Ruling Sceptile ability against ultra beasts

Audiofreak19

Aspiring Trainer
i had a quick question about Sceptile’s ability that says it “prevents damage” done to any of your Pokémon with a grass energy attached from opponents ultra beasts. Does this include special conditions? Can you burn or poison the opponents Pokémon that has a grass energy attached with Sceptile in play?

Hi there,
As a beast box player who has a brother who plays a straight sceptile deck(just to annoy me), I can definitely tell you that you can poison sceptile with ultra beast such as poipole or the new nihilego. It is however largely not affective as you have to wait 6 or 7 turns just to get a knockout. Now with the grass prism stadium that poipole's poison attack is not effective at all.:(

Sceptile's Ability 'Power of Nature' reads: "Prevent all damage done to your Pokémon that have any Grass Energy attached to them by attacks from your opponent's Ultra Beasts".

Special Conditions are not considered to be attacks, so your Pokemon will still be effected by things like poison or burn since they're caused as a result of a condition. Even if the attack has an effect that causes a condition, it's still a condition.

A similar ability was with Virizion EX from Plasma Blast. It had the ability 'Verdant Wind' which read : "Each of your Pokemon that has any G Energy attached to it can't be affected by any Special Conditions. (Remove any Special Conditions affecting those Pokemon.)" This ability functions in the same way, just substituting damage from Ultra Beasts for Special Conditions.

Ok thanks. I’m just thinking about the outs I would have with blecephelon which I could bring up sceptile and burn+confuse them. And if I texted in well volcano park, it would make it hold unless he retreated

i had a quick question about Sceptile’s ability that says it “prevents damage” done to any of your Pokémon with a grass energy attached from opponents ultra beasts. Does this include special conditions? Can you burn or poison the opponents Pokémon that has a grass energy attached with Sceptile in play?

Damage from an attack is damage from an attack; it is usually the number printed to the right of the attack's name and effects, or sometimes a number printed in attack's effect text, or sometimes a number arrived at by working through the card's printed damage and effect text. Damage is not the same as placing damage counters; as part of resolving an attack, damage always leads to damage counter placement but damage counter placement does not always stem from taking damage.

Special Conditions can be inflicted as the effect of an attack, but they can also be the result of various non-attack effects. Power of Nature prevents neither.

Special Conditions do not do damage. If you want to get techincal, Confusion and (I think) Poison did damage under some of the earliest rules, but the rules were revised so they placed damage counters possibly as far back as when WotC was in charge of the game.

Ok thanks. I’m just thinking about the outs I would have with blecephelon which I could bring up sceptile and burn+confuse them. And if I texted in well volcano park, it would make it hold unless he retreated

Shaking Special Conditions isn't all that difficult, and there are better Stadiums to run for the deck in question. Remember, Power of Nature only grants its protection to Pokémon with a source of [G] Energy attached. While not always an option, you should already be running Guzma; remember you can attack something that has no [G] Energy attached (if it is there). While not found in all decks, if your opponent does not have multiple [G] Energy attached to whatever you want to KO, using something like Crushing Hammer, Enhanced Hammer, Plumeria, etc. can remove their only [G] Energy and leave them totally open to attack.

Or you can just include a non-Ultra Beast attacker.

@Otaku thank you for also for that break down. I have been modding the jap list to run an additional Guzma and I was gonna include a non ub attacker and then I realized I have two already. LeLe. Just have to prepare it early if you run into it.

Back