• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Lightning Speed (Tapu Koko GX & Zeraora GX)

chrisg1904

Aspiring Trainer
Before Lost Thunder even came out, I searched for good Lightning Pokemon to go with Zeraora. I knew Apu Koko GX was going to be good with Zeraora, and I thought about how it can be used with Wishful Baton. Maybe Electropower can be used with Volkner. The thing is, without the Naganadel, you really want to run 3-4 Zeraora to get that GX off turn one if you go second. That seems to be the early play if you go the Zebstrika deck or even Shuckle. What's funny is that I really wanted to get my hands on a full set of Poipole & Naganadel for another deck. Then I came across a couple YouTubers that had the same idea as me with the Tapu-Zera combination, only they combined those two, with the Naganadel. I was really impressed!

Tapu Zera Deck #1
3x Tapu Koko GX (SM33)
2x Zeraora GX
3x Naganadel (LST)
3x Poipole (LST)
2x Tapu Lele GX
1x Oranguru (Ultra Prism)

4x Acro Bike
4x Electropower
4x Ultra Ball
3x Choice Band
2x Mysterious Treasure
2x Rescue Stretcher
1x Thunder Mountain Prism Star

4x Guzma
3x Cynthia
3x Sightseer
2x Acerola
2x Lillie

12x Lightning Energy

Deck#1 is a speed deck more so than #2. You have the Acro Bikes in this one. Many people like 4 Cynthia, but I don't. I liked Prof Sycamore more than N, and now I like Sightseer more than Cynthia. Just about the same cards, but this deck is really fast that I like 4 Guzma. 3-3-2 Draw power Supports feels good to me.

Tapu Zera Deck #2
3x Tapu Koko GX (SM33)
3x Zeraora GX
3x Naganadel (LST)
3x Poipole (LST)
2x Tapu Lele GX
4x Electropower
4x Ultra Ball
3x Choice Band
2x Mysterious Treasure
2x Rescue Stretcher
3x Aether Paradise Conservation Area
1x Thunder Mountain Prism Star
4x Guzma
3x Cynthia
3x Sightseer
2x Acerola
2x Lillie
13x Lightning Energy

Deck#2 makes your Koko & Zeraora bulkier to withstand a turn if they try to OHKO you (Depending on what you're up against of course).

For both of these decks, you mainly want to get your Poipole's out there as soon as possible. Starting the game with Zeraora or Poipole for it's use of looking at your prize cards to map out your game. Turn 1 seems to just be set up. Turn 2 you are in full throttle with a Tapu Koko in hand and ready to at least use one Nagandel Ability - Charging Up. With Electropower & Choice Band, you may be able to OHKO with Koko, more times than not, you may need two turns for Koko. Zeraora is your secondary and OHKO attacker. You kind of need to place your one turn energy placement on him, while Koko takes energies off your multiple Naganadel. If you do come across Fighting Decks, which right now Buzzwole/Ninetales or any other variant is dominating my area, You don't need to use the Zeraora. Putting energy on Nagandel may help in those decks weak to Psychic.

Any thought or comments are appreciated. I may be making a couple changes to my deck and see which one I like the most.

Actually, this deck ain’t half bad! It’s a good idea, but it’s missing one thing. Shuckle.
I like the speed version more, and I’d swap up to 2 Choice Band for the Shuckle.
That’s what I think. See ya!

Actually, this deck ain’t half bad! It’s a good idea, but it’s missing one thing. Shuckle.
I like the speed version more, and I’d swap up to 2 Choice Band for the Shuckle.
That’s what I think. See ya!

I'm finding it that you want to have your bench: Tapu Lele, Zeraora, at least two Naganadel, and the last spot is for another Koko; if three Nagandel, you want the second Koko in hand. Shuckle is good for the ability, but it is useless after you put it down. I am thinking of putting in 4-4 Naganadel, always wanting 3 on the field or shooting for it. You can't always count on the Thunder Mountain.

I am still doing further testing, but right now I am thinking of this pokemon line:

3x Tapu Koko GX (SM33)
3x Zeraora GX
4x Naganadel (LST)
4x Poipole (LST)
2x Tapu Lele GX

I've test over the weekend. No tournament but against a lot of decks. Still using Deck #1, I think there's a way to add 2x Aether Paradise to Deck #1 without giving up too much. Overall, I am really enjoying this deck. Turn 1 set up, Turn 2 onwards are all explosive! Current Pokemon line up:

3x Tapu Koko GX (SM33)
2x Zeraora GX
3x Naganadel (LST)
3x Poipole (LST)
1x Tapu Lele GX
1x Shuckle (LST)

Tapu Koko/ Zeraora sure is fun. Yes, 3 stadium cards to my experiences is ideal, and I think 4 stadiums for deck #2 is 1 card too much. Take for example, Granbull deck, it only have 3 Shrine of Punishment, meaning the fourth is a liability.

What happened to the 2nd Tapu Lele GX, I know Shuckle is really good but so does getting more cards to get Lele in turn 1?

Tapu Koko/ Zeraora sure is fun. Yes, 3 stadium cards to my experiences is ideal, and I think 4 stadiums for deck #2 is 1 card too much. Take for example, Granbull deck, it only have 3 Shrine of Punishment, meaning the fourth is a liability.

What happened to the 2nd Tapu Lele GX, I know Shuckle is really good but so does getting more cards to get Lele in turn 1?

Sorry it took a while for me to get back to you. It's been a crazy weekend and work week so far.
Deck #2 has only made it into play testing, and never seen any competitive play. Since I have been able to incorporate Aether Paradise... into Deck#1, I have stuck to this deck since I played with it competitively.
As for the 2nd Tapu Lele GX... With so much play, I never want Shuckle & Tapu Lele GX on the field at the same time. It's either one or the other. Deck#1 is all about having that Speed, and it has never failed me. Typically, if I played Tapu Lele GX, I went through my hand and have at least used Mysterious Treasure or Ultra Ball before using Lillie or Cynthia off of the Wonder Tag. After that, almost guaranteed to run into an Acro Bike, Ultra Ball, etc. to further get more cards in hand and energies in the discard. Once this is set up, you don't need the Shuckle or another Lele. Now this happens vice versa as well. If I don't have Lele, but I have Shuckle in my hand, I put him on the bench, Fresh Squeezed to discard energies, and Ultra Ball, Acro Bike, etc. into other needed cards into my hand.

My Single Tapu Lele GX hasn't seen the Prize Cards section often, and having the choice to use Shuckle or Lele is something I have come to easily work with. Your bench looks like this most the time: 1 Shuckle/Lele GX, 2 Naganadel, 1 Zerora GX, and a spot for a second Tapu Koko GX (your active is almost always your first Koko) or a third Naganadel. If you have 3 Naganadel on the floor, you should have Tapu Koko GX in hand ready to be placed in the next open bench slot.

Btw, As fast as this deck is, I played a deck with 2-3 Judge in it. I had no problem with building back up my hand, although, I did think I'd be in tough spots against that deck...

Back