game then? Maybe, if I remember. :p

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
I finally preordered the game after months of flip-flopping and managed to find an online store still taking preorders for the Special Edition (where I am, that's the one with the steelbook case and the Smash Bros.-themed Switch Pro Controller). My only gripe is now I'll have to preorder the standard version at Best Buy if I want the collector's coin.
It's simply human nature to whine, complain, and be salty about things when they don't go your way, or suit your interests.

I am, very excited for this game. While I don't have a Switch yet, I do hope to get one for Christmas. Will I ask for the game then? Maybe, if I remember. :p
Try to get the Smash Bros edition if you can, but I suspect they'll be sold out everywhere WAY before Christmas (or even Black Friday, they're flying off the shelves regardless of price).

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
I finally preordered the game after months of flip-flopping and managed to find an online store still taking preorders for the Special Edition (where I am, that's the one with the steelbook case and the Smash Bros.-themed Switch Pro Controller). My only gripe is now I'll have to preorder the standard version at Best Buy if I want the collector's coin.

Try to get the Smash Bros edition if you can, but I suspect they'll be sold out everywhere WAY before Christmas (or even Black Friday, they're flying off the shelves regardless of price).

I'm not extremely picky, nor am I in a rush to get the game and play it. I do want a copy to play, and to have when I do get my Switch, but it's not the end of the world if I don't get it right away.

I'm working a job at a movie theater, with rather late working hours; so even if I got quickly after getting my Switch, I won't have a whole lot of time to devote to playing it.

Especially since I have other games in mind that I want to go alongside it.

Nyan

She/They
Dropping myself into here because oh boy I am so hyped for this game :D

Characters that i'm interested in playing (You're gonna notice a theme of quick, rushdown characters on this list, by the way~):

Pikachu: My trusty secondary in Smash 4. If Sonic wasn't the first character I learned combos for in 4, I would've been a Pikachu main. Now with all the buffs it got in Ult., I'm sooo exited for this character, who I will most likely be maining.
Inkling: I adore Splatoon and everything about the series (the characters, the artstyle, the music, the dorkiness of it all, etc.), and being able to bring that love into Smash bundled into a package of great moves is just fantastic.
Pokemon Trainer/Squirtle/Charizard: My Charizard in 4 was arguably better than my Pikachu, and now that it's got 2 buddies to go along with it I don't think I have much else to say other than yes please. I'll most likely be using Squirtle for most of the match, switching to Zard when I need kill power... and maybe i'll find a use for Saur. Nothing against the character, it looks amazing, just not quite my playstyle.
Roy: I remember someone saying that Smash 4 Roy is a character built for Ultimate's engine but in Smash 4... which is completely true. Being reliant on approach game wasn't very good when run & shield was such a great option in 4. Roy didn't have anything that could get him where he wanted to be. In Ultimate though, things have changed, and this character looks very, very promising.
Pit: Pit's an interesting one, because only recently did I find interest in playing Pit. He's got a lot of what I like: deadly aerials, good speed, lots of recovery options, and a combo game. I wouldn't be surprised if this sleeper pick winds up being my secondary.
Sonic: Oh... where do I begin. I'm not the happiest with the new changes to my 4 main... but I don't think I'm going to stop playing him. It's very strange... I never wanted to be a Sonic main, it just kinda came out to that Sonic was just my best performing character. I learned some things with him and took those things far. I did the same with all my other characters, but I just succeeded more with Sonic.
Isabelle: When she was revealed, I fricken died. My inner furry literally exploded. It was just so shocking that she's in the game... but oh golly I love the fact she's in the game. Being able to beat people up with one of the most innocent characters that has ever existed within a video game just sounds so satisfying. I get that their different characters in all, but this is the same reason I played Villager in 4 (I actually wasn't bad with Villager, either!). This is just an upgrade for me (not a jab at Villager, I may still play Villager seriously but I doubt it.)
Lucario: Lucario, ever since Brawl, has been the character I use to "test" people. I'm not great with Lucario, but i'm not bad, either. Lucario is a character that, at least in my opinion, has a lot of options, those options being influence even more by your opponent's due to Aura. If they're playing aggressive and get you to high % early, blast kill moves & charge Aura Sphere every opportunity you can. If they're playing defensive & trying to poke you off, play safe but on the aggressive side. Lucario almost seems to be able to morph it's role as a match goes on. As a result, I like to think Lucario has a pretty neutral matchup against most of the cast, bar a few exceptions.

