SM9 'Tag Volt,' Japan's December Set!

Trent Piland

Aspiring Trainer
I used a translator and found a solid guess:

Sabrina - Play this card and look at opponents hand, then select a Supporter from their hand and use its effect for this card.

Bill - Look at the top 7 cards and choose 2 Trainers from there and put in hand.

Judge Man Whistle - Play 1 draw a card, play 2 bring a card back from discard??? translation is choppy, but if this is the case holy crap about time.

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
Recharge > Charge, a move that Alolan Geodude gets. Minor, but it should be consistent with what the video games say.

JumpluffTCG

Aspiring Trainer
Omastar: If this Pokemon is in play and you have fewer Pokemon in play than your opponent, your opponent can't play item cards.

What?

Mr. Mime: Your opponent cannot return a Pokemon or any cards attached to it to their hand if it has any damage counters on it.

WHAAATT???

So I see Mr. Mime as a way to make these 250+ HP basics more balanced and completely invalidates Acerola/AZ/Super Scoop Up to keep stall in check. And Omastar is one-sided item lock that works from the bench which is absurd. You can also Maxie it into play in Expanded. Can't decide between which of these is the best card from the set.

I'm also a fan of the Judge Whistle, which allows you to search your deck for a Judge or play one from the discard. This makes Judge a significantly better card and also makes Alolan Ninetales GX more versatile.

Plaquesanta

೭੧(❛〜❛✿)੭೨
Omastar: If this Pokemon is in play and you have fewer Pokemon in play than your opponent, your opponent can't play item cards.

What?

Mr. Mime: Your opponent cannot return a Pokemon or any cards attached to it to their hand if it has any damage counters on it.

WHAAATT???

So I see Mr. Mime as a way to make these 250+ HP basics more balanced and completely invalidates Acerola/AZ/Super Scoop Up to keep stall in check. And Omastar is one-sided item lock that works from the bench which is absurd. You can also Maxie it into play in Expanded. Can't decide between which of these is the best card from the set.

I'm also a fan of the Judge Whistle, which allows you to search your deck for a Judge or play one from the discard. This makes Judge a significantly better card and also makes Alolan Ninetales GX more versatile.

Judge whistle also makes Alolan Vulpix a little less viable :(. It's nice to see some item-based supporter search/recovery back in format. A couple of SPAS decks become a good bit better with even a little more draw support like that.

Plaquesanta

೭੧(❛〜❛✿)੭೨
I'd rather have a Bench Barrier Mr. Mime Reprint, but this new Mime is good, if a bit niche. It'll be a nice choice for a tech slot if you're going to see a lot of Zoroark somewhere.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
"Since this is promoting Kanto, I really hope this will be the set that finally gives us Lorelei in the TCG after all these years!!!" said a naive Frost.

*gets Volkner and Cynthia instead*

welp,

Anselm Sim

Aspiring Trainer
Kanto set is hitting me in the 90s feels.

EXACTLY.

The brock card is Brocks Grit reprint, the computer looking thing is a Pokemon Communication reprint.
Source on twitter translated for me

Brock’s Grit reprint means the infamous Sableye Raichu Lock is back o_O

Will Kabutops Maxie’s Be OP in expanded? Imagine you place Kabutops in the Active with Vileplume on your bench :confused:

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
Starmie is interesting but Alolan Marowak is better thanks to the zero energy cost.

That Beedrill is decent and thanks to the Kakuna we got a couple of sets ago, it is easy to set up. It's first attack pretty much guarantees a free KO on something unless it gets OHKO'd. Likely going to be using Bodybuilding Dumbell's to help it.

Zipplip

Aspiring Trainer
...how
EXACTLY.

Brock’s Grit reprint means the infamous Sableye Raichu Lock is back o_O

Will Kabutops Maxie’s Be OP in expanded? Imagine you place Kabutops in the Active with Vileplume on your bench :confused:
Why play Vileplume when Maxie’s also gets out Omastar...

Anselm Sim

Aspiring Trainer
Oh wait I didn’t see Omastar... but you gotta have less Pokémon that your opponent though...

Just thought about it: Riotous beating can still Ko these fossil Pokémon no problem :(

...how

Why play Vileplume when Maxie’s also gets out Omastar...

kusa

Aspiring Trainer
where's my hitmonchan gx, hitmonchan gx or hitmonchan & hitmonlee tag team! T______T

jperr

Aspiring Trainer
ok alolan exeggutor is actually broken in expanded with propogation exeggcute

it’s just like weavile eggs but sooo much better

Aera14

Aspiring Trainer
Got to say I was not expecting latio and latias my hype is at an all new high let use hope the attack ability makes up fort that janky attack cost tho.

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
Alolan Egg isn't as busted as he seems unless you use Lance and Ditto Prism Star. Otherwise, you need an Exeggcute to Evolve, you probably want a backup to promote for the next turn, and one could always be prized. Not worth investing in.