Discussion Countering Blacephalon

osmyth

Aspiring Trainer
Any thoughts on the best way of countering Blacephalon/Naganadel, aside from playing a one-prize Water type?

Thanks in advance.

Survive. NOTHING comes back from the Lost Zone, not even Blacephalon GX’s Energy. If you run your opponent out of energy, there’s nothing they can do.
Although, yes, a single prize Water type would help.

So, my son, playing Gardevoir, could use Enhanced Hammer (to stop a +30 from a Beast Energy, meaning they'd need 5 energy to OHKO), Choice Helmet (meaning they'd need 6 energy to OHKO, assuming no CB or BE) or Sudowoodo (Roadblock) and target Naganadel to restrict their energy acceleration?

I'd like to see Blacephalon GX's performance against high-HP one-prize Pokemons. At some moment in the game it'll run out of energies.

Survive. NOTHING comes back from the Lost Zone, not even Blacephalon GX’s Energy. If you run your opponent out of energy, there’s nothing they can do.
Although, yes, a single prize Water type would help.
So Hoopa. Or Alolan Ninetales.

Plumeria, Team Skull Grunt, and Choice Helmet are all things. Enhanced Hammer also exists, although it doesn't help against Blacephalon.
Those aren't mill cards. Mill is specifically sending cards from deck to the discard (the term comes from the MTG card Millstone)

And ever then those energy removal cards don't work against Naganadel because it just keeps getting them back every turn

Those aren't mill cards. Mill is specifically sending cards from deck to the discard (the term comes from the MTG card Millstone)

And ever then those energy removal cards don't work against Naganadel because it just keeps getting them back every turn
Only one though. All you have to do is keep your opponent from attacking while you damage them. Two hits is all it takes to KO a Naganadel.

Only one though. All you have to do is keep your opponent from attacking while you damage them. Two hits is all it takes to KO a Naganadel.
It's not only one because there are multiple Naganadels on the board all recharging an energy. Including manually attaching an energy from hand they are getting 3-4 energy a turn on the board. You aren't going to stop them from attacking you

Which one prize water type can be teched into a deck? I didn't find one. But there is also something else, namely (W)-type Alolan Ninetales GX in Fairytales decks, use Choice Band and Kukui to hit for (50+20+30)x2 = 200 damage and if they miss a OHKO then Ice Path them for the win.

For some reason whether it's rarity or not, I'm barely seeing any play from Blacephalon-gx online. I had 1 match with it and nothing afterwards, Most Ninetales Gx Boosted decks. If your playing online I wouldn't worry too much about blacephalon(probably being traded like crazy anyways)

i imagine quagsire box would body it pretty hard...OHKO active blacephalon and spread 20 to bench with volc prism early, not sure how they would keep up in prize race from there, as you have plenty of options to trade evenly or better with naganadels.

i imagine quagsire box would body it pretty hard...OHKO active blacephalon and spread 20 to bench with volc prism early, not sure how they would keep up in prize race from there, as you have plenty of options to trade evenly or better with naganadels.

What attackers do you run in this deck? Pure curiosity. Quagsire decks I've seen these days seem to have consistency issues.

I have a winning record against it so far with my Hoopa/Articuno mill deck. Hoopa gets two-shot by Naganadel, which isn't great, but Articuno-GX one-shots everything on their board (except Lele I guess.) You'd think mill decks would just fold to Naganadel's ability, but they usually play cards *other* than Naganadel, which opens up plays like guzma trapping, and don't really have a way to get energy from the discard onto Blacephalon. If they do just try to rely on Naganadel the whole game, well, that's what Articuno is for.

I don't expect people to shift en masse to my weird mill deck, but any hard-hitting water attacker should cause similar problems for the deck, and safeguard (or other immunities - isn't there a Sceptile that walls ultra beasts outright?) can definitely slow it down.

What attackers do you run in this deck? Pure curiosity. Quagsire decks I've seen these days seem to have consistency issues.

Catron’s list from Memphis is a good place to start... 2-3 lapras gx, 1 palkia gx, 1 kyogre, volc prism, quagsire itself is good attacker as well

Back