Anyways, 3 days left... can't wait to get this game!

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
I can't get over how incredible Inkling is. Definitely top tier but not exactly be itself if you know what I mean.
I completely agree. I main Inkling as well and she is busted. She has fantastic aerials, excellent movement / dash dance, great recovery (although not so much when you're getting back on stage from the ledge specifically), and her side-b, should you land it, nets you a kill like 99% of the time followed up by a smash attack, F-Smash and U-Smash specifically. On the topic of aerials, Back Air is one of the silliest things I've seen so far in this game. I honestly just spam it in neutral (fast falled of course) and I win neutral with it so many times. I can space with her Bair, I can approach with her Bair, I can edgeguard with her Bair, it's honestly soo good and if Inkling ever gets nerfed that move is gonna be the first thing I think about if that ever happens. Ink Grenade / Down-B is also very good for helping you approach as well as set up ledge traps. I love this character and happily playing her since midnight of the release. And she's considered a top tier / mostly top 10 character in the game as of this patch.

Let me tell ya, as a Yoshi main in the previous iteration of Smash for the Wii U, it feels so good to pick up an actually good character and start getting good with it. I feel like I deserve to play a top tier after dealing with Smash 4, it's Bayo players killing me off the top, and Diddy Kongs throwing bananas to constantly get advantages.

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
@Holden Sheeks Yoshi has ridiculous zoning with egg and stupid air combos!!
I've heard that people have been calling him either super underrated or actually really good, so I guess I'll have to try and pick him up again for Ultimate, but as of this post I'm not fully accustomed to his new movement, completely different than he was in Smash 4.

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Bowser Jr.’s aerials are busted. His dash attack is also pretty good too.
And then there’s the rest of him...

I don’t know, I just wanted to say SOMETHING.

Pokefam

300 something/400
Hey everyone! I have unlocked every character in smash and would like to hear who everyone thinks are 3 best people. For me it geos:
1) Inkling
2) Pikachu
3)Young link

I am currently playing Mega Man and I find his air game spectacular and his grabs can lead to some great set ups.

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
What's different about him in Ultimate?
Well, a couple of things. Just the way he moves thanks to the engine is one thing, since Yoshi can finally dash dance and when you jump, I swear he skyrockets immediately to the peak of his jump just like most other characters in this game. Furthermore, the up-B on the Eggs send him way more up than he ever did in any previous games, boosting his recovery by a longshot. Not that any of this is negative in any way, this just makes him different and playing him similar to what I did in Smash 4 punishes me a little. Eggs are not as safe as they were in Smash 4. Better because they bounce off the ground, specifically meaning that Yoshi can hover direct horizontal space just by throwing the egg in a certain direction, but not as hard-hitting as Smash 4's eggs now that most other hitboxes slash through the eggs. Up-air can juggle way more consistently now, and his tilts are all overall better.

I feel kind of bad for not responding to this post in like....oh god almost a full month but I recently picked up Yoshi again to try and play in tournaments again and I'm happy to report I've been doing rather decently with him. I placed 8th place out of 110 people in an Ohio monthly tournament, losing round 1 already as my Inkling and then making a godlike losers run with mostly Yoshi from that point on.

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
Now that I have finally had the play time to unlock all of the playable characters, I can officially join this saying that my main is Corrin. I have learned her (since I play female Corrin) combos better and faster than any other character and actually used her to unlock most of the games players. This is the first Smash game I have actually gotten into and I'm going to say that, as someone who has never played a Fire Emblem game, I really like the majority of its characters as portrayed in Smash Ultimate but will only really play Corrin out of the bunch.

With Corrin as my main, I have Link as my secondary and Greninja as a tertiary.

Mountain Wrecker

Soggy Cardboard.
does anyone have good tips for pokemon trainer? im trying my best to use the movesets of all three pokemon but i often times just use ivysaur bc im a bit lost.

Nyora

A Cat
I’ve had the game since release day and have played it almost every single day but still don’t know who my main is. I’m trying out Dark Samus, Chrom, Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Kirby, Piranha Plant, Roy, and Ridley. That’s what I’ve boiled it down too since release :U