Contest January 2019 CaC: Artificial Pokémon! (Results Up!)

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
1bEMUZn.png

Welcome to the January 2019 round of the Create-A-Card! Beginning this round, by popular demand, the CaC will revert back to having a single month for entering and submitting, but will still be followed by an “off-month” for the judges to do their work.

This month’s theme is Artificial Pokémon. Interpretation of this theme is up to you –– we don’t have a particular banlist in mind –– but whatever your choice in Pokémon, you must be able to justify to the judges why it’s artificial, synthetic, or man-made. As always, be creative!

This contest has two sections, text-based and image-based fakes. For text-based fakes, all you have to do is create a card in text form and post it in here! For the image-based fake, you’ll need the help of some software to let your creations come to life. But one thing remains important between both of them: your cards must be completely original!

Registration

• To sign up you must reply to the thread below. Make sure to include whether you’re in for text or image-based fakes!
    --
  • You may register with a partner and work together on the same card. This way each member can use their different talents and combine their skills, especially if one of you is an artist and the other is a TCG player. (Feel free to post in the thread that you’re looking for a partner if you want one.)
    --
  • We have a total of 20 spaces available for text-based entries and 20 for image-based. If you’ve never done an image-based card before, now is a great time to learn! PokéBeach has many card blanks and guides available for use.

Judging

--------
Text-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    We’re all tired of effectless attacks! Without images, part of the intrigue with text-based fakes is the creativity of Pokémon Power / Body / Ability / attack effects. Let’s see something cool and new!
    Total: 20 points
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of card you choose as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.

Text-based fakers may format their entries any way they choose, but for those who are new or would like a guideline to follow, this is a simple formatting guideline you can follow:

Pokémon – Type – HP50
    Stage 1 – Evolves from Pokémon

Ability: Name
    Ability Effect

[R][C] Attack 20
    Attack Effect

Weakness: Fire (x2)
    Resistance: Psychic (-20)
    Retreat: [C] [C] [C]
    Pokédex Information

Total: 15 points
    ---
  3. Believability/Playability
    Text-based fakes rely heavily on their believability. Think of your entries as if they were real cards. Try to avoid those 400 HP monsters which do 200 damage for [R]! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration. We will assume that your card is being created for the current TCG era unless otherwise stated, so if you are making a card for a previous era, you must mention this in your entry post.
Max Points: 50

--------
Image-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    This should be a given. With the proper photo editing tools, let your imagination run wild! This can involve innovating new gameplay mechanics, blanks, templates, etc.
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.
    ---
  3. Fonts and Placement
    Correct fonts are imperative when creating realistic fakes. Placement of text / symbols / etc. is also taken into consideration.
    Total: 10 points
    ---
  4. Believability/Playability
    Because this division of the contest is so image-heavy, the believability and playability takes a backseat here. However, it’s still worth a portion of the total points, so try to keep it in the realm of believable! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration.
    Total: 5 points
    ---
  5. Aesthetics
    Aesthetics is all about how your card looks as a complete whole. Aspects of this category include using creative and appropriate artwork, using neat or custom blanks, and overall having an appealing card creation. Additionally, You may not use existing artwork from the TCG for your cards. If you’d like to use Ken Sugimori stock artwork, you may do so, but it must be transformative in nature.
    Total: 5 points
Max Points: 50

So that’s the point breakdown for this quarter’s Create-A-Card. @Jabberwock will be judging image-based, and @VioletValkyrie will be judging text-based.

We’re always looking for new judges. Keen to join the team? You can learn how to apply here.

General Rules

• For those entering image-based, you must include the symbol here on your card (such as the set symbol) or else your entry won’t be accepted. It was designed by the lovely Nekoban Ryo who continuously creates resources for the faking world and faker himself. In addition, we do not allow any image-based entries that have been made using automatic, online card generators.
    --
  • If you edit your post you’ll have an instant deduction of 2 points from your overall score, and posting your entry again on a different post also deducts 2 points. When you submit, make sure you’re done! If you mess up the tags or have a similar coding disaster, contact myself or the month’s judges as to get it fixed. If you forget to credit someone, do so in a new post instead of editing.
    --
  • Participants who fail to submit a card by the deadline, if the particular portion is full, will automatically lose 2 points for next round (similar to losing 2 points for the current round for editing). If the portion you have signed-up for is full and if you wish to drop out, you must do so with three days remaining before the deadline to not incur the penalty. Continuing to fail to post a submission in future rounds will result in a possible ban from the contest for a couple of months. Please keep a close eye on the deadline.
    --
  • All CAC entries should not be posted elsewhere in the PokéBeach forums while the current month’s contest is ongoing. If you have a personal thread or gallery where you post your fake card creations, you must wait to post your CAC card there until the contest is complete and full judging results have been posted. This is to ensure that CAC judges can continue to give proper feedback both within the contest and in the forums.
    --
  • Artists (illustrators) are free to post in this thread, letting participants know that they are available.
    --
  • All entries should meet the forum rules. You should always credit the artist, and never use someone else’s art without their permission, else it is considered art theft.

