SM9 'Tag Volt,' Japan's December Set!

Sabaku

Aspiring Trainer
That's the problem of some stage 2s. You forced to run 4 RC just to evolve them as quick as possible, rather than reserving some space for some good trainers.
  • Charizard - The ability is basically Incineroar-GX Dark-type. As an attacker, ehh. Its alright! You need 3 R and shrine to KO relevant basics. 3 Geodudes. Being played for ability is what I disagree of.
  • Blastoise - you need to run multiple W energy just to hit it every turn. Use it on Palkia or some stuff that do damage depends on the energy on the field. Other option than Aqua Patch. And you notice that its been 5 years that we've finally get a new Squirtle card. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Erika's Hospitality - Its a pseudo-Colress. 3-4 Geodudes

Worse. It's a Bianca with restrictions unless you play against Expanded Zoroark and don't know what a Sudowoodo is.

The Almighty Bidoof

Just your everyday MtF trans Bidoof worshipper
I feel like Blastoise and Charizard being revealed together without Venusaur means either 1. No Venusaur in the set or 2. Venusaur GX?!

momand

Aspiring Trainer
Erika is a nerfed Lillie, there is literally no reason to play it.

EDIT: The wording is weird. It looks like it could be draw up to the number, meaning you can have 5 in hand and opponent has six pokemon play Erika, draw two so you have two in hand
OR
Opponent has six pokemon, you have a five card hand, play Erika, draw six cards but you have the option to draw less than six if you want.
pretty sure it's the second option

TheRealBro..

Poor Venusaur never gets the love lol...

Somewhere deep inside I hoped a Venusaur card with awesome artwork like this will also appear but hasn't been announced yet.. Not very realistic, I know. These days it's almost like there were two starters back in gen 1 instead of three. I guess a big flower isn't as cool as water cannons or breathing fire.

They should make a ghost/grass type Venusaur in the future; the dumped starter that grew a grudge instead of a flower.

Pokefam

300 something/400
The ability is nice but what are you accelerating to , blacephon already has nagandel , ho oh has kiawe, and stage 2 's are clunky. Overall, subpar card

birdboy2000

Bird Keeper
There's not much in the way of great draw in standard and everyone's filling their bench these days, so why not just get the free draw 6? Erika's hospitality seems better the more I think about it, although it does have some downsides (no super-big hands, if your opponent bricks or is playing Sylveon or something it's all but useless. I'd almost always rather play Colress in expanded though.)

Charizard looks excellent. I know it's a low-HP attacking stage 2 but that's a free 130 and scales up to 210 with just attachment + band. If it's not too clunky to work (a real possibility between the high energy needs and stage 2 non-GX factor, admittedly) it could be a format-shaping card, I'm already trying to think of counters.

Blastoise... ehhh, doesn't seem great but maybe there's a combo I haven't thought of.

IvanAipom93

Ice/Electric type member
Charizard sure stronk, but I can't see it like a real threat: its role is being an attacker, and right now there could be simpler Fire examples. Blastoise instead, being able to flood the field with water (energies!), is a potential key card for water decks. Right now the Alolan Ninetales-GX support for stage 2s is strong, also you can play the other water Alolan Ninetales, so there could be great sinergy.

Christopher Shehan

Aspiring Trainer
That charizard seems like it could make itself relevant, even for being a stage 2. The blastoise line is my favorite of all time so I am excited to see what can be made with that.

Timmony_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
Hope everyone's looking forward to playing against 270 HP Wailord and 240 HP Steelix in future Standard stall decks

Not to mention 300 HP Wailord-EX in Expanded...

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
I LOVE IT.
...oh, IF it has an RC of 4? Ph, I thought it gave it an RC of 4. That’s... tanky.
...I don’t like it anymore.

ShinyZard

Aspiring Trainer
Charizard is one of most people's favorite pokemon and mine me, so I'm really glad we got a somewhat playable Charizard in a very long time. Being able to do 130 (180 with energy attachment for turn and 210 with choice band) every turn as a non-GX attacker is really nice in this format. Plus stage 2 is easier to get out these days with the new Alolan Ninetales GX (fairy). Thanks TPCi!!! But where is Venusaur to complete the Kanto starter Trio :(