Deadline: January 31st (Thu.) 12:00pm EST
Here’s a deadline countdown for convenience: [link]​

Anticipated Entrants

Image-Based:
  1. @Nyan
  2. @Kavross
  3. @Gabs Kazumi
  4. @steffenka
  5. @that ivy guy
  6. @The Ωmega One
  7. This could be you!

Text-Based:
  1. @Vom
  2. @Blakers
  3. @Anime Psyclone
  4. @Lord o da rings
  5. @Luplayz
  6. @Lord Goomy
  7. @FlashRayquaza
  8. @Nyora
  9. @GamePhoenix
  10. @Professor_jplap
  11. @A Dragon of Destiny
  12. @FourteenAlmonds
  13. This could be you!

Bold names means I have seen your entry in this thread.

Want to help advertise the contest? Just paste the code below for the banner in your sig!
Code:
[url=https://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/january-2019-cac-artificial-pokémon.148992/][img]https://i.imgur.com/1bEMUZn.png[/img][/url]

Credit goes to @Nekoban Ryo and @Jabberwock for the banner.

Last edited:

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
/in!

Hold on, that doesn't work.

Seriously though, I loved this theme idea and really wanted to push for it to be a real idea we used. Thanks for the feedback on the previous system since we love to hear from you guys. I'm super excited to be the judge for this one, so do your best!

Nyan

She/They
In for image!~

Really, really looking forward to this one. The designs of "artificial" Pokemon have always intrigued me, and my idea for this one is gonna be... fun :3

Anime Psyclone

Guiding Light. Will Unchanged.
why not post it now?

XD001 GX/Basic/ HP:170 /Psychic
[C][P][P]Blackout Breakdown: 40+
If this attack is not Super Effective, this attack does 40 damage plus 110 more.
[C][D][P][P][P]Lugia’s Lunacy GX: 200-
Choose one of your Benched Pokémon and one of your opponent’s. Both of them are Knocked Out. For every Basic Pokémon knocked out this way, subtract 10 damage from this attack, every Stage 1, 20, and every Stage 2 40. Only take prize cards if the Opposing Pokémon is knocked out with this Attack.(You can’t use more than 1 GX Attack per game.)
———GX Rule: When 1 of your Pokémon-GX is Knocked out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Weakness: Fairy 4x
Resistance: N/A
Retreat Cost: [C][C][C][C]

Shadow Lugia, or XD001, only came about because of humans. Anyways, I always wanted an attack that was stronger when it wasn't super effective, and Lugia's Lunacy was made purely for the name, but I do think that the effect of the GX Attack is unique and interesting. It's also a glass cannon, since it's HP is low for a GX, but it was going to be much higher. Fairy is often symbolic of light, which would be the weakness of a Shadow Pokémon.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
I was going to wait but I don't want anyone taking this Pokémon from me lol.

[Stage 2] Porygon-Z [C] HP150
Evolves from Porygon2

Ability: Glitch in the Matrix

When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon during your turn, you may use this Ability. As often as you like during this turn, you may put any Stage 1 or Stage 2 card on any of your other Pokémon to evolve them. If a Pokémon put into play in this way would go to the discard pile, put it in the Lost Zone instead. You can use this Ability during your first turn or on a Pokémon that was put into play this turn.

[C][C][C] Blue Pill 90
The opponent's Active Pokémon is now Asleep.

Weakness: [F]x2
Resistance: -
Retreat: [C][C]
Its programming was modified to enable work in alien dimensions. It did not work as planned.

I swear I wanted to avoid picking the most obvious Pokémon ever, but I could've never done something as crazy with Mewtwo or Silvally (the other options I considered). With that out of the way, if you didn't notice the Matrix references you should feel bad my original idea was to make it a one-turn Broken Time Space, but that one was a wording nightmare (it was some hybrid of Lycanroc-GX, Electropower, Meganium LST and FoGP) so I turned it into a one-turn Ditto Prism Star instead.

It still helps Stage 2 decks, and I actually like this end result better than what I had planned. It didn't need nearly as many references (mainly just Megainum and Lycanroc), still fit the glitch theme, and isn't braindead since it basically allows you to sacrifice the late game for a better set-up. The existing Porygon-Z basically makes it useless, and you still need to grab all the Pokémon you possibly can. I also made sure it has to stay there taking a space on the Bench by specifying "other Pokémon" so you can't just slap it down and immediately get rid of it.

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
I was going to wait but I don't want anyone taking this Pokémon from me lol.

[Stage 2] Porygon-Z [C] HP150
Evolves from Porygon2

Ability: Glitch in the Matrix

When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon during your turn, you may use this Ability. As often as you like during this turn, you may put any Stage 1 or Stage 2 card on any of your other Pokémon to evolve them. If a Pokémon put into play in this way would go to the discard pile, put it in the Lost Zone instead. You can use this Ability during your first turn or on a Pokémon that was put into play this turn.

[C][C][C] Blue Pill 90
The opponent's Active Pokémon is now Asleep.

Weakness: [F]x2
Resistance: -
Its programming was modified to enable work in alien dimensions. It did not work as planned.
I swear I wanted to avoid picking the most obvious Pokémon ever, but I could've never done something as crazy with Mewtwo or Silvally (the other options I considered). With that out of the way, if you didn't notice the Matrix references you should feel bad my original idea was to make it a one-turn Broken Time Space, but that one was a wording nightmare (it was some hybrid of Lycanroc-GX, Electropower, Meganium LST and FoGP) so I turned it into a one-turn Ditto Prism Star instead.

It still helps Stage 2 decks, and I actually like this end result better than what I had planned. It didn't need nearly as many references (mainly just Megainum and Lycanroc), still fit the glitch theme, and isn't braindead since it basically allows you to sacrifice the late game for a better set-up. The existing Porygon-Z basically makes it useless, and you still need to grab all the Pokémon you possibly can. I also made sure it has to stay there taking a space on the Bench by specifying "other Pokémon" so you can't just slap it down and immediately get rid of it.
I can still do my own art for a Porygon-Z card, right?

Anime Psyclone

Guiding Light. Will Unchanged.
Oh yeah, if you think about it, since the games are man made, every Pokémon follows suit in being man made. And before you say that it's in universe, GAME FREAK as a company not only exists but made the games in the lore.

Anyways, I do expect a massive amount of Porygon entries.

Blakers

Holder of the Holy Diamond!
Oh yeah, if you think about it, since the games are man made, every Pokémon follows suit in being man made. And before you say that it's in universe, GAME FREAK as a company not only exists but made the games in the lore.

Anyways, I do expect a massive amount of Porygon entries.
The Pokémon we choose for our cards don necessarily have to be man made. They just have to be artificial in some way, or not completely natural (as far as Pokémon goes). :p

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
I can still do my own art for a Porygon-Z card, right?
Yep! I think Vom just didn't wanna look derivative. :p

Not sure that logic is in the spirit of the theme. :UUU

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
Put me in. First entry in about 11 months, it's been such a long time. It's a man-made Pokémon in that it's literally just 108 souls sealed away by some magic dude and they all merged into one thing. Probably. Have fun with this Violet, it's made with love. ♡

Spiritomb HP: 70 - Psychic
Basic Pokémon

spiritomb.gif

NO. 442 Forbidden Pokémon HT: 3'03" WT: 238.1 lbs.

Ability: Keystone Curse
Whenever your opponent plays a Pokémon from their hand to evolve 1 of their Pokémon, put a Keystone marker on 1 of their Pokémon. Pokémon with Keystone markers take 30 more damage from attacks (after applying Weakness and Resistance).

[P][P] Imprisoned Gamble 20
Your opponent flips a coin. If heads, your opponent may remove a Keystone marker from 1 of their Pokémon. If tails, this attack does 60 damage to 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

Weakness: None
Resistance: None

Pokédex: A Pokémon that was formed by 108 spirits. It is bound to a fissure in an odd keystone.

JAN2019CaC, Lorde
- Po Town, BUS 121
- Spiritomb, SLG 47
- Buneary, UPR 106
- Onix, CES 71
- Alolan Ninetales GX, LOT 132
- Ribombee, LOT 146
- Tapu Fini, LOT 151
- Choice Helmet, LOT 169
- Custom Catcher, LOT 171

Well that's a lot of references, yikes.

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.

Well my original idea was for people to explain how their entry fits this month's theme. If you don't, that's perfectly fine, but if something like this is your reasoning, or your reasoning just doesn't work, I've penalized people for not following the theme the previous time I judged. Keep this in mind.

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
This month’s theme is Artificial Pokémon. Interpretation of this theme is up to you –– we don’t have a particular banlist in mind –– but whatever your choice in Pokémon, you must be able to justify to the judges why it’s artificial, synthetic, or man-made. As always, be creative!
Ahaha, don't mind me.~ I didn't read this little part. Anyways, just pay attention to this. I think your entry should be able to speak for itself on how it fits the theme, and it's up to you to do what you want with it. But it should be clear you're following the theme, and if you don't think it's clear, explain it or pick another Pokémon.

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
Yep! I think Vom just didn't wanna look derivative. :p

I have a new idea that I like even more. It’s pushing the artificial rule but the lore supports it throughout the den entries. It’s one of my favorite Pokémon as